Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline OP
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline OP
top fuel
T

I have been in need of rear springs for my road course/street driven AAR 'Cuda. When you run around corners at high speeds the rear spring rate is something to ponder because the better handling albeit slower cars always catch up in the tight turns, yet they get killed on the straightaways. The problem is good information to get a better spring at a reasonable cost and not over springing the car-ie too much rate. The original AAR springs were still on the car with 130,000 miles. There are ways to calculate what your theoretical spring rate should be but I have a street car that gets driven on the road course not the other way around. You can spend $250-$600 on a set of springs. I almost went the $600 route but the delivery time was unreliable.

Remember this is a street car that gets driven on the road course. It must have manners and not ride like a buckboard. Pics taken of the car at speed indicated a real need for more spring rate, but how much more spring rate was always the question. I run a rear sway bar and want to keep it that way.

After some consulting with a braniac mopar person with a street car that will get driven on the road course soon - we decided that I could buy 2 sets of the $250.00 springs if I got it wrong the first time. So I bought a set of 6 leaf springs from ESPO and they arrived in a very timely fashion. Great company to deal with.

OK, here is what I learned so far. The orig AAR springs that were not sagging etc and in excellent condition have a measured rate of 120lbs/inch. The 6 leaf ESPO springs have a measured rate of 160lbs/inch. They measure within 1/16th [0.0625] inches of each other at static rest. They will only pick up the rear 0.400 inches so for now I will leave the 3 position adj front spring eye in the middle position where it already was.

The most interesting point here is 160 lbs/inch had been chosen as the new target rate and I was going to pay $600 to get there and instead I got there for 1/2 the cost. I will have the car together next week and I will report back what the results are. Banzai!!!

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: ThermoQuad] #311478
05/08/09 08:08 AM
05/08/09 08:08 AM
Virginia
J
JimG Offline
mopar
JimG  Offline
mopar
J

Virginia
This is a timely post for me.

I have been upgrading my suspension in a piecemeal fashion - T-bars, anti sway bars, Konis, and (here's the important part) stock replacement springs from MP. It was painfully obvious I needed higher rate springs on the rear, but was clueless what to buy. I was afraid of spending lots of money only to end up with the wrong thing.

So, I took the low buck approach and added a leaf (free, obtained from my old springs) to the new leaf springs. It was a very unscientific approach but luckily the result was a dramatic improvement. I'm sure I'm not at the optimum spring rate, but I plan to learn how to figure out exactly where I am and tweak it further after I figure out what the heck I'm doing.

Thanks for the info; I'll probably have to read it again slowly to digest it.

Jim

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: ThermoQuad] #311479
05/08/09 08:41 AM
05/08/09 08:41 AM
Iowa State fan
kilroy Offline
super stock
kilroy  Offline
super stock

Iowa State fan
Can you give a description and tools you used to measure your spring rate. I think I have an idea how but I would like to hear your method.

1973 Charger, former SE, former auto

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....
Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: kilroy] #311480
05/08/09 09:44 AM
05/08/09 09:44 AM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
great thread, this doesn't come up to often. I'm all ears.

Tav

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: ThermoQuad] #311481
05/08/09 10:52 AM
05/08/09 10:52 AM
Santa Cruz, California
L
Lefty Offline
master
Lefty  Offline
master
L

Santa Cruz, California
Thanks for the report Tom, that's good news about ESPO 6 leaf springs.

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: kilroy] #311482
05/08/09 12:05 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quick and easy means of measure is to simply invert the spring pack, stand on it, and have some one measure the deflection. Divide your weight by the amount of deflection, there is a reasonable approximation of spring rate.

Accurately determining the rear springs rates are always a little voodoo as very few places know their rates and your going to have to experiment to get them nailed down. Adding and subracting leaves is a bit of work to do repeatedly.

Also, the weight distribution of the car is a big factor in what rear springs you'll want. Weight distribution impacts the roll resistance need front to rear to balance the car.

In my car, the change from a 56% front weight bias to a 51% front weight bias changes the rear spring rate needed from 120# to 175#. That change could be as simple as a fiberglass hood, fenders, and bumper replacing the stock steel units. Get further into it with aluminum engine parts, engine set back, or relocated components and you may have to refigure your whole suspension set up.

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: kilroy] #311483
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Can you give a description and tools you used to measure your spring rate. I think I have an idea how but I would like to hear your method.

easiest way to do it? put spring on ground upside down, probably on a scrap of plywood or something that has grease where it can slide (leaf gets longer as it's compressed) measure height. put known weight on it. remeasure height. if you want a little better apparatus, you could build something to bolt the spring eye to on one end, and a shackle on the other. conversely, you could probably take an old bathroom scale, put it on top of a chunk of 3/4" plywood, or a chunk of 2x12, etc. put a chunk of 2x8 or so on top if it about 1' long. place it on your floor jack. with the car up in the air, and the jack stands under the frame, not under the axle, lift under the shock plate with the jack/scale assy. a known distance (say, 1"-2") record the scale reading. divide by the distance you lifted. that is the spring rate of the spring in lb/in.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: patrick] #311484
05/08/09 12:12 PM
05/08/09 12:12 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

easiest way to do it? put spring on ground upside down, probably on a scrap of plywood or something that has grease where it can slide (leaf gets longer as it's compressed) measure height. put known weight on it. remeasure height. if you want a little better apparatus, you could build something to bolt the spring eye to on one end, and a shackle on the other. conversely, you could probably take an old bathroom scale, put it on top of a chunk of 3/4" plywood, or a chunk of 2x12, etc. put a chunk of 2x8 or so on top if it about 1' long. place it on your floor jack. with the car up in the air, and the jack stands under the frame, not under the axle, lift under the shock plate with the jack/scale assy. a known distance (say, 1"-2") record the scale reading. divide by the distance you lifted. that is the spring rate of the spring in lb/in.

Wonder how accurate that method is? I'm not doubting it, just wonder how close the accuracy is.

We rate leaf springs for our circle track car on a Longacre leaf spring rating machine. Like a spring rater, but with long arms to fixture the leaf.

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: kilroy] #311485
05/08/09 03:11 PM
05/08/09 03:11 PM
T
ThermoQuad Offline OP
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline OP
top fuel
T

I did it the old fashion way, invert spring w/ends on grease, put 200 lbs on the highest point measure deflection, calculate rate per 1 inch.
Not exact science but science enough to see where I am going and how I got there. Next week I will post my results as I am waiting for some parts to show up.

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: ThermoQuad] #311486
05/08/09 03:18 PM
05/08/09 03:18 PM
DE
Ply72rr Offline
mopar
Ply72rr  Offline
mopar

DE
I remember reading a story about XV Engineering in one of the magazines and the XV guy said the torsion bars were too weak on old mopars compaired to the leaf springs.The article gave me the impression that our cars need stronger torsion bars,thicker sway bars,and chassis stiffening.Maybe you road race guys can tell me if stronger leaf springs are really needed.I want to improve the handling of my charger when I redo the steering/suspension.

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: autoxcuda] #311487
05/08/09 04:05 PM
05/08/09 04:05 PM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wonder how accurate that method is? I'm not doubting it, just wonder how close the accuracy is.

We rate leaf springs for our circle track car on a Longacre leaf spring rating machine. Like a spring rater, but with long arms to fixture the leaf.

I don't see why it would be any less accurate, unless there's excessive sliding friction as the spring flattens out. If you build a fixture to use the front spring eye and a shackle, or just an axle with a couple wheels on the rear of the spring to minimize friction, it should be just as accurate.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: patrick] #311488
05/08/09 04:25 PM
05/08/09 04:25 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
I'd bet that the wheels off the 'small size' floor jack would be just about perfect for a home-brewed test like this. Easily returned to their original duty, too.

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: Ply72rr] #311489
05/08/09 05:06 PM
05/08/09 05:06 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

I remember reading a story about XV Engineering in one of the magazines and the XV guy said the torsion bars were too weak on old mopars compared to the leaf springs.The article gave me the impression that our cars need stronger torsion bars,thicker sway bars,and chassis stiffening. Maybe you road race guys can tell me if stronger leaf springs are really needed. I want to improve the handling of my charger when I redo the steering/suspension.

All depends on where the weight is. More weight forward, less rear spring. More weight rearward, more rear spring. Also, sway bars count in the roll rate as well, so bigger sway bars can allow lighter springs.

BTW, those big 1" axle hung rear sways bars are only nominally more roll resistant the the stock .75 rear bars. I seem to recall the last time I ran the numbers, the 1" bar was only 10# more resistance because of its mounting points.

I was pondering the rear rate question last month on one of my cars, so I made a calculator that can figure rear springs rates. It's got plug ins for the t-bars, front and rear s-bars, roll couple, and weight distribution. Put in the numbers and it cranks out a leaf spring rate. It isn't spot on for perfection, but it will get the car closer to neuteral than guessing. I haven't had a chance to go thrash the car with it to verify how close it is. Tom, if you want, I can run some numbers on your old and new combo and see how they compare to your on track experience.

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: TC@HP2] #311490
05/08/09 05:58 PM
05/08/09 05:58 PM
Houston,Tx.
L
Lee446 Offline
pro stock
Lee446  Offline
pro stock
L

Houston,Tx.
Good info here, and points out how nice it would be to have a suspension/handling forum!

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: Lee446] #311491
05/08/09 06:51 PM
05/08/09 06:51 PM
Tulsa, OK
73cudaproject Offline
super stock
73cudaproject  Offline
super stock

Tulsa, OK
Last week at a 1/2 price sale at a Salvation Army store my son bought a Petersen's "Basic Chassis, Suspension & Brakes" book from 1971 which has a very interesting section with all types of tips and pictures from Dick Landy. It even has pictures of items used, built and sold by Sox and Martin. Lots of info on springs, chassis, and items that maybe we take for granted today. If you can find it I recommend buying a copy.

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: 73cudaproject] #311492
05/08/09 09:35 PM
05/08/09 09:35 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Last week at a 1/2 price sale at a Salvation Army store my son bought a Petersen's "Basic Chassis, Suspension & Brakes" book from 1971 which has a very interesting section with all types of tips and pictures from Dick Landy. It even has pictures of items used, built and sold by Sox and Martin. Lots of info on springs, chassis, and items that maybe we take for granted today. If you can find it I recommend buying a copy.

I have it, but I think the old Mike Martin "Mopar Suspensions" book is much much better for handling info.

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: autoxcuda] #311493
05/08/09 10:33 PM
05/08/09 10:33 PM
Toronto, Canada
D
dirtybee Offline
super stock
dirtybee  Offline
super stock
D

Toronto, Canada
could one just add weights to the trunk of a car on level ground and measure 'till the car drops one inch and divide by 2?

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: dirtybee] #311494
05/08/09 11:36 PM
05/08/09 11:36 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

could one just add weights to the trunk of a car on level ground and measure 'till the car drops one inch and divide by 2?

In theory yes, but the front rubber bushing twists and give resistance. And even with polys there is resistance. Would not give you the right or very consistant and repeatable numbers.

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: autoxcuda] #311495
05/08/09 11:52 PM
05/08/09 11:52 PM
Santa Cruz, California
L
Lefty Offline
master
Lefty  Offline
master
L

Santa Cruz, California
How are you guys weighing your cars on all four corners for weight distribution? The four corner scales are $1000+ I've heard there are people at our local fairgrounds dirt track (Watsonville Speedway) who do it for a fee on race night. I've been wanting to go watch the races and find out.

http://www.oceanspeedway.com/

Re: Leaf spring vodoo, the black hole of information [Re: Lefty] #311496
05/09/09 07:03 AM
05/09/09 07:03 AM
T
ThermoQuad Offline OP
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline OP
top fuel
T

Being that I have a street car that gets driven on the track I am trying to keep my approach simple as well as cost effective. I have not scaled the 4 corners...yet... It does weigh 3250 without driver as it's been on a rice & tuner diet...

I do know that based on pictures of my car at speed as well as feedback from others-I get a lot of good feedback because they are amazed at how well the old iron handles and goes like the devil-
that more rear spring was required, but not a whole lot more. So I used the low buck approach knowing the results would be an improvement. Now that I know where I started and where I am at. I will probably leave the car the way it is and just enjoy the ride. I have new brake material compounds this year front and rear so it is going to be good time in the turns for sure.

Tony thanks for your insightful input as always and I will take you up on your calculations offer later in the season. Mr Angry is running his Charger at Glen in Oct, so I may take a 2nd swipe at the track at that event if the $$$budget allows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2