Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: pittsburghracer] #3158366
07/09/23 09:32 PM
07/09/23 09:32 PM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
I’m surprised nobody mentioned Tennessee.

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: 440Jim] #3158372
07/09/23 10:03 PM
07/09/23 10:03 PM
Florida
G
GMP440 Offline
top fuel
GMP440  Offline
top fuel
G

Florida

In Florida, anything north of Lake Okeechobee are generally low tax areas. Florida has no state income tax and no inheritance taxes. A few tracks. The car hobby is pretty active in those areas. No seasons in Florida. Pretty much can do anything year round.

Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: BloFish] #3158381
07/09/23 11:13 PM
07/09/23 11:13 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Online work
master
GomangoCuda  Online Work
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
Originally Posted by BloFish

OK, I will.

No state income tax
County real estate tax is 1/2 what I paid in Ohio for a property that is more valuable than I had in N.E.Ohio. I live just outside city limits so no city taxes.
Vehicle registration is very inexpensive. No personal property tax.
Electricity is CHEAP. I have a 2300 sqft house and a 2400 sqft shop both with heat pumps and our electric bill is way lower than it was in Ohio and we had natural gas in ohio.
I am 25 minutes from Bristol Dragstrip (Thunder Valley), maybe 20 minutes to Johnson City for bigger selection of restaurants and shopping.
Mountains are less than a mile away. You can see them from our porch. Six miles from beautiful Watauga lake. Several ski slopes in North Carolina less than 1 hour.
Great weekly car cruise less than 3 mi. away. Price of gas here is less than anywhere else around. You can get No Ethanol 87 and 93 octane.
Tennessee is a constitutional carry state. No permits required for open or concealed carry.
I hate big cities so this place works for me.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: GomangoCuda] #3158499
07/10/23 12:06 PM
07/10/23 12:06 PM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
Originally Posted by BloFish

OK, I will.

No state income tax
County real estate tax is 1/2 what I paid in Ohio for a property that is more valuable than I had in N.E.Ohio. I live just outside city limits so no city taxes.
Vehicle registration is very inexpensive. No personal property tax.
Electricity is CHEAP. I have a 2300 sqft house and a 2400 sqft shop both with heat pumps and our electric bill is way lower than it was in Ohio and we had natural gas in ohio.
I am 25 minutes from Bristol Dragstrip (Thunder Valley), maybe 20 minutes to Johnson City for bigger selection of restaurants and shopping.
Mountains are less than a mile away. You can see them from our porch. Six miles from beautiful Watauga lake. Several ski slopes in North Carolina less than 1 hour.
Great weekly car cruise less than 3 mi. away. Price of gas here is less than anywhere else around. You can get No Ethanol 87 and 93 octane.
Tennessee is a constitutional carry state. No permits required for open or concealed carry.
I hate big cities so this place works for me.

Thanks for the information. I have several friends who have retired and just left California and moved to various locations in Tennessee, they all seem to love it there.

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: an8sec70cuda] #3158509
07/10/23 12:53 PM
07/10/23 12:53 PM
Heaven
EvilB1Dart Offline OP
master
EvilB1Dart  Offline OP
master

Heaven
Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Originally Posted by STEFF
Originally Posted by EvilB1Dart

S. Carolina is looking pretty good right now.

Bring it!! I love it here! Been in SC for a decade now.

Just don't move to Horry county. The "beach" development is moving further and further inland. I'm in Marion county, which borders Horry, and land investment groups contact me almost weekly trying to buy land. Old farmland is constantly being turned into developments w/ cheap cookie cutter slab houses all sold before the concrete cures. rolleyes

Definitely not. I don't want to be anywhere near high population or things that attract high numbers of humans - no beaches or touristy areas.

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand"

- A. Einstein
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: 440Jim] #3158510
07/10/23 12:57 PM
07/10/23 12:57 PM
Heaven
EvilB1Dart Offline OP
master
EvilB1Dart  Offline OP
master

Heaven
Originally Posted by 440Jim
We are seriously considering Minnesota, S. Dakota, S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Pennsylvania and (never thought it would be on the list) back to my roots in Ohio area. Looking for nice areas, some acres and definitely around race tracks. Prefer to be 45-min to 1-hour outside of any major city area. Top-2 are Minnesota and S. Carolina.

Well, I moved to North Carolina in 2017 (after retiring from work in Maryland). I am very happy with my decision.
1) Relatively affordable housing and cost of living. Property tax good, insurance costs good.
2) State Income tax planned reductions to 3.99% in 2027.
now 4.75% in 2023
was 4.99% in 2022 My state income tax was $65 this year, Withheld $1,000-$65=$935 refund. Since my pension is not taxed and I had low capital gains on my savings.
was 5.25% in 2021
was 5.25% in 2020
was 5.25% in 2019
was 5.499% in 2018
3) Plenty of 1/8 mile drag strips (except near the ocean, Wilmington). So Raliegh, Greeensboro, HighPoint, or outside Charlotte.
4) I like the lack of snow in winter. Yes, it might snow a couple days but then it melts.
5) Great highway system ! Lots of big multilane highways and mostly few cars = lack of crazy traffic. Few exceptions near city limits (Raliegh, Charlotte, etc).

I live 5 miles outside the Greensboro city limits and it feels more country, so you can affordably buy 2-20 acres and still be close to major stores, plumbing, metal supply, fabrication, etc.

Thanks, Jim. I'm gathering similar data for all areas. N Carolina is looking good also.

- A. Einstein
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: STEFF] #3158511
07/10/23 01:00 PM
07/10/23 01:00 PM
Heaven
EvilB1Dart Offline OP
master
EvilB1Dart  Offline OP
master

Heaven
Originally Posted by STEFF

S. Carolina is looking pretty good right now.

Bring it!! I love it here! Been in SC for a decade now.

Hahaha...

- A. Einstein
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: Guicars] #3158512
07/10/23 01:01 PM
Heaven
EvilB1Dart Offline OP
master
EvilB1Dart  Offline OP
master

Heaven
Originally Posted by Guicars
South Carolina hands down. Just talking tracks I have 3 1/8 mile tracks 45 minutes away that hold plenty of events from
March until about oct/nov and two that are open through the remainder weather permitting (typically 50° minimum temps) Then there are 2 1/4 mile tracks about 3 hours drive with the same operating parameters. Not to mention a bunch of 1/8 tracks scattered in each direction in under that 3 hour drive radius. All in NC/SC. Lots of engine shops, race shops, trans shops, head shops etc especially close to Charlotte, NC among other areas. Lots of lakes, countryside etc. You want services close by. No problem. You want desolate quite living yet not to far from those services? Again, no problem. Want to live really isolated and don’t mind a longer drive. It’s here.

My advice would be to do a VRBO, Air BnB, short term rental, extended vacation etc in any particular area and do some scouting around. Get a feel for the areas. You can find exactly what you want. Only thing is these days, the longer you wait and as time goes by the price goes up as with everything. There are no more deals or steals!

up

- A. Einstein
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: BloFish] #3158513
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
One of my neighborhood friends from the teenage years in SoCal - we still keep in touch 50 years on - just moved from SoCal to somewhere around Lynchburg, TN and loves the area.
Money isn't an issue for him - he recently retired from the commercial construction business he built - and he's not a racer, but his photos are pretty endearing.

Wikipedia is handy for researching climate, population, median income, etc when considering an area.

Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: gregsdart] #3158514
07/10/23 01:03 PM
07/10/23 01:03 PM
Heaven
EvilB1Dart Offline OP
master
EvilB1Dart  Offline OP
master

Heaven
Originally Posted by gregsdart
Wes, I met a racer in Florida that raved about Norwalk Speedway in Ohio, and Summit motorsports park is real close. Plus you would be centralized somewhat. Minnesota has BIR, in the middle of the state. If you locate close to the south east corner of Minnesota, you are not far from a number of tracks. Rockfalls raceway in Wisconsin, Cedarfalls in Iowa, Tri State, Iowa, Eddyville is in South East Iowa, Humboldt, Iowa. The area in southeast Minnesota is very beautiful rolling hills of the Mississippi River Valley. And Mayo Clinic is in Rochester. If you locate in Southern Minnesota, I am at most 130 miles away.

Great info, Greg. Thank you. I've been to Norwalk, and its a nice facility. I've also been to other Ohio area tracks.

- A. Einstein
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: J_BODY] #3158516
07/10/23 01:08 PM
07/10/23 01:08 PM
Heaven
EvilB1Dart Offline OP
master
EvilB1Dart  Offline OP
master

Heaven
Originally Posted by J_BODY
If/when we make the SoDak jump (bought 3 acre lot 3 years ago) I’ll be 25 min from an 1/8th mile track, but it isn’t anything fancy for sure (lots of gravel pit areas). Anything beyond that is 4-6 hrs away. We were contemplating on keeping our AZ home too, but with build costs we’ll be selling it. 27 years in the sun we’re excited for a change and with other outdoor interests it’ll be a good fit for us. We can leave our property on the RZR (street legal just like AZ) and hit 1000’s of miles of trails.

I hear ya Jay. We also have other interests as well; getting more into the outdoor stuff. We made solid (well above asking) offers on 2-3 nice cabins in Pinetop last year, but were outbid by CA, OR, WA cash buyers who waived inspections, etc. Ii wasn't willing to do that, or play bid wars. It was depressing, but I'm actually glad now it worked out that way.

- A. Einstein
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: birdtracker] #3158517
07/10/23 01:10 PM
07/10/23 01:10 PM
Heaven
EvilB1Dart Offline OP
master
EvilB1Dart  Offline OP
master

Heaven
Originally Posted by birdtracker
like everyone said Ohio is hard to beat. National Trail in Columbus, Norwalk, Edgewater in Cincinnati, Kil-Kare near Dayton, Muncie Indiana, and Bunker Hill, Marion Dragway is in Ohio

Correct. Been to all of them. Ohio is 3rd on the list. Just not sure where. Most likely somewhere closer to Norwalk area.

- A. Einstein
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: EvilB1Dart] #3158519
07/10/23 01:14 PM
07/10/23 01:14 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Online work
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Online Work
"Little"John

PA.
Wes, I met a racer in Florida that raved about Norwalk Speedway in Ohio, and Summit motorsports park is real close. Plus you would be centralized somewhat. Minnesota has BIR, in the middle of the state. If you locate close to the south east corner of Minnesota, you are not far from a number of tracks. Rockfalls raceway in Wisconsin, Cedarfalls in Iowa, Tri State, Iowa, Eddyville is in South East Iowa, Humboldt, Iowa. The area in southeast Minnesota is very beautiful rolling hills of the Mississippi River Valley. And Mayo Clinic is in Rochester. If you locate in Southern Minnesota, I am at most 130 miles away.

Great info, Greg. Thank you. I've been to Norwalk, and its a nice facility. I've also been to other Ohio area tracks.

I’ll just add on thing about racing all year. In Pa and Ohio if you want to race there’s a race. And often three or four days of racing. If you aren’t the pick up the phone type of guy that orders an engine you will need an off season for maintenance.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: topside] #3158525
07/10/23 01:29 PM
07/10/23 01:29 PM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
Originally Posted by topside
One of my neighborhood friends from the teenage years in SoCal - we still keep in touch 50 years on - just moved from SoCal to somewhere around Lynchburg, TN and loves the area.
Money isn't an issue for him - he recently retired from the commercial construction business he built - and he's not a racer, but his photos are pretty endearing.

Wikipedia is handy for researching climate, population, median income, etc when considering an area.

-> Best places to live dot net <-

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: Dragula] #3158529
07/10/23 01:35 PM
07/10/23 01:35 PM
Heaven
EvilB1Dart Offline OP
master
EvilB1Dart  Offline OP
master

Heaven
Originally Posted by Dragula
Wes,

What prompted the move?

My daughter just finished her 1st year of college and when she finishes her 2yr degree, we are free to leave almost...My mom has had a bad 2 years, and we are waiting to see how this goes. Currently my only two reasons to stay for a bit more.

But for us here in Buffalo NY,. its the crap political climate that is forcing us out. They believe in running ever aspect of your life here and lots of taxes...Can't stand it anymore. Gonna make a web page when we leave of all the things wrong with NY...

Unlike you, I cannot afford to keep my current house, and buy another...We have chosen the great state of Tennessee to move to. And one of the cars will probably get sold to help with the move as well.

Good luck in your major move...

Thanks.....you too.

I think we just want something new to try. If it doesn't workout, we will still have our home here.

Arizona is a beautiful state and offers a lot, but it's slowly eroding away with nonsense. It's just getting way over-populated. I live in a really nice area with slow population/limited growth, but everything outside is blowing up causing issues - increased crime, rise in population, local and highway traffic is horrible.

Speedworld was a track in my backyard, but closed doors in 2013 - it originally opened in 1961. That was a huge bummer.

Wild Horse Pass is on the chopping block. It's 45-mins away from me. I'm really hoping it survives, but I doubt it. If WHP closes, the only track left is in Tucson. Not a super long tow, but still looking at 3-hrs.

- A. Einstein
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: 440Jim] #3158531
07/10/23 01:38 PM
07/10/23 01:38 PM
Heaven
EvilB1Dart Offline OP
master
EvilB1Dart  Offline OP
master

Heaven
Originally Posted by 440Jim
We are seriously considering Minnesota, S. Dakota, S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Pennsylvania and (never thought it would be on the list) back to my roots in Ohio area.

Since the original poster didn't mention Florida, I left it out.
I did consider FL for my retirement move, some pros and cons.
C- limited number of drag strips (spread out), narrow choices to your range from one of those.
C- home insurance is high. Wind damage threat as well as flooding and hurricanes.
C- real estate (home property) taxes are high. They do have a "home stead" partial exemption, so account for that in your calc.
C- sales tax is a little high, but since it only applies to what you spend (not income); it is not a big deal breaker.

P- No state income tax.
P- The weather is not that bad if you stay away from the interior. Yes, some humidity; but not as bad as gulf coast of LA & Mississippi.
P- Great "winter" weather, sort of like fall in more northern states.
P- Race tracks... Gainsville, Bradenton, Immokalee, North FL Motorplex (Powerhouse), Showtime, County Line

up Nothing against Florida, but I've been there quite a few times, and its just not a place I'd want to live in. Although I did enjoy my trips to Orlando's Fastest Streetcar Shootouts with Dave aka DusterDave and Jim aka BigCube back in the day LOL.

- A. Einstein
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: pittsburghracer] #3158535
07/10/23 01:49 PM
07/10/23 01:49 PM
Heaven
EvilB1Dart Offline OP
master
EvilB1Dart  Offline OP
master

Heaven
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

I’ll just add on thing about racing all year. In Pa and Ohio if you want to race there’s a race. And often three or four days of racing. If you aren’t the pick up the phone type of guy that orders an engine you will need an off season for maintenance.

Hahahaha. I could really see moving to either. Honestly, not sure how much racing I'd be doing, but definitely more than I've ever done before because LIFE will finally allow it now. I just want to be able to race without having to travel many hours or a zillion miles to do it.

- A. Einstein
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: EvilB1Dart] #3158804
07/11/23 11:46 AM
07/11/23 11:46 AM
South Carolina
G
Guicars Offline
Guicars  Offline
G

South Carolina
The biggest issue with Florida I think is that everyone in the world goes to Florida. Lots of travelers, tourists year round. The beaches are packed. Ever walk to a supposed off the beaten path beach that requires you to walk a ways to get to it and there is actual foot “traffic” going both ways to and from the beach area? That to me sums up Florida. Crowded.

Last edited by Guicars; 07/11/23 11:48 AM.
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: Guicars] #3158941
07/11/23 07:24 PM
07/11/23 07:24 PM
Heaven
EvilB1Dart Offline OP
master
EvilB1Dart  Offline OP
master

Heaven
The biggest issue with Florida I think is that everyone in the world goes to Florida. Lots of travelers, tourists year round. The beaches are packed. Ever walk to a supposed off the beaten path beach that requires you to walk a ways to get to it and there is actual foot “traffic” going both ways to and from the beach area? That to me sums up Florida. Crowded.

This IS Arizona without beaches! If we had beaches this State would be a population monster!

- A. Einstein
Re: Seriously considering a new move to another State…looking at [Re: Guicars] #3158950
07/11/23 07:39 PM
07/11/23 07:39 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Online work
master
GomangoCuda  Online Work
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee

A few weeks ago several popular beaches were closed due to red tide. I can imagine the ones that were open were extra crowded.

Last edited by GomangoCuda; 07/11/23 07:40 PM.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4