Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by oldjonny
Originally Posted by 360view
notice the picture of Thomas Edison standing beside his EV

https://robertbryce.substack.com/p/ford-is-losing-66446-on-every-ev

sample quote

Yesterday afternoon, Ford reported a $722 million loss on its EV business over the first three months of 2023. During that span, Ford sold 10,866 EVs, meaning it lost $66,446 on every EV it sold.

For perspective, Ford lost the equivalent of a brand-new Mercedes-Benz E-class sedan on every EV it sold during the first quarter. (An E 450 4Matic has an MSRP of $66,700.)

It’s also worth noting that at the end of 2022, the average EV transaction price was about $65,000.

Ford blamed much of its first-quarter EV loss on lower production due to shutdowns at its plants in Mexico and Dearborn as it aims to boost its EV production to a run rate of 210,000 vehicles by the end of 2023.

end quote

They'll make it up in volume....LOL

We ALL better hope so.....otherwise this "green" pipe dream will be the demise of all of us.

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: Dcuda69] #3143124
05/07/23 11:33 PM
05/07/23 11:33 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
They keep saying a “breakthrough” in batteries is going to happen any second. That they will hold more juice it charge in a couple minutes, or both. It’s starting to look like the whole nuclear fusion fiasco, you know the one where it’s only thirty years away- and always will be.

I want my fair share
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3143127
05/07/23 11:54 PM
05/07/23 11:54 PM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
They keep saying a “breakthrough” in batteries is going to happen any second. That they will hold more juice it charge in a couple minutes, or both. It’s starting to look like the whole nuclear fusion fiasco, you know the one where it’s only thirty years away- and always will be.

thumbs

Just like the end of the world. It's only ten years away, and has been for the last three thousand years

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: 360view] #3143133
05/08/23 07:03 AM
05/08/23 07:03 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
There is a lot going on in battery research, I would have to read 10 times as much even to “skim” what is published every week, and undoubtably most of what is being discovered is kept secret.

Ford is risking a very very large amount of money on the 2 battery plants being built on I65 in KY and TN by relying on the technology of a Korean company that does not have a track record like Samsung or Panasonic/Sanyo. I would guess that relying on the workforce available in the Memphis area is risky, but TN government is throwing money that way.

Do not count out someone making a “Super Capacitor” breakthrough as well.

Every so often a volcano emits enough gas to lower the world temperature.

Ice core drill records now show us this in ways we could only guess before.

It is very reasonable to ask:
Are carbon dioxide, NOx and methane gases raising night time temperatures,
or has it been mostly “random chance” that less volcanoes than “average” have erupted over the last 150 years?

An historical fact that almost no students are taught:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6397621/Why-536-AD-worst-year-alive.html

more scientific report

https://www.science.org/content/article/why-536-was-worst-year-be-alive

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: 360view] #3143134
05/08/23 07:11 AM
05/08/23 07:11 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
There is a lot going on in battery research, I would have to read 10 times as much even to “skim” what is published every week, and undoubtably most of what is being discovered is kept secret.

Ford is risking a very very large amount of money on the 2 battery plants being built on I65 in KY and TN by relying on the technology of a Korean company that does not have a track record like Samsung or Panasonic/Sanyo. I would guess that relying on the workforce available in the Memphis area is risky, but TN government is throwing money that way.

Do not count out someone making a “Super Capacitor” breakthrough as well.

Not counting your chickens before your eggs hatch comes to mind.

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: Sniper] #3143139
05/08/23 07:39 AM
05/08/23 07:39 AM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
When the technology is ready, there will be total support for EV. UNTIL the technology is ready, don't try to cram it down our throats. Its not going to work the way it is today, so don't try to make it seem like this is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: 360view] #3143169
05/08/23 10:48 AM
05/08/23 10:48 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
more big $ waste

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/06/out...-clean-energy-stuck-waiting-in-line.html

sample quote

Waiting in line
The entire electric grid in the U.S. has installed capacity of 1,250 gigawatts.
There are currently 2,020 gigawatts of capacity in the interconnection queue lines around the country,
according to a report published Thursday by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
That includes 1,350 gigawatts of power capacity,
mostly clean, looking to be constructed and connected to the grid.
The rest, 670 gigawatts, is for storage.

end quote

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3143173
05/08/23 11:07 AM
05/08/23 11:07 AM
delivering your oil
nutso suave Offline
I Live Here
nutso suave  Offline
I Live Here

delivering your oil

It seems like when technology is being developed with a specific plan in mind, it almost never ends up being used for its intended purpose. The actual practical use for the technology is when somebody figures out a application for it no one saw coming. Computers come to mind...they were basically calculators. The ability of computers to change communications and their data storage applications were later developments. I think battery technology in general has improved dramatically - cordless drill batteries 10 years ago didn't last as long and took longer to charge. We've documented that hot/cold weather extremes cause serious problems to EVs, not to mention limited lifespans of the batteries. The current application to vehicles clearly isn't perfect and I'm curious to see how the technology actually gets used in the future. Battery swap out stations? Hybrids are okay but you have twice as much stuff to go wrong.

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: 360view] #3185880
10/23/23 11:20 AM
10/23/23 11:20 AM
NY
firebreather Offline
firebreather  Offline

NY
My grandfather who was born in 1900 and began work at age 13 installing red hot rivets in the steam boilers of an electric power plant to power a coal mine, said that it was a huge mistake not installing 3 phase electric power to houses.

My father took this a step further and said it was a huge mistake not to have adopted 400 Hertz AC instead of 60 Hz ( or 50 Hz).
He began work at 13 as a telephone repairman inside coal mines.

In airplanes where weight and power is crucial 3 phase 400 Hz is often used.

Tesla wants to sell you a “PowerWall” to store power from your intermittent solar cells and windmills to fast charge your 2 EV autos, EV motorcycle, EV ATV, EV farm tractor and battery boosted bicycle.

It is probably a mistake to not also consider mechanical flywheels or compressed air tanks.

My mechanical engineering senior class’s assigned “capstone” project was to split into 5 person teams and design flywheel powered vehicles to transfer suitcases from passenger terminals to and from airliners.

My niece’s bio-engineering senior class’s assigned capstone project was to design compressed air powered urban automobiles. She struggled for a while to choose a topic for her project. Niece couldn't decide what would suit her best. We spent several evenings discussing various ideas and concepts. But then she stumbled upon capstone project ideas and it was a great solution, as you can find topics for different subjects there. She started researching existing projects in this field and found that many of them were at the prototype stage. This inspired her even more.

In mining the sequence of technology was -
harder stones to break softer stones - fire followed by water quenching to crack hard stones, metal picks to crack rocks - wooden railroad tracks so that women and children could haul heavy ore wagons - black powder blasting of hand drilled holes - steam powered water pumps to prevent deeper mines from flooding - explosion protected lanterns - steam engines to drive pumps, drills, fans and hoists, - steam engines to drive air compressors - compressed air hole drills- detonating high explosives - local steam engines to power local electric generators - electric generators to charge batteries for lights and telephones - electric motor hole drills and pick wheels - diesel engines to power mine railroad locomotives - grid electricity to power electric motors - computers to start and stop complex sequences of motors - robots to drive diesel or electric ore trucks - robots to core drill and sample rocks on Mars - robots to mine asteroids, moons and planets......

Cars powered by compressed air sound interesting. At least it's not as hypocritical as the "environmental friendliness" of electric cars. Yes, they don't have internal combustion engines, but manufacturers tend to overlook where they'll dispose of tons of used batteries. At least, so far, I haven't seen a sufficient battery recycling program.

Last edited by firebreather; 10/26/23 12:42 PM.
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3185916
10/23/23 01:00 PM
10/23/23 01:00 PM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa

Yes and when one points out the problems with current batteries- the cult fanboys reply is "Yea but they'll figure it out." Who are "They?" The brightest minds ON THE PLANET- have been given nearly UNLIMITED MONEY for battery R&D......and what is the current status? Slave female and child minority labor working in dangerous mines. The earth being pillaged by polluting, unregulated equipment and procedures in poor countries that have no EPA. Batteries made by slave labor in poisonous conditions but yet a replacement battery cost is STILL tens of thousands of dollars. Fuel engines are Internal combustion vehicles- EVs are Spontaneous combustion vehicles. Those batteries have enough heat to destroy and sink cargo ships and parking garages. I wonder if Jake from State Farm is gonna authorize reimbursement for the destruction the Hybrid battery did to that parking garage near London's Luton Airport.

Last edited by 2boltmain; 10/23/23 01:07 PM.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: 2boltmain] #3185932
10/23/23 01:45 PM
10/23/23 01:45 PM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
Give 'them' a quarter and tell 'them' to call when 'they' are finally up to speed. Until then, 'they' can go F.O.

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: TJP] #3185942
10/23/23 02:43 PM
10/23/23 02:43 PM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
Depending on your driving habits, weather, and availability of chargers, EVs might be a good choice or a bad one. Where's the revelation?

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: calmopar] #3185957
10/23/23 03:24 PM
10/23/23 03:24 PM
Nor here, Nor there
D
Dart 500 Offline
pro stock
Dart 500  Offline
pro stock
D

Nor here, Nor there
Was at a Ford dealer this morning and they only had one Mach E and one Lightning (for EV's) and both were outside, new mustang GT on the floor, and besides that the store was a complete ghost town

Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: Dart 500] #3185962
10/23/23 03:37 PM
10/23/23 03:37 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
GM is slow playing their conversion to EV trucks due to diminished demand. The latest Motor Trend article had three reviews of electric vehicles that were not at all positive...the newness has worn off. The one article was specifically about the Ford Lightning. His remark (since the get the vehicles for evaluation and don't own any of them) was that if he had just spent $85K for the vehicle, he would take it back and demand a refund. The other article was even more hilarious. They purposely ran a Rivian to a total dead state to see what would happen. TOTAL debacle to get it back on the road. I will keep my ICE vehicles.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: An honest eval from an EV owner 1 year in [Re: TJP] #3185964
10/23/23 03:40 PM
10/23/23 03:40 PM
Newburgh, NY
Old_Moparz Offline
master
Old_Moparz  Offline
master

Newburgh, NY
The decision to buy an electric car is no different than how you buy your clothing. It depends on what part of the planet you live on. If you live in Miami I seriously doubt stocking up on thermal underwear & knee boots lined with insulation is a good idea when shorts & sandals are better. If you're in Alaska then don't shop for the same clothes as the person in Miami. I'm in NY about 60 miles north of NYC & I would seriously consider an EV as an extra vehicle to run around locally with but they're simply out of my price range so it isn't happening.

One of my close friends bought a used Tesla a couple of years ago as a second car & loves it. I don't remember which model, but it's the more expensive one & is actually a nice looking car compared to the others. He lives in northern NJ & has driven it to SC to visit his father, He also planned the trip based on knowing that he'd have to stop to charge. He used the fast charge stations & ate while the car charged. He didn't have to stay anywhere overnight, it took 30 minutes to get an 80 to 85 percent charge. The whole trip cost him $35.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4