05/09/09 09:38 PM
05/09/09 09:38 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

ok I need to redo this question because the guy on ebay does not respond to questions. I get no thing but static on my restored am radio when the car is running. I am told I need a few condensers. I need to know where they go and how many and where to buy them. And no it is not the plugs, plug wires, alt., or antenea. I and two other people feel it may be the radio itself but the seller insist not so I will cross the bridge when nothing else works.

Re: am radio static #313207
05/09/09 11:44 PM
05/09/09 11:44 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Here's your old thread

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post5208098

There are few if NONE instances where a radio itself is going to CAUSE static, unless there's a loose connection or failing component inside. IN this case, such things as mechanical shocking (the "drop test") will show up the problem, etc.

So the key question is, IS THERE STATIC when the engine is shut off?

IF NOT, then the radio is PROBABLY not to blame

I'll ask you once more----I asked you earlier ---

WHAT DOES THE STATIC SOUND LIKE?

Additionally, what happens at different engine speeds? Different vehicle speeds? Have you tired turning on/ off the wipers? Do you have an electric fuel pump?

HOW DO YOU KNOW (I don't know how you POSSIBLY CAN KNOW)-----HOW DO YOU KNOW that your plug wires and other things you mentioned are "OK?"

Pleast stay with one thread, so "we" can follow what you've done

NOW so far as condensers/ capacitors here and there. Almost ANY "real" parts store (NAPA) should have some listing back in the back of their "picture book" that shows a radio noise suppression condenser. THEY ARE NOT CRITICAL You can even use a condenser/ capacitor out of an old points ignition if you can't find "the right one." You want a good ground, and no longer a wire than you have to have.

AT THE LEAST. You want a cap/ condenser on the POSITIVE side of the coil, and on the battery lead from the alternator. Older stock Mopars had one on the gauge cluster somewhere for the "voltage regulator" (reducer) for the guages.

ANY electric motor (fuel pump) can cause noise.

It might help to install a cap right at the radio. ground the cap with a screw on the radio, and splice in the cap wire close to where the power lead to the radio enters.

HOW DO YOU KNOW that your antenna is OK?

Re: am radio static #313208
05/10/09 08:28 AM
05/10/09 08:28 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I called Taylor and talked to them about the plug wires, I unhooked the fan belt so the alt was not turning, I have run three different brand new ant. wires, when driving the car the faster I go the quicker the static, with the engine off the radio plays perfect. I have been emailed that Wal-Mart sells a device that splices into the power and ground wire by the radio, what do you think, I do not like the idea of cutti g into the radio harness.

Re: am radio static #313209
05/10/09 08:30 AM
05/10/09 08:30 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

mech. fuel pump, pointless ignition

Re: am radio static #313210
05/10/09 01:01 PM
05/10/09 01:01 PM
Alabama
BigMoneyLewis Offline
master
BigMoneyLewis  Offline
master

Alabama
The fact that the radio plays fine when the engine is not running tells us the radio is fine.
The fact that the noise increases with the engine rpm tells us that the noise is indeed caused by something in your cars ignition system .

Greg

Wards Classic Car Radio Repair Specializing in restoration and sales of Mopar A B E body radios
We can restore YOUR radio usually in less than 14 days
Visit our NEW website..
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com
gregward@mchsi.com
phone 256-852-0955

gregward@mchsi.com phone 256-852-0955
Re: am radio static #313211
05/10/09 02:05 PM
05/10/09 02:05 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Somebody is repopping the noise canceling part that went on the coils when new.

I want my fair share
Re: am radio static #313212
05/10/09 03:52 PM
05/10/09 03:52 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I called Taylor and talked to them about the plug wires, I unhooked the fan belt so the alt was not turning, I have run three different brand new ant. wires, when driving the car the faster I go the quicker the static, with the engine off the radio plays perfect. I have been emailed that Wal-Mart sells a device that splices into the power and ground wire by the radio, what do you think, I do not like the idea of cutti g into the radio harness.

The fact that Taylor told you OK on the plug wires doesn't mean that something is wrong. Maybe you have a burn in the coil wire. Does the noise sound like all 8 or just 1 or two cylinders?

The fact that the radio only displays noise when the engine is running means THE RADIO IS OK

You may not like cutting into the harness but you may have to

You don't need to go to Walmart, in fact that is the LAST place I'd go. RE-read my post. Go to a REAL parts store get a guy who knows ignition parts and get the pictoral section of the catalogue. Find a condenser/ capacitor that has a nice long lead wire, and a clamp you can ground to, if you cannot find a specific "radio" cap/ condenser.

Do what I told you. Put a couple of ground jumpers near the rear corners of the hood, just long enough to allow the hood to open/ close. One of the rear hinge bolts is a good place to ground to the hood, leave a small "droop" and ground to the firewall. Also add a couple of ground jumpers from the engine to the firewall. DEFINATELY make sure or put a cap/ condenser on the coil positive, to ground.

If you don't have them now, replace the plugs with resistor plugs.

One last question: Just how strong/ weak is the AM station? If you are in a small town area with no nearby powerful stations, you might just be expecting too much.

ALSO!!!!!! Do you have/ did you install a tach? The tack sending lead--which comes off the coil negative, acts just exactly like a radio antenna, radiating ignition noise into the underdash area of the car, and right into the radio. If so, you might try disconnecting the tach to see if that helps.

Re: am radio static #313213
05/10/09 04:41 PM
05/10/09 04:41 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

yes I just installed a tach but I think I had the problem before but not sure. I will disconnect the tach and see what happens. If it is the tach what are my options other than getting rid of the tach.

Re: am radio static #313214
05/10/09 04:56 PM
05/10/09 04:56 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
Do everything he said (twice) and then let us know. Don't go off on the tach deal until you have done the things already suggested!
Don't try walmart stuff, don't change other things, don't repost. Just fix it!

Re: am radio static #313215
05/10/09 05:24 PM
05/10/09 05:24 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Beg to differ with you on the Taylors,,,,,,had a customers car do the same thing,.....thought it was the ignition,.....but a suppressor on it, no change, then the electric Holley pump was the next suspect, after putting a mechanical pump on it,.....still there!.........after the Talyors went, so did the static "buzz" that would increase with RPM,....although Talyor said the same thing that they told you,...."naw it ain't the wires"....."yeah!... it was"

Re: am radio static [Re: DAYCLONA] #313216
05/10/09 05:32 PM
05/10/09 05:32 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

that is very interesting, I unhooked the tach and the static was still there so I hooked the tach up again and installed the condenser on the positive side of the coil and it took away about 50% of the static the radio is listenable now but would like to improve it. Did someone say a condenser by the radio will help? A freind of mine has a 64 corvette and he has seven condensers from the factory. I don't have aproblem with all the ground straps but would like to try something else first. I bought six condensers so if you can think of what else may help please let me know. I will contact Taylor again tomorrow

Re: am radio static [Re: DAYCLONA] #313217
05/10/09 05:33 PM
05/10/09 05:33 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

what did you end up using for plug wires

Re: am radio static #313218
05/10/09 05:40 PM
05/10/09 05:40 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I will pick up some ground straps tomorrow. I live in the middle of no where and the am station is about 20 miles away. Once I installed the condenser on the positinve side of the coil it eliminated 50% of the static. Did not drive the car but the increase with rpm's I think is gone it is just constant. What about a condenser on the radio itself?

Re: am radio static #313219
05/10/09 10:56 PM
05/10/09 10:56 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

'middle of nowhere' Been there. You don't need special ground straps. If you have some wire, say, no 12 and a crimp kit, just make some up. Actually, just for testing, you don't even need wire ends. Just strip them, and put them on to test. Make SURE you scrape the paint off for good contact.

Condensers.---Vette's are a whole different animal because they are PLASTIC--the body has no shielding at all.

It may or may not help to add one to the radio power lead, if it were me and I'd had this much trouble, I'd do so.

Here's what I'd do in the following order:

Leave the tach unhooked until you get the rest fixed and are happy

Apply the ground straps to the hood

Buy and install resistor spark plugs.

Borrow or otherwise replace plug the wires you have now

Additionally, I forgot to ask---what are you running for an ignition system? Aftermarket, MSD, Mopar conversion, points, what? High output coil? If you have modified the ignition HOW YOU HAVE and WHERE YOU HAVE mounted the various components may be an issue.

By the way, I've been in and out of electronics all my life. I was first licensed in amateur radio before I left high school, and I'm 60 now. The point I'm making is that I have operated "mobile" quite a bit. For a few years, I "cheated" on amateur radio, and ran a CB in a group of friends and a little 4x4 club we had.

Believe it or not, you have it "easy." The newer cars, with all the microprocessors and electric pumps are the difficult problems. Toyota won't even acknowledge they have a problem, and my understanding that the Pree-ass, with it's mess o' wiring and processors, is an awful thing to behold for two way and amateur radio.

Re: am radio static #313220
05/10/09 11:00 PM
05/10/09 11:00 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

what did you end up using for plug wires

Pertronix wire sets, look stock, black 8mm, they have universal sets, and sm/BB Mopar sets......look in Summit, about $40-$50

Re: am radio static #313221
05/11/09 07:33 AM
05/11/09 07:33 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I did switch to pointless ignition with a high out put coil and one of the first things I did was replace the plug wires with a set of pertronics I had laying around and found no change. As I said, by adding a condenser to the coil has reduced the static about 50%. I will try the things you mentioned in the next few days and let you know. Thanks