B
bdgtfb Offline OP
bdgtfb  Offline OP
B

usa
Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by Stanton
The blue Moroso gaskets. Not cheap, don't look "stock" but dammit, they don't leak !!

Depends on the head and the valve cover. The wrong combination of parts will rip the Moroso gaskets to shreds. The rubber peels right off if you use some cast valve covers with the Moroso gasket and cast iron heads.

Yep, I have a ripped up set of Morosos hanging in my shop to remind me to never spend $40 for these and try to use them with iron heads and/or stock valve covers. I have always used (before and after the Moroso debacle) Mr Gasket ultra seal gaskets glued to the valve cover with 3M trim adhesive. The yellow stuff that is like contact cement. I call it gorilla snot. No need to put anything on the head side. I also recommend cast valve covers no matter what gasket you use but a good set of stock covers is usable just more likely to resist sealing. Do not under any circumstance use anything like "Right Stuff" unless you're ok with using a BFH to get the covers back off. Do Not use Rtv sealants unless your ok with finding chunks of Rtv in your oil pickup screen.
By the way the gorilla snot also works good on oil pan and timing cover gaskets

Do you know the actual name of " The goilla snot"? Thanks

Re: Leaking 440 valve covers [Re: bdgtfb] #3241165
06/28/24 06:44 PM
06/28/24 06:44 PM
A Banana Republic near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

I only run factory stock stamped steel covers, factory chrome on my 69 GTS 383 car, I used the black thick Fel Pro gaskets, glue them to the cover with ultra black and use factory hardware.

You need to make sure the rails on the cover are FLAT .

running up my post count some more .
Re: Leaking 440 valve covers [Re: JohnRR] #3241205
06/28/24 09:26 PM
06/28/24 09:26 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
"Gorilla Snot" = 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive.
Not for stuff you might need to take apart later without shredding.
Back in the day, the SoCal off-roader guys (sand buggies, Baja racers) swore by it to keep the sand & dirt out.

Re: Leaking 440 valve covers [Re: topside] #3241233
06/28/24 10:38 PM
06/28/24 10:38 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
years ago a friend made his own deep sump oil pan for his 69 R/T. He installed it with the windage tray, two non-cork gaskets and the "snot". Unfortunately the first speed bump took out the drain plug pity
I remember him laying under the car on a 890 degree day, hanging from TWO pry bars trying to get the pan off swearing up a storm 🤣🤣🤣. Once off, he swore he'd never use the snot again 🤣

making sure the covers are flat as mentioned is step #1. Myself, with used steel covers, I will either use thick cork or composite (combo of rubber and cork) with Ultra Black on both sides of the gaskets and tighten slowly and evenly in a crisscross pattern. If a leak is persistent looking at the impression in the gasket will usually point to the cause.
whistling twocents beer

Re: Leaking 440 valve covers [Re: JohnRR] #3241244
06/29/24 12:09 AM
06/29/24 12:09 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by JohnRR
I only run factory stock stamped steel covers, factory chrome on my 69 GTS 383 car, I used the black thick Fel Pro gaskets, glue them to the cover with ultra black and use factory hardware.

Yes this works. Back in ancient times I had a fixture that allowed me to mill the valve cover rails on cast iron heads flat. I used to mill all the rails flat on the heads that I worked on. Some stock heads are WAY off of flat. Sometimes I would have to take multiple passes on the mill before they were flat, level and square to the world.

Re: Leaking 440 valve covers [Re: topside] #3241259
06/29/24 02:30 AM
06/29/24 02:30 AM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
Originally Posted by topside
Back in the day, the SoCal off-roader guys (sand buggies, Baja racers) swore by it to keep the sand & dirt out.

that's why I only put it on one side of the gasket. It holds the gasket in place during assembly and prevents the gasket from squeezing out.
If you want something similar that comes apart a little easier try Edelbrock Gaskacinch.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Leaking 440 valve covers [Re: GomangoCuda] #3241410
06/29/24 11:09 PM
06/29/24 11:09 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
Originally Posted by topside

that's why I only put it on one side of the gasket. It holds the gasket in place during assembly and prevents the gasket from squeezing out.
If you want something similar that comes apart a little easier try Edelbrock Gaskacinch.

If I use the WS adhesive, it is done so sparingly and only when needed to hold a gasket in place during assembly. Several small spots spaced out will do the trick without making them a chore for the next guy wink

Re: Leaking 440 valve covers [Re: AndyF] #3241429
06/30/24 01:30 AM
06/30/24 01:30 AM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by JohnRR

Yes this works. Back in ancient times I had a fixture that allowed me to mill the valve cover rails on cast iron heads flat. I used to mill all the rails flat on the heads that I worked on. Some stock heads are WAY off of flat. Sometimes I would have to take multiple passes on the mill before they were flat, level and square to the world.

At one point I remember putting a head on the bridgeport to see what I needed to do to fab up a fixture to accomplish this without tilting the machine head. I may get one back on and give it another shot .

running up my post count some more .
Page 2 of 2 1 2