07/16/21 12:40 PM
Stuttgart, Arkansas
rickseeman Offline
master
rickseeman  Offline
master

Stuttgart, Arkansas
Originally Posted by Transman
I think the dowels are .250”, just like all the B/RB head dowels, and same as the chain cover dowels.

One would think they are .250" dowels but Mopars are actually a couple thou smaller. (I'm not in my shop right now or I'd measure one.)

2011 Drag Pak Challenger
Re: Hemi Oil leak [Re: rickseeman] #2943914
07/16/21 12:59 PM
07/16/21 12:59 PM
Stuttgart, Arkansas
rickseeman Offline
master
rickseeman  Offline
master

Stuttgart, Arkansas
Obviously, the builder has never put a Hemi together (otherwise how could it not have all the rocker stand dowels). I had the same oil leak as you once. Not a hard fix. Just take the head off, clean the surfaces, spray a Fel-Pro with copper coat and reassemble. Take your time on installing the intake manifold.

2011 Drag Pak Challenger
Re: Hemi Oil leak [Re: rickseeman] #2943925
07/16/21 01:34 PM
07/16/21 01:34 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline OP
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline OP
I Live Here
N

Finished getting the head off. Felpro 1104 gasket looks fine. Head surface has minute machining groove where the block is a lot smoother. Hot oil has to be wicking out from the return passage. I think a new gasket and some sealant on both sides of the gaskets in these areas and I should be ok.

Re: Hemi Oil leak [Re: NITROUSN] #2944500
07/18/21 10:11 AM
07/18/21 10:11 AM
Mt. Eden Ky.
Hemi Allstate Offline
master
Hemi Allstate  Offline
master

Mt. Eden Ky.
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
Finished getting the head off. Felpro 1104 gasket looks fine. Head surface has minute machining groove where the block is a lot smoother. Hot oil has to be wicking out from the return passage. I think a new gasket and some sealant on both sides of the gaskets in these areas and I should be ok.

I had the same type leeking on my MP block and MP aluminum head engine. I think you have the right idea coating the new gaskets.
I just wanted to add that I used these gaskets from Arruzza on mine and it solved the problem. I don't know if they are still available, and the bore sizes are limited to .070" over 4.250".

http://www.arruzzahighperformance.com/Parts/Parts.html

Mark

1996 Ram 1500 Sport
1968 road runner
1952 Sears Allstate licensed, pump gas, Hemi 5.98 @ 115.73 1.33 60 ft. The best is yet to come. Painless Performance / Street RODDER magazine Top 100 for 2019
Re: Hemi Oil leak [Re: Hemi Allstate] #2944512
07/18/21 10:55 AM
07/18/21 10:55 AM
N
NITROUSN Offline OP
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline OP
I Live Here
N

Originally Posted by Hemi Allstate

I had the same type leeking on my MP block and MP aluminum head engine. I think you have the right idea coating the new gaskets.
I just wanted to add that I used these gaskets from Arruzza on mine and it solved the problem. I don't know if they are still available, and the bore sizes are limited to .070" over 4.250".

http://www.arruzzahighperformance.com/Parts/Parts.html

Mark

Thanks. Those are nice gaskets. I am at 4.500 so they would not work. At this time I am sticking with the Felpro just need to deal with the trouble spots with a little anaerobic high temp sealer..

Re: Hemi Oil leak [Re: A727Tflite] #2944874
07/19/21 03:25 PM
07/19/21 03:25 PM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
Originally Posted by Moparteacher
You can add a 1/4 oz. of florescent UV dye to the oil to pinpoint the exact source, or simply spray foot powder onto the area. The foot powder works pretty darn good to indicated the oil trace. Another option is to use a smoke machine in the crankcase and watch to see where the smoke comes out.

No need for any more look for tricks. I can wipe and watch it seep out in that area between the head and block.

No pressurized oil at the front of the head.

The oil drain in each corner is just that, a drain. Most of the oil goes to the back due to engine angle on most cars.

Hard to believe the source of the leak has anything to do with the intake. First thing I would do is pull the valve cover and check head bolt torque.

You would think. Let me share my oil leak frustration. I had same oil leak. Used three different head gaskets and still leaked. I had the engine on a run in stand so it wasn't an awful job to swap out, but still major pain. I tried sealant around the drain, coating gaskets, non-hardening sealant, Hylomar, etc. I noticed that the leak would move up the more sealant I added to the drain. So one day I was in the office shooting the bull with another mopar guy and we started sketching the oil system on the board. We drew up the pressurized passages and then started playing what ifs. So I knew there is pressurized oil in the rocker shafts. And that the rocker shaft pedestals for the supply line had holes drilled to supply the shafts. What if the front stands were drilled too? Pressurized oil could get down to the head/block interface. So I removed all the pedestals. Sure enough 6 out of the ten had oil supply holes drilled. These were aftermarket stands and I do not know who made them as they came with my box of rocks. So I tapped the holes on the non supply pedestals and inserted a set screw with sealant. No more leaks. PS, I call my Hemi a box of rocks because it was a large crate of parts that couldn't have worked all together. I ended up replacing some large money parts to finally get a running engine. It was an ebay purchase of a freshly machined engine just needing assembly so I took my chances. And partially lost. I did recover most of the parts.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1
Re: Hemi Oil leak [Re: RoadRunner] #2944880
07/19/21 04:00 PM
07/19/21 04:00 PM
Michigan
A
A727Tflite Offline
master
A727Tflite  Offline
master
A

Michigan
Originally Posted by RoadRunner
Originally Posted by Moparteacher
You can add a 1/4 oz. of florescent UV dye to the oil to pinpoint the exact source, or simply spray foot powder onto the area. The foot powder works pretty darn good to indicated the oil trace. Another option is to use a smoke machine in the crankcase and watch to see where the smoke comes out.

No need for any more look for tricks. I can wipe and watch it seep out in that area between the head and block.

No pressurized oil at the front of the head.

The oil drain in each corner is just that, a drain. Most of the oil goes to the back due to engine angle on most cars.

Hard to believe the source of the leak has anything to do with the intake. First thing I would do is pull the valve cover and check head bolt torque.

You would think. Let me share my oil leak frustration. I had same oil leak. Used three different head gaskets and still leaked. I had the engine on a run in stand so it wasn't an awful job to swap out, but still major pain. I tried sealant around the drain, coating gaskets, non-hardening sealant, Hylomar, etc. I noticed that the leak would move up the more sealant I added to the drain. So one day I was in the office shooting the bull with another mopar guy and we started sketching the oil system on the board. We drew up the pressurized passages and then started playing what ifs. So I knew there is pressurized oil in the rocker shafts. And that the rocker shaft pedestals for the supply line had holes drilled to supply the shafts. What if the front stands were drilled too? Pressurized oil could get down to the head/block interface. So I removed all the pedestals. Sure enough 6 out of the ten had oil supply holes drilled. These were aftermarket stands and I do not know who made them as they came with my box of rocks. So I tapped the holes on the non supply pedestals and inserted a set screw with sealant. No more leaks. PS, I call my Hemi a box of rocks because it was a large crate of parts that couldn't have worked all together. I ended up replacing some large money parts to finally get a running engine. It was an ebay purchase of a freshly machined engine just needing assembly so I took my chances. And partially lost. I did recover most of the parts.

Please explain how what you did fixed your leak. I must be missing something. Excess oil “leaks” internal are leaking to the outside - how?

Re: Hemi Oil leak [Re: A727Tflite] #2945856
07/21/21 11:00 PM
07/21/21 11:00 PM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
The rocker stand oil galley is open to the headbolt. Pressurized oil is therefore on the head side of the head bolt. The head gaskets have embossing around the cylinder, water passages and oil passage, but not around the head bolt, so its easier for pressurized oil to leak out. I wish I had taken pictures. If you remove the rocker stand that is tied to the oil feed port in the head (between 5 and 7 say on the driver side), that stand will have a hole drilled to feed oil to the rocker shafts. The only two rocker stands that need, or should have the hole, are the two that line up with the oil feed holes in the block. On my stands, several had the oil feed holes. The bolts that hold the shafts have enlarged bores to pass the oil from the drilling into the shafts. Again, the other rocker stands had this too, so oil was able to pressurize these drilled passages. I think only way to understand what I am trying to explain is taking a look at the rocker stands. If the front stands have holes, then I would bet you are getting pressurized oil at the front head bolt, and since the head gasket isn't embossed around the head bolt, oil is being pushed out to the lock/head interface. I am just saying I had my engine apart three times before finding it. Once I blocked those passages in all but the required rocker stands, I had no issues.

2023 Ford Mach 1
Re: Hemi Oil leak [Re: RoadRunner] #2945939
07/22/21 09:40 AM
07/22/21 09:40 AM
N
NITROUSN Offline OP
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline OP
I Live Here
N

Originally Posted by RoadRunner
The rocker stand oil galley is open to the headbolt. Pressurized oil is therefore on the head side of the head bolt. The head gaskets have embossing around the cylinder, water passages and oil passage, but not around the head bolt, so its easier for pressurized oil to leak out. I wish I had taken pictures. If you remove the rocker stand that is tied to the oil feed port in the head (between 5 and 7 say on the driver side), that stand will have a hole drilled to feed oil to the rocker shafts. The only two rocker stands that need, or should have the hole, are the two that line up with the oil feed holes in the block. On my stands, several had the oil feed holes. The bolts that hold the shafts have enlarged bores to pass the oil from the drilling into the shafts. Again, the other rocker stands had this too, so oil was able to pressurize these drilled passages. I think only way to understand what I am trying to explain is taking a look at the rocker stands. If the front stands have holes, then I would bet you are getting pressurized oil at the front head bolt, and since the head gasket isn't embossed around the head bolt, oil is being pushed out to the lock/head interface. I am just saying I had my engine apart three times before finding it. Once I blocked those passages in all but the required rocker stands, I had no issues.

I just went out and looked all 5 stands are drilled in two places. So I can see that the one fed from the cam through the stand feeds both shafts and the other 4 drilled stands. With that being said the 4 stand hold down bolts are pressurized to the block surface. When I go back together I will seal the head gasket both sides on all the stand holes along with the return passages.

Re: Hemi Oil leak [Re: NITROUSN] #2946283
07/23/21 09:16 AM
07/23/21 09:16 AM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
I used the proper drill, drilled out the passages, tapped for a 1/4-20 thread and used a set screw with sealant to plug the holes. If I recall the holes are something a bit more than 1/8" so a No.10 thread set screw wouldn't work. I felt it was a much more positive isolation than depending on sealant around head bolt holes on head gasket. But it is a bit more work.

Last edited by RoadRunner; 07/23/21 09:16 AM.

2023 Ford Mach 1
Page 2 of 2 1 2