06/13/22 07:35 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Online content
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Online Content
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Originally Posted by 2boltmain

Times have changed just in the past 10 years. A BAD employee in these crazy modern times still has tremendous value. Not my opinion but its the new norm. When you get rid of a bad employee you didn't do something positive- you made it so the crew is down by 1 worker. Its maddening.

Where crummy jobs that are hard to fill is concerned this is true. You know they want to can the person, but the fact that nobody else applied for the job, ect. plus they can't go very long with the spot vacant stops them.

Worse is when they try to reward crummy workers thinking they are going to straighten them out somehow. mad Huge morale killer for everyone else.

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: 360view] #3050367
06/14/22 06:10 AM
06/14/22 06:10 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline OP
master
2boltmain  Offline OP
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Originally Posted by 360view
One could consider how to answer the job interview question:

Please describe your most troublesome personality trait....

This is a good question to be prepared for. What I see- in my field is a person whos credentials on paper are fantastic plus they interview WONDERFULLY. But after hiring them their lack of motivation lack of knowledge and care as well as their plentiful "Don't really give a dam" becomes apparent. I plan to offer myself for a non payed several hour dry run at any place I am interested in. Many office type positions ask this of potential candidates. Candidate actually shadows/works with an employee for 2-4 hours- non paid so the employer can get some insight as to what the candidate truly is like.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: 360view] #3050368
06/14/22 06:31 AM
06/14/22 06:31 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
It is a pain to be called for 12 months of “Grand Jury” duty, and even worse to have it extended from 12 months to 18 months.

However, the experience of being with 24 other jurors and listening to a prosecutor’s methods of interviewing both innocent witnesses and very questionable suspects is educational. Afterwards the insights of the other jurors who pick up things you missed is humbling.

But I do not feel you can spot a good worker by talking,
either miners or home health care workers.

I will also admit to being an “Old Coot” who thinks young people who must check that cell phone screen every ten breaths are not earning their pay.

Employers rejecting 50+ year old job applicants should re-think.

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: 360view] #3050411
06/14/22 09:37 AM
06/14/22 09:37 AM
new jersey usa
11secdart Online content
master
11secdart  Online Content
master

new jersey usa
Age discrimination is real I was let go for that reason ( they claimed I could get covid based on my age ) and used that as an excuse. I never got covid and am fully vaccinated. Despite performing three different jobs at the time I was still "laid off " I would have tried to bring some sort of legal action against the company but with the covid thing at the time its would have been difficult. The place was awful with clueless management and I was the oldest employee by far. I was always perceived as having an attitude the entire ten years I was employed there.yes I did! I worked my butt off always going the extra mile while most of the rest of the employees hid and went out of their way to avoid doing anything but they were the ones favored and relished by management . They actually did me a favor letting me go as I received my first SS check a few weeks before my termination. I really don't understand the age discrimination , the older employees like my self have so much knowledge , experience , a better work ethic and are more reliable in most cases this toss them out at a certain age attitude is such waste of talent. a word of advice : try not to give your current employers name during the interview, I did once and it came back to haunt me, my boss at the time ( different than one I was let go from ) called my in his office and asked why I was looking elsewhere.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: 11secdart] #3053215
06/25/22 08:39 AM
06/25/22 08:39 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline OP
master
2boltmain  Offline OP
master

Holland MI Ottawa
UPDATE 06/24/2022: I start at the facility I was pursuing on July 11th. Ultra modern shop with impressive automation and best of all- their reputation is fantastic. Interviews went well and I have already given 2 weeks notice to my current employer. Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions. An added benefit- I was satisfied with my current salary but the new job is paying me more than $5 MORE per hour! They were confident in me. Thanks again everyone! Oh and when they asked what I don't like about my current job I was honest but not super specific. We were purchased back in July of 2021. New owner has brought in many new customers and many more injection molds but the current 6 molding machines, 2 technicians and one 8 hour shift per day department simply cannot and has not been able to come close to satisfying the new customers needs.

BTW- I did not tell my new employer this but I am telling moparts member because I was vague here on the forum on what I don't like about my current job I have been at for 11 years. Last September the new owner claimed by June of 2022 we would have our current machines repaired- our water cooling system repaired and at least 3 more machines. Also claimed additional new hire employees would make it so we can run 3 solidly staffed shifts as opposed to the current ONE shift. None of this has happened yet. The new customers are demanding their product and my new owner/boss is unbearable and places some blame on myself and my coworker tech.
Thanks again everyone. Mike

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: 2boltmain] #3053235
06/25/22 11:03 AM
06/25/22 11:03 AM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Congratulations! Enjoy your new job.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: slantzilla] #3053243
06/25/22 11:33 AM
06/25/22 11:33 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline OP
master
2boltmain  Offline OP
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Originally Posted by slantzilla
Congratulations! Enjoy your new job.

Thank you slant.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: 2boltmain] #3053283
06/25/22 01:57 PM
06/25/22 01:57 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
up andx Congrats,
Update us in 6-12 months after the honeymoon is over LOL wink beer

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: TJP] #3053428
06/26/22 08:31 AM
06/26/22 08:31 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
new owner claimed by June of 2022 we would have our current machines repaired- our water cooling system repaired and at least 3 more machines. Also claimed additional new hire employees would make it so we can run 3 solidly staffed shifts as opposed to the current ONE shift. None of this has happened yet.

That happens quite often with new ownership. Happens even more often with new management. Managers come in and think they have all the answers, change things and the results are worse - which they blame on staff who "resist change". Or they think they'll implement new processes only to discover the budget isn't there to support them.

Good luck in your new position.

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: Stanton] #3053499
06/26/22 01:04 PM
06/26/22 01:04 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Stanton
new owner claimed by June of 2022 we would have our current machines repaired- our water cooling system repaired and at least 3 more machines. Also claimed additional new hire employees would make it so we can run 3 solidly staffed shifts as opposed to the current ONE shift. None of this has happened yet.

That happens quite often with new ownership. Happens even more often with new management. Managers come in and think they have all the answers, change things and the results are worse - which they blame on staff who "resist change". Or they think they'll implement new processes only to discover the budget isn't there to support them.

Good luck in your new position.
Reminds me of a joke
A new plant manager is hired. His predecessor leaves 3 envelopes in the middle desk drawer with instructions not to open any of them until the sh-ts really hitting the fan.
At that time open #1 and the others if needed in succession.
About 6 months goes by and it's getting pretty bad and so he opens #1.
It says, blame it all and your predecessor, say you have things under control and a plan but need more time to smoothly implement it.
About 6 months passes again, and it worse than it's been yet, so he opens #2.
It says, Say it was a bigger mess/problem than you expected, but have a reorganization plan that will definitely straighten things out. But need time to implement it.
Another 6 months passes, he opens the 3rd envelope. It say's Prepare 3 envelopes. smile

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: TJP] #3053510
06/26/22 01:42 PM
06/26/22 01:42 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
The last company I worked for I was hired to replace a manager who had only been there a few months. He was fired on the morning I was to start so our paths crossed and as he was walking by he said "good luck". The office was a mess indicating he lacked organization and people said he 'd spent a lot of time outside smoking. HOWEVER, three days into the job and I knew I'd be gone in about 2 years. Why? Because the company had a 50% per year turnover of admin staff. I was gone 26 months later. And while I did make a lame effort to find employment my heart just wasn't in it. That was 2006. Since that time I started three small businesses, the sum of which earn me a decent wage while also giving me a lot of freedom and free time. I sold one of the businesses a few years back. I'll be 70 this year and I could continue with the remaining two for probably another five years but my wife retires in a couple months so I probably won't continue too much longer. If you have a skill set, some initiative, ambition and a few smarts, nothing beats being self-employed.

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: Stanton] #3053747
06/27/22 09:41 AM
06/27/22 09:41 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline OP
master
2boltmain  Offline OP
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Cant thank everyone enough. Stanton I am not in management but I can see everything you and TJP are saying.

Keep old mopars alive.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3