North Carolina, USA
S
Silverbullet2 Offline
mopar
Silverbullet2  Offline
mopar
S

North Carolina, USA
Make sure the vent isn't clogged or obstructed. I've built hundreds of aluminun cased transmissions, transaxles, and transfer cases sealed with a light bead of RTV, running ATF and hardly ever have a leak. My iron cased 833 by comparison, all rebuilt, with new gaskets and seals, filled with synchromesh is seeping a little on the shop floor and hasn't even been run yet!

Re: Me and my Tremec *update* [Re: Silverbullet2] #310409
05/13/09 08:45 PM
05/13/09 08:45 PM
Oklahoma City OK
Cudajon Offline OP
pro stock
Cudajon  Offline OP
pro stock

Oklahoma City OK
Well I'm back to the tranny, the leak is definitely up top on the plate. Got a car show coming up so I guess I'll wait till after to drop the tranny. The amount of fluid that leaked the first time was no small amount, it definitely should have showed up on a pressure test. We're talking about a pint or so in less than 20 miles. Its noy leaking that bad now but it still is leaking.

Re: Me and my Tremec *update* [Re: Cudajon] #310410
05/14/09 08:56 AM
05/14/09 08:56 AM
Tennessee
rj8806 Offline
enthusiast
rj8806  Offline
enthusiast

Tennessee
Quote:

Well I'm back to the tranny, the leak is definitely up top on the plate. Got a car show coming up so I guess I'll wait till after to drop the tranny. The amount of fluid that leaked the first time was no small amount, it definitely should have showed up on a pressure test. We're talking about a pint or so in less than 20 miles. Its noy leaking that bad now but it still is leaking.

As I stated, we pump up the transmission with over 6psi and it has to hold for X amount of time at that pressure before we consider it "pass". 6psi is more pressure than it would see in driving conditions. There is no way we would've shipped it if it did not pass the leak down test. Now if we shipped it and it sat around for many moons before being installed and running fluid through it, then I could understand, maybe.
I tell you what, keep fluid in it, go to your car show and then contact me directly and we will make arrangements to have it come back here, re-sealed and then sent back to you.
PM me your name as it appeared on the sales order and I will contact you by phone to make the arrangements. If you would rather wait until your "driving season" is over, I can do that to. The main thing is to get it fixed and trouble free so you can enjoy it and not worry about it leaking.

Richard
Tech Support

Re: Me and my Tremec *update* [Re: BrianShaughnessy] #310411
05/14/09 11:55 AM
05/14/09 11:55 AM
Tennessee
rj8806 Offline
enthusiast
rj8806  Offline
enthusiast

Tennessee
Quote:

Richard,

Just where are the normal leakage points that you were seeing?

I've had to add a pint every few months. Get a drip onto the X pipe occassionally. While it looks like it could be coming from the seam between the case / tailhousing I'm wondering if it could be from up top.

Not sure what you mean by "normal leakage points"? Each body style is different as it requires a different modification to the TKO in order to fit.
For instance, on the A-body car, we machine a "valley" in the tail to help clear the torsion bar cross member where on the B-body, that "valley" is not necessary. On all of our kits, we now use a modified top plate which, if you notice, the top of the transmission where the 2 access covers are (1- gold cover and 1 silver cover), the gold cover is now minimized on the sides to make it narrower. When we do that, it requires a modified cover as well. That particular one gets sealed from both the inside and the outside.
Becuase we modify the shifter position on the TKO's we have to seperate the tail housing from the main case as well as the top cover. Both the tail and the top plate go into our CNC machine for modification and then it is all re-assembled on the production line. We use to use a red Anerobic sealer but have since switched to a Permatex sealant.

What I have found to be the easiest way to locate a leak is to purchase a AC leak detector kit from your local parts store. It is simply a little vial of flourescent dye and a black light. Pour it into the gear box, run it for a bit then come home and shine the black light up on it and follow the flourescent trail back to the source of the leak. I only paid about $25 for my kit and it comes in handy when diagnosing engine oil leaks, coolant leaks, air conditioning leaks as well as transmission leaks.

Richard
Tech Support

Re: Me and my Tremec *update* [Re: rj8806] #310412
05/15/09 03:41 PM
05/15/09 03:41 PM
Oklahoma City OK
Cudajon Offline OP
pro stock
Cudajon  Offline OP
pro stock

Oklahoma City OK
Richard, What a great idea. I never thought of the A/C leak detector for a tranny. Thats a great tip.

Page 2 of 2 1 2