D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Again, any shop that cuts corners is wrong for doing so, and has no business fixing a tricycle. You also agreed with me, at least in part. Bill the customer, let the customer deal with the insurance company. The repair facility's business is with the vehicle owner, not the insurance company.

I don't necessarily agree with that. We always made it clear that we were working for whomever was paying for the repairs. It was the customer's job, primarily, to come to terms with the insurance as to what was to be done. With our input of course. So, I felt I had to make the payer happy. Whomever that was and sometimes it was a little of both.

In both insurance and warranty work, I have often been asked to do more than the covering party has agreed to. ALWAYS when put in that situation, I ask for a significant cash deposit from the owner before the additional work would be performed. And who was responsible for what was made clear from the outset. That way, we were not in the middle of a pi$$ing match which I have seen many times.

In the end, in warranty and insurance work, I felt we were working for who was picking up the tab. Customers frequently want extra work done if they think they won't have to pay for it. I didn't mind going to bat for the customer if his requests were reasonable. And have even went to court for customers. But who is paying for what MUST be clear from the outset. And THAT is who I was working for.

Master, again and still
Re: Layoffs hit the Gecko [Re: DaveRS23] #3186103
10/24/23 08:45 AM
10/24/23 08:45 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline OP
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline OP

Legally, the shop’s obligation is to the vehicle owner. Legally, the vehicle owner is responsible for payment. How you choose to operate is your business, but it has no bearing on the law. Collision Hub has tons of information about this topic, backed up by attorneys familiar with the industry.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Layoffs hit the Gecko [Re: not_a_charger] #3186127
10/24/23 09:43 AM
10/24/23 09:43 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Legalese vs the real world.

If you want to take instructions from the person who is NOT actually paying the bills, then all I can say is......good luck with that. All we seek to do is to make sure EVERYONE understands who is responsible for what. From the start. Sometimes that takes a three way conversation to iron out, but is preferable to the alternative.

Personally, after decades in business, we have never been taken to court over this practice. But have testified on our customer's behalf. And only once did it not go the customer's way. So, we do keep the customer's satisfaction in high regard. Just not to the point that we are hung out to dry.

Maybe you could call Collision Hub for help if you do it your way and run into this kind of situation.

Master, again and still
Re: Layoffs hit the Gecko [Re: 360view] #3189181
11/06/23 06:15 PM
11/06/23 06:15 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
GIECO goes from loss to profit

sample quote

Berkshire’s insurance underwriting business generated earnings of $2.4 billion, up from a loss of $1.1 billion during the same quarter last year.
Insurance investment income increased to $2.5 billion,
up from $1.4 billion from the same period a year ago.

Geico, owned by Berkshire and one of the country’s largest insurance companies, reported an underwriting profit of $1.053 billion — a sharp gain from a loss of $759 million during last year’s third quarter.

end quote

But the parent company racked up a big loss, while also building up a huge ready cash pile to possibly buy a company

sample quote

The Omaha, Nebraska-based conglomerate saw investment losses of $23.5 billion last quarter, compared to a loss of $10.4 billion a year earlier.

The company’s cash hoard rose to $157.2 billion, up from $147.4 in the second quarter of this year.

end quote

from

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/04/markets/berkshire-hathaway-q3-earnings/index.html

Re: Layoffs hit the Gecko [Re: ruderunner] #3189831
11/09/23 01:23 PM
11/09/23 01:23 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Originally Posted by ruderunner
I did one insurance job 8 years ago . Customer with a 1 year old mini van had run over a large rock at the end of a driveway. No body damage, a few bumps and bruises underneath and the worst was a crushed exhaust. I quoted a new exhaust with factory catalytic converter as no aftermarket was available tet. She balked and called her adjuster and it just got stupid from there.

He wrote up a cradle (minor dent), oil pan (scrape) fuel tank(more scrapes) and of course an alignment.

Exhaust came from dealer, remaining parts from LKQ. The cradle was not dented but scraped and some rust, oil pan was filthy, fuel tank was dirty and scraped like the original. I'm guessing flood cars supplied these parts.

Labor times were in line hut insurance wanted to pay $42 per hour and shop rate was 80. After 2 weeks of back and forth, Customer without vehicle etc, the adjuster okays 60.

I replaced the cradle, exhaust and oil pan. Pressure washed the garbage gas tank and left it off.

I said never again will I get involved in insurance work.

And this is routine when dealing with most all insurance companies. Not difficult for the insurance guy to call it "substandard work" yet it is all the company pays to have done. Substandard parts, and labor rates. Let customers deal with their insurace company and they pay cash.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Layoffs hit the Gecko [Re: 360view] #3203366
01/09/24 07:47 AM
01/09/24 07:47 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Wall Street Journal long detailed article Tuesday, Jan 9

“Home, Auto Insurers Jack Up Rates,
Pull Back from Markets”

sample quote

“I have never seen the overall market this bad”
said Barry Gilway,
a 52 year veteran of the industry
who retired in 2023 as head of
Florida Citizens Property Insurance
a state created insurer of last resort
that sells plans to people who can’t get coverage elsewhere.”

Re: Layoffs hit the Gecko [Re: 360view] #3203367
01/09/24 07:51 AM
01/09/24 07:51 AM
not_a_charger Offline OP
not_a_charger  Offline OP

That's not exactly new information re: Florida insurance market. It is never going to get any better, either. The only thing that can be done is to try to slow down how fast it's declining.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Layoffs hit the Gecko [Re: not_a_charger] #3203871
01/11/24 07:06 PM
01/11/24 07:06 PM
Massillon, Ohio
C
cudatom Offline
super stock
cudatom  Offline
super stock
C

Massillon, Ohio
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Originally Posted by IMGTX
Do you think it's because of people skipping out on insurance they used to buy, more people making claims to "get free money" wink wink nudge nudge, or gov regulations hurting profits, or ???

Most companies have not yet figured out how to price for the current market conditions. Vehicle values, repair costs, length of repairs and the corresponding increase in rental car expenses, etc. have made pricing a nightmare. Companies are losing money, some of them a lot of money, and the quick and dirty fix is to cut costs. But that's a bandage on a bullet wound. Until they figure out how to price correctly, they'll continue to lose money, and consumers will bear the brunt of it.

Its not just in the auto end. Had a roof claim this yr. I had inspected it and knew it would be a full replacement based on age, condition and amount of damage. Add in the shingles were no longer being made.
The estimated roof replacement was 18k. My house isn't large. When I left the insurance industry in 2020 the cost would have been 7.5k. Anyways over the course of the 18 yrs I've been insured with SF I barely paid more than 18k in premiums. Repair cost, materials in auto and homeowners is going to cause some significant increases in premiums.

Ok
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4