Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Marion, South Carolina [><]
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Originally Posted by ZIPPY
I've used 17748, the 2.5" version on my 2005 5.7 Hemi Magnum.

*It's important to differentiate between the short case one that usually drones, and the long 20" case model that usually doesn't.

The car had no cats and an H pipe, so very similar to an older car in that regard.

I loved them, they were just right for a good, throaty sounding driver that was never annoying.
Long distance drives, 3-5 hours, no problem at all.

They do not flow well. The car felt faster with 2 chamber flowmasters, and even those don't flow well.

But they do keep the car pretty quiet and sounding good.

I feel they are a little too quiet for an occasional short distance Hellraiser kind of a car which is why they make the race bullets and the ultra flo.

Well, I used to work for Dynomax & I can assure you, a 2.5" version of the Super Turbo flows better than a 2.5" or 3" 2 chamber, 3 chamber, or Delta flow Flowmaster. The 3" Flowmaster versions had flow rates of around 350 scfm, while the 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbos have flow rates of around 410-420 scfm. Comparative OE mufflers have flow rates of usually under 200 scfm. I remember buying a pair of 16" bodied Chrysler "Hemi" mufflers from Mitchell Motors back in the early 80's - to replace the 20" bodied originals on my old '71 Hemi Charger. The mufflers from Mitchell flowed like CRAP - I could immediately tell they were restrictive. Back then I didn't know crap about exhaust. I should have installed a set of Walker Red Line Z mufflers, which evolved into the Super Turbos.

The big differences internally between a Dynomax Super Turbo & an OE muffler are two things: the size of the internal perf tubes, & the Super Turbos have flow directors (bank turns) at each end, & OE's do not, and most other performance mufflers won't either. If you buy a 2.5" in/out Super Turbo, it will have 2.5" flow tubes inside. An OE type muffler with 2.5" inlet/outlet, will usually have 2" dia internals. A CHEAP, crappy turbo muffler (like the Thrush California Boss Turbos) have 2 flow tubes internally & NO packing, plus the flow tubes are smaller diameter. Super Turbos have a fiberglass mat that wraps around the center section of the muffler (you can see it in the photo someone posted), but this mat breaks down in about a year or two, & the mufflers will get louder - especially the 14" ones. Some oval mufflers have two flow tubes, some have 3. The Super Turbos are GOOD turbo mufflers. The Dynomax Ultra-Flow mufflers are straight-through, & they do not "tune" the sound like Super Turbos do, so they sound different than each other. From a flow standpoint, the scfm of a 2.5" 14/20" Super Turbo offset/center is around 410, and a straight-through Ultra Flow is around 1100. There is a HUGE difference in flow, but do you really need the extra flow of the Ultra Flow? Only a few dyno runs could tell you. Bob Karakashian & many of the other guys running in the Pure Stock Drags are using the Dynomax Ultra Flows. Those WAAAAAY outflow flowmasters & all other non straight-through oval mufflers. The stainless Ultra Flows with the stock-style spun-locked heads, flow the same as the Dynomax race series welded construction mufflers - also now called Ultra Flows. The welded series are offered in bigger flowpath & bigger in/out than the stainless ones, so there is more variety. On a closing note, I don't know what the internals are like in the Accurate mufflers, & I don't know who is building them for them - I doubt they have the equipment to build them & especially fab the spun-locked heads. If they do, then that's impressive.

There are quite a few mufflers currently in the Dynomax & Thrush line that I suggested & partially designed. There were also ones that I tried to get them to bring to market, but was unsuccessful. One was reverse flow Super Turbos in 2.25" & 2.5" versions for AAR's & T/A's - the standard oval size but 20" long. *They currently offer these reverse flow mufflers, but they are only 14" long bodies - not long enough. Those were referred to as "fabricator" mufflers. I have been building my own chambered exhaust mufflers & mufflers for AC Cobras since 2002.

There is a drastic difference in performance b/t the Ultra Flow and the Super Turbo. My dad's road runner...fairly mild 440 six pack, worked 906 heads, 509 cam, headers and full 3" exhaust.
We switched from Ultraflows to Super Turbos and it felt like the car lost 40 hp. It was bad enough that my 70 year old dad came back after the first test drive and said we had to change it back! He liked the sound (he wanted it quieter), but the loss of performance ruined it.
We decided on a set of Hooker Aerochamber mufflers. Not as loud as the Ultraflows, but louder than the ST's, and the performance felt a LOT better.
These were all 3" offset in/center out.

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers " 17747 [Re: gtx6970] #3214855
02/20/24 10:37 AM
02/20/24 10:37 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Originally Posted by gtx6970
Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by 2JcodeChargers
Bill,
I have the mufflers you are asking about on my 68 Hemi Road Runner. The 2.5" in/out Dynomax's. You are welcome to come up to the Phoenix area and we can go for a ride if you want??
Chris

Chris the 2.5 in out is the 17748 , Bill was asking about the 17747 with is 2.5 in , 2,.25 out.

John,
747 is 2.25 in and out
and should be here by the end of the week

oh thats even worse haha , I thought I read it was 2.5 in ... need to get my glasses updated

running up my post count some more .
Re: Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers " 17747 [Re: JohnRR] #3214878
02/20/24 11:48 AM
02/20/24 11:48 AM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Originally Posted by gtx6970
Originally Posted by 2JcodeChargers
Bill,
I have the mufflers you are asking about on my 68 Hemi Road Runner. The 2.5" in/out Dynomax's. You are welcome to come up to the Phoenix area and we can go for a ride if you want??
Chris

Chris the 2.5 in out is the 17748 , Bill was asking about the 17747 with is 2.5 in , 2,.25 out.

John,
747 is 2.25 in and out
and should be here by the end of the week

oh thats even worse haha , I thought I read it was 2.5 in ... need to get my glasses updated

its what the pipes on my car are. Im after a sound, Not all out performance

Maybe someday down the line I would like to up the full exhaust to a 2.5inch system front to rear . But thats a project for another time

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4