Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: We’ve have had quality probs for years, admits Ford CEO [Re: 2boltmain] #3104177
12/21/22 07:43 AM
12/21/22 07:43 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
Originally Posted by 2boltmain
I listen to several auto repair Q&A podcasts. All done by competent independent repair shop owners. Under The Hood Show- I feel does more promoting and bragging of high tech bells and whistles- maybe because the OEMs have a hand in their sponsorship? The Car Doctor flat out says- "How does any body expect to afford to have all this stuff repaired in 5 years when it all stops working!!!!???.

part of the reason so many people lease today.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: We’ve have had quality probs for years, admits Ford CEO [Re: abodyjoe] #3104243
12/21/22 01:33 PM
12/21/22 01:33 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
my 99 caravan ["the bus"] has 171k on the clock.
no rust because it came from Arizona, and i have a guy oil it up to keep it that way.
tires, brakes, a battery, and just a couple of months ago, the original muffler had to be replaced.
it works for everything i need it to do. hauls engines, transmissions, rears, tires, any kind of item imaginable, gets 26mpg no matter what, and will go places a person would not think it would be able to.
i have tons of spare parts, so unless something catastrophic happens, i think it will be around for quite a while.
oh, and a couple of years ago, my wife played "Daisy Duke" buy driving it over an 85ft bank at the grocery store because her foot slipped off the brake and hit the gas !
i called my buddy to bring his tilt bed. he had to cut down several small trees, and dig the mud away from the nose. after he winched it onto flat ground, it didn't look like the nose had any damage, so i wondered if it would start. it fired right up, and when i put in gear, it acted like it normally did. it seemed to steer ok, and the brakes worked, so since i live just a couple of blocks from where this happened, i asked the police chief to follow me home just in case something happened.
it drove home like nothing happened !
the next day, i got it up in the air to see what kind of damage there was underneath. other than a couple of small twigs and sticks, nothing was hurt ! in fact, my wife my wife didn't even suffer a chipped nail !
so i guess my "bus" is "Ram Tough". biggrin
beer

Re: We’ve have had quality probs for years, admits Ford CEO [Re: Dcuda69] #3104336
12/21/22 08:44 PM
12/21/22 08:44 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
Originally Posted by Dcuda69
I have a 10 yr old F150 FX4 and a 9 yr old Fusion. Tires, brakes and a batt in each. Not gonna complain about either. Now if ya want the endless list of crap I put in an 04 Ram at 10 yrs and 65 k just let me know. I'll start writing it up!

We haven't had many problems with our 6 year old fusion, the biggest have been quality control items but it is making noises in the front end right now. New battery last year and needs tires now.
I have an 04 Ram and it's been great.

Re: We’ve have had quality probs for years, admits Ford CEO [Re: Dcuda69] #3104368
12/21/22 10:24 PM
12/21/22 10:24 PM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
My coworker pulled his 07 Taurus into our building (3rd shift- no one knows) to do replace his sparkplugs. 1st one out- new one in. Second plug..........threads came out on the plug. I HAD FORGOT THET EVEN THE V6 FORDS HAD THREAD/LACK OF THREAD PROBLEMS OF THAT ERA. New plug would NOT install. He had it flatbed hauled to a shop and some type of insert was installed. The other 4 plug replacements have been delayed until he can afford the possibility of more inserts needed.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: We’ve have had quality probs for years, admits Ford CEO [Re: 5thAve] #3104388
12/21/22 11:21 PM
12/21/22 11:21 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by 5thAve
I have a 10 yr old F150 FX4 and a 9 yr old Fusion. Tires, brakes and a batt in each. Not gonna complain about either. Now if ya want the endless list of crap I put in an 04 Ram at 10 yrs and 65 k just let me know. I'll start writing it up!

We haven't had many problems with our 6 year old fusion, the biggest have been quality control items but it is making noises in the front end right now. New battery last year and needs tires now.
I have an 04 Ram and it's been great.

Glad your Ram has been good. I bought mine new in 04, traded it in '13 for the F150..it had 65K on it when traded.

So 9 yrs and 65k it needed...both lower ball joints, a radiator, a rack and pinion, front and rear ring/pinion sets, both front hub bearings, both post cat o2 sensors, tires(Goodyear junk from new), brakes(at least twice),2 batteries, When traded the ring and pinion sets were starting to sing again, EVAP code was set because the fuel sending unit was starting to rot and leak, typical rot had started over the wheel wells.

You guys can pick on Ford all ya want...the FX4 I have now has been WAY better than that Ram.

Re: We’ve have had quality probs for years, admits Ford CEO [Re: Andrewh] #3104413
12/22/22 01:03 AM
12/22/22 01:03 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by Andrewh
every large corp/gov is going to have quality issues.
whatever you make/do gets screwed up due to
1. bureaucracy
2. risk/reward system
3. complex machinery or the system
4. we have always done it like this.

the sheer number of people a single "job" has to go through is just insane.
not the guy putting on the lug nuts. it is his boss, his bosses boss, the people that are required to get bids for lug nuts, someone that inspects them, the people that make them, their source for materials etc..
I am the poor guy on the line putting them on, but notice they aren't quite right.
on the best of days, it takes 10 people to decide and get them changed out with new ones. again not physically right there on the line. but to source new ones going forward. that car that day is screwed probably, especially now with JIT ordering.

if I am getting bonuses because cars are going out the door, anything that slows that down goes by the wayside.
I am supposed to do x y and z, but z gets the cars out the door, so I am going to skip x and y till someone catches me. or someone makes it important to me.
that doesn't happen till someone audits the production and if audit has no teeth, then nothing changes till regulatory steps in and the .gov is going to fine you x millons of dollars and suddenly it is important till no one is looking again.

not one person can follow production of something from beginning to end. Gaps, or misses will occur because there isn't one person tracking everything or that understands everything from beginning to end.
each group is responsible for their slice of the pie, but don't understand the pie as a whole so you get flaws that build up and eventually crash something out.
the few people they do have trying to follow the line still have a narrow focus and limited knowledge of how things work, relying on the person in charge of that part of the line to tell them it is ok.
The higher up the food chain you go, the less likely they will understand the day to day because managers are now career managers, not people that worked their way up doing everything like the old days.
The military still takes the approach with officers that they need to do every job before they move up.
they limit it of course, none of them are actually able to do the job independently, but at least they put hands on to do the work at some point so they have a clue what they are ordering to get done.

no one wants to change how they do it.
as processes evolve, some jobs don't get removed, so people are doing things that don't need to be done anymore, but not knowing how the whole system works, prevents people from pruning dead branches.
you get vestigial tails so to speak, that don't do anything, but impede the system and adding bloat. sometimes these things do damage however causing other problems in the system.

You just summed up “On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors” by John delorean.

Our fords have been good. The gm stuff in the family has sucked. Toyotas good but paint basically turned to chalk on our car at year six.

I want my fair share
Re: We’ve have had quality probs for years, admits Ford CEO [Re: 70Duster] #3104415
12/22/22 01:08 AM
12/22/22 01:08 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by 70Duster
Originally Posted by oldjonny

Correct. I have a '99 Toyota and the oil filter is identical to the 2010 I own (and fits my John Deere riding mower too).

This is not only smart engineering, but a huge cost savings too. Crank out hundreds of thousands of the same part number after a robust process is established and you're making money and a quality product. Don't change just for the sake of change. This also helps lower the dealers' cost since they don't have to stock 20 different oil filters. Kind of like Chrysler in the early 70's when the same starter fit almost every engine and model. This is the anthesis of Ford who may have three running changes of the same part in the same model year and none are interchangeable.

I remember somebody at the plant saying the Camry had the same basic engine from like 1986 to whenever that was, probably 2004 or so. Just minor updates and the same general thing for that whole period. I said for a long time somebody needs to just make the same car for many many years since since there just isn’t a need to reinvent the whole damn thing every 5 years. Finally dodge did that deal and I think it worked out for all involved.

I want my fair share
Re: We’ve have had quality probs for years, admits Ford CEO [Re: Dcuda69] #3104419
12/22/22 02:19 AM
12/22/22 02:19 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA

So 9 yrs and 65k it needed...both lower ball joints, a radiator, a rack and pinion, front and rear ring/pinion sets, both front hub bearings, both post cat o2 sensors, tires(Goodyear junk from new), brakes(at least twice),2 batteries, When traded the ring and pinion sets were starting to sing again, EVAP code was set because the fuel sending unit was starting to rot and leak, typical rot had started over the wheel wells.

You guys can pick on Ford all ya want...the FX4 I have now has been WAY better than that Ram.

390,000 miles on my 2007 Ram 1500.
Didn't need to replace the brakes until 119,000 on the rear, then 121,000 on the front. Yes...the rear actually wore first.
I just replaced the ball joints and bushings 5 days ago.
Original engine, transmission and axle.
I am on the second radiator, starter, water pump and EGR valve.
At 179,000 miles, I did have to replace the front wheel bearings.
Maybe you live in a crappy environment or don't know how to treat a vehicle?
Maybe I got the unicorn and you got the lemon?

Ram 12 21.jpgRam Jam 2.JPG
Re: We’ve have had quality probs for years, admits Ford CEO [Re: Kern Dog] #3104433
12/22/22 07:05 AM
12/22/22 07:05 AM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
We had a 2010 Edge sport years ago. We really liked it, it drove awesome, got decent MPG etc. It was a rattle trap inside though and that drove my wife crazy. We traded it on a 2015 Dodge Journey, the Journey was way better in build quality which was surprising.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: We’ve have had quality probs for years, admits Ford CEO [Re: Bad340fish] #3104505
12/22/22 12:07 PM
12/22/22 12:07 PM
md
M
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Offline
I Live Here
M

md
My 2014 Ram 1500 has been a much better vehicle vs my 2006 Ram 2500. Replaced lots of parts on the 06 with around 100,000 miles.

Re: We’ve have had quality probs for years, admits Ford CEO [Re: Kern Dog] #3104625
12/22/22 05:19 PM
12/22/22 05:19 PM
Usa
A
A39Coronet Offline
super stock
A39Coronet  Offline
super stock
A

Usa
Originally Posted by Kern Dog

Didn't need to replace the brakes until 119,000 on the rear, then 121,000 on the front. Yes...the rear actually wore first.

Daily driven trucks don't last long enough in Pa to go that far. They rust into the ground well before that. Even my 05 1500 that never saw snow got the rust above the wheel wells. My wife's jeep grand charokee is a 2015, 65k, and I sweep it into the dust bin almost once a week.

Maybe the EPA should get on them about how poor rust prevention is.

Last edited by A39Coronet; 12/22/22 05:21 PM.

Follow my G3 Hemi Barracuda build on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDAWczXoZw&list=PLTus_wQu8POADHEeJNJp2nr4NMHEyB9EK

2015 Tri-State Stock Super Stock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar No Box Winner
Re: We’ve have had quality probs for years, admits Ford CEO [Re: A39Coronet] #3104641
12/22/22 06:19 PM
12/22/22 06:19 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Originally Posted by A39Coronet

Daily driven trucks don't last long enough in Pa to go that far. They rust into the ground well before that. Even my 05 1500 that never saw snow got the rust above the wheel wells. My wife's jeep grand charokee is a 2015, 65k, and I sweep it into the dust bin almost once a week.

Maybe the EPA should get on them about how poor rust prevention is.

I'll never understand why anyone lives where it snows that much.

Re: We’ve have had quality probs for years, admits Ford CEO [Re: Kern Dog] #3104651
12/22/22 06:41 PM
12/22/22 06:41 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI

I do live in WI so it's not nice in winter but both trucks lived in the same place under the same conditions
Pretty sure I know how to take care of vehicles...been turning wrenches my whole life. again both vehicles live under the same conditions
Pretty sure I got the lemon. I was willing to give Ram another try in '13 after I had enough of that 04 but I failed to get 3 local dealers to work up a deal on a new Ram......so off to Ford I went....haven't looked back. Still driving that '13 FX4 and like it.

Re: We’ve have had quality probs for years, admits Ford CEO [Re: mopars4ever] #3104653
12/22/22 06:54 PM
12/22/22 06:54 PM
Nor here, Nor there
D
Dart 500 Offline
pro stock
Dart 500  Offline
pro stock
D

Nor here, Nor there
Originally Posted by mopars4ever
My 2014 Ram 1500 has been a much better vehicle vs my 2006 Ram 2500. Replaced lots of parts on the 06 with around 100,000 miles.

06 was Daimler era, the cost and corner cutter kings (remember the tupper ware interiors from back then? fan.

By '14 they had been pouring money and resources back into the trucks

Page 2 of 2 1 2