Oregon
A
AndyF Online content
I Win
AndyF  Online Content
I Win
A

Oregon
Well then there is your answer. Say you loved the job for a long time but the company changed hands and it isn't quite the same so you're looking for a new opportunity.

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: AndyF] #3049893
06/12/22 11:56 AM
06/12/22 11:56 AM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX

Interesting topic.

Do the suggestions actually work? I have personally tried a few of them and just ended up having them bite me in the a$$.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: SattyNoCar] #3049933
06/12/22 01:45 PM
06/12/22 01:45 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
If you’re older than 50 you’re just filling their job interview quota. They’d be real hard up to offer a job. A buddy worked 28 years as a safety inspector, new company bought the company out just to pass regulations (cheating on nuclear stuff) he would not do that so they laid hm off (fired) finally got another job that lasted 3 years. He wouldn’t get vaxed so they ‘had grounds to let him go’. He’s 58, un-hire able. He’s Picking up scrap metal now to make ends meet. On The first job he had credentials to enter ANY building in DC and shut it down if he saw a safety violation. So top to bottom in a few years because of age.

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: cudaman1969] #3049935
06/12/22 02:08 PM
06/12/22 02:08 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
If you’re older than 50 you’re just filling their job interview quota. They’d be real hard up to offer a job. A buddy worked 28 years as a safety inspector, new company bought the company out just to pass regulations (cheating on nuclear stuff) he would not do that so they laid hm off (fired) finally got another job that lasted 3 years. He wouldn’t get vaxed so they ‘had grounds to let him go’. He’s 58, un-hire able. He’s Picking up scrap metal now to make ends meet. On The first job he had credentials to enter ANY building in DC and shut it down if he saw a safety violation. So top to bottom in a few years because of age.

I agree. If you are in a field that is not constantly advancing because of technology, you have a chance if you are in your 50's and change jobs. You may also have a chance if you are trained on the latest and greatest of something. If that is not the case, no one will hire you because they don't want to invest in any employee training for an employee that will be there less than 10 years,

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: 6PakBee] #3049952
06/12/22 02:50 PM
06/12/22 02:50 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
I just went through this in November. When asked why I wanted to leave my job I simply said "I don't, but you've been trying to recruit me for 6 months". They hired me.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: SattyNoCar] #3049961
06/12/22 03:13 PM
06/12/22 03:13 PM
Nor here, Nor there
D
Dart 500 Offline
super stock
Dart 500  Offline
super stock
D

Nor here, Nor there
Originally Posted by Satilite73

Interesting topic.

Do the suggestions actually work? I have personally tried a few of them and just ended up having them bite me in the a$$.

Never, ever, bash your current employer - all the hiring person sees is you bashing them next time you're looking for a job. Also, somewhat related make sure you do a full search on employee reviews of the place on indeed and glassdoor, don't go work for some dump that treats their workers like crap.

Last edited by Dart 500; 06/12/22 03:14 PM.
Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: Dart 500] #3050013
06/12/22 07:47 PM
06/12/22 07:47 PM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
Funny….. back in the day being at one employer for a long time showed dedication and hard work. Now it shows you’ve become complacent and not looking to better yourself.

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: J_BODY] #3050035
06/12/22 09:08 PM
06/12/22 09:08 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
I once worked for a guy who would hire two or more with the intent of keeping one. The one he wanted to keep would magically present themselves after the others showed signs of poor reliability/flakiness in a short amount of time.

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: Neil] #3050068
06/13/22 12:17 AM
06/13/22 12:17 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Online content
I Win
AndyF  Online Content
I Win
A

Oregon
When I worked at Xerox we only hired contract employees. If one of the contract employees showed some promise then they were offered a full time position.

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: AndyF] #3050075
06/13/22 05:03 AM
06/13/22 05:03 AM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline
master
That AMC Guy  Offline
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
A lot of it really depends on who or what is giving the interview. Anything you say can be misconstrued and more often than not - will be. Doubly so if you get a woman giving the interview.

I've never gotten a job when a woman has interviewed me. I believe they find me sexually intimidating.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: 2boltmain] #3050077
06/13/22 06:23 AM
06/13/22 06:23 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
One could consider how to answer the job interview question:

Please describe your most troublesome personality trait....

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: cudaman1969] #3050084
06/13/22 07:46 AM
06/13/22 07:46 AM
PA
70Duster Offline
top fuel
70Duster  Offline
top fuel

PA
If you’re older than 50 you’re just filling their job interview quota. ..........Finally got another job that lasted 3 years. He wouldn’t get vaxed so they ‘had grounds to let him go’. He’s 58, un-hire able. He’s Picking up scrap metal now to make ends meet. On The first job he had credentials to enter ANY building in DC and shut it down if he saw a safety violation. So top to bottom in a few years because of age.

I don't understand how getting fired because he refused to comply with the company's vaccination mandate could be considered age discrimination.

2Bolt.... Be sure to highlight your experience in processing. A good Injecting Molding Process Technician that really understands material rheology and how the machine actually works is really hard to find. Explain the principles of Scientific Injection Molding to the interviewer and explain the virtues of transferring on position vs. transferring on pressure. Give them an exapmple of how you establish the optimun injection speed and explain how to establish gate seal. Tell them what happens in a process when you have a bad check ring. Even if they don't understand what you're talking about, it's good conversation material and will really separate you from other candidates. Don't let all this talk about age discrimination deter you. If you are good or the best at what you do, age won't be a factor. Companies are having a difficult time right now hiring qualified candidates and you are in a field of high demand if you really understand how to set up a solid plastic injection molding process using scientific principles.

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: 70Duster] #3050116
06/13/22 09:40 AM
06/13/22 09:40 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline OP
master
2boltmain  Offline OP
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Originally Posted by 70Duster
If you’re older than 50 you’re just filling their job interview quota. ..........Finally got another job that lasted 3 years. He wouldn’t get vaxed so they ‘had grounds to let him go’. He’s 58, un-hire able. He’s Picking up scrap metal now to make ends meet. On The first job he had credentials to enter ANY building in DC and shut it down if he saw a safety violation. So top to bottom in a few years because of age.

I don't understand how getting fired because he refused to comply with the company's vaccination mandate could be considered age discrimination.

2Bolt.... Be sure to highlight your experience in processing. A good Injecting Molding Process Technician that really understands material rheology and how the machine actually works is really hard to find. Explain the principles of Scientific Injection Molding to the interviewer and explain the virtues of transferring on position vs. transferring on pressure. Give them an exapmple of how you establish the optimun injection speed and explain how to establish gate seal. Tell them what happens in a process when you have a bad check ring. Even if they don't understand what you're talking about, it's good conversation material and will really separate you from other candidates. Don't let all this talk about age discrimination deter you. If you are good or the best at what you do, age won't be a factor. Companies are having a difficult time right now hiring qualified candidates and you are in a field of high demand if you really understand how to set up a solid plastic injection molding process using scientific principles.

Hey a fellow technician! When I am interviewed by a tech/supervisor I will be sure to discuss that- My education that's backed up with experience. Previous employers paid alot of money for the RJG Training I have. All good advice. For the record I am 53 years old. I never pursued anything higher than a floor process tech because in my experience- the supervisory and process engineer positions- while paying more included ALOT MORE GRIEF AND HEADACHES than the lower paid technician job.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: 360view] #3050172
06/13/22 11:49 AM
06/13/22 11:49 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by 360view

that's easy, Honesty, although it may get one bounced a they don't always like to hear the facts / truth.

the last interview I had I knew I blew it with my response to one question but actually didn't care as it was honest and factual. in addition i was tired off Corporate America and the BS associated with it.
We were discussing my Knowledge and experiences with Kaizen implementation and how to deal a problem employee that was not participating in the concept.
I said Step 1. was to counsel them and try to get them involved to accept the philosophy. Step 2. If they weren't responding, move them to a different work group. Step 3. Repeat step 2. Step 4. start the paper trail (written warnings etc.). Step 5. Termination
I clearly sensed they did not like nummber 5.
They the asked, what if the employee has been with the company 15-20 years. My answer was the blowing it part, I said, you may choose to try a bit harder to bring them around but in my experiences some just won't and if that's the case termination is the nly option. The interview ended very shortly thereafter. beer

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: TJP] #3050178
06/13/22 12:06 PM
06/13/22 12:06 PM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline OP
master
2boltmain  Offline OP
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Originally Posted by TJP

that's easy, Honesty, although it may get one bounced a they don't always like to hear the facts / truth.

the last interview I had I knew I blew it with my response to one question but actually didn't care as it was honest and factual. in addition i was tired off Corporate America and the BS associated with it.
We were discussing my Knowledge and experiences with Kaizen implementation and how to deal a problem employee that was not participating in the concept.
I said Step 1. was to counsel them and try to get them involved to accept the philosophy. Step 2. If they weren't responding, move them to a different work group. Step 3. Repeat step 2. Step 4. start the paper trail (written warnings etc.). Step 5. Termination
I clearly sensed they did not like nummber 5.
They the asked, what if the employee has been with the company 15-20 years. My answer was the blowing it part, I said, you may choose to try a bit harder to bring them around but in my experiences some just won't and if that's the case termination is the nly option. The interview ended very shortly thereafter. beer

Times have changed just in the past 10 years. A BAD employee in these crazy modern times still has tremendous value. Not my opinion but its the new norm. When you get rid of a bad employee you didn't do something positive- you made it so the crew is down by 1 worker. Its maddening.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: TJP] #3050198
06/13/22 01:17 PM
06/13/22 01:17 PM
PA
70Duster Offline
top fuel
70Duster  Offline
top fuel

PA
Originally Posted by TJP
[quote=360view] ..........how to deal a problem employee that was not participating in the concept.

My number one rule for this is to always ask the employee a lot of questions and always ask them for their ideas. Work together with them and even implement some of the things they want to do even if there is little intrinsic value in doing so. After enough discussion, you can usually end up with the employee thinking some of the ideas you are proposing are their ideas, and from then on, things get easier. Getting their cooperation is crucial. An employee on the plant floor can make the worst idea a winner or make the best idea a loser. Without their buy-in and cooperation, chances are the idea will fail. Also, find the "leader of the pack" in the department. You know....the one who is the most outspoken and the one the others follow. Convince the "leader of the pack" and the rest will follow.

Companies don't want to deal with terminations and the possible/probable lawsuits that follow, so termination is always the last resort. Termination involves months and months of documentation and paperwork let alone then trying to find a new hire that will be any better. That's why the interview ended abrubtly after the suggestion of termination entered the conversation.

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: 2boltmain] #3050212
06/13/22 01:56 PM
06/13/22 01:56 PM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Originally Posted by 2boltmain
Times have changed just in the past 10 years. A BAD employee in these crazy modern times still has tremendous value. Not my opinion but its the new norm. When you get rid of a bad employee you didn't do something positive- you made it so the crew is down by 1 worker. Its maddening.

Yep, sad. Firing someone is helpful if you can replace them with someone who is (or can be) better. But that is easier said than done right now.

Unless the guy is downright toxic, sometimes a mediocre guy is better than no one at all.

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: 360view] #3050215
06/13/22 02:09 PM
06/13/22 02:09 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan

They usually want to hear:
-Perfectionist
-Neat Freak
-Time Freak (everything must be early to be on time, therefore 5 minutes early is late, and on time is late)

"Describe to me a situation where there was a problem at work, and what you did to solve it"
When this happens, whatever example that personally comes to my mind is usually not a great one.
My strategy was take the time to think of two or three issues that really happened, physically write or print them on a piece of paper, and have that in front of you
when interviewing to refer to in the heat of the moment.
Use this same paper to take notes on what the interviewer says that is of interest.

Don't be afraid to have a musician's "set list" of best possible answers to all the weirdo questions you know they are probably going to ask.
Just because you can answer them in the heat of the moment doesn't mean the answer you choose at that time will be your best one!
Work on it ahead of time. They work on their weirdo questions ahead of time and are reading them from a script.....you can do the same....

There are good books out there
https://www.amazon.com/Interviews-Dummies-Joyce-Lain-Kennedy/dp/1118112903

Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: That AMC Guy] #3050255
06/13/22 04:28 PM
06/13/22 04:28 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by That AMC Guy
A lot of it really depends on who or what is giving the interview. Anything you say can be misconstrued and more often than not - will be. Doubly so if you get a woman giving the interview.

I've never gotten a job when a woman has interviewed me. I believe they find me sexually intimidating.

LOL...was it that you were parting your eyebrows with your tongue?

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: During a job interview- how to answer....... [Re: ZIPPY] #3050288
06/13/22 07:11 PM
06/13/22 07:11 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Now I know why I became self employed. I didn't plat BS very well, nor did I care to.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3