super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by 70RT Charger
Originally Posted by 80fbody
Mine is great. Zero rfi issues. I'd prefer a separate ecu type system in the future but it's been a good system. Gotta really treat it like a new toyota. Very sensitive to voltage, grounds, battery amperage, etc. New wiring throughout the car. Quality connections & splices. Etc. Not saying they're not having issues otherwise but many, many units are out there performing. My remote tuner is tuning probably 4-5 a day, every day it seems. Definitely not a system where you just replace the carb and use a bunch blue butt connectors and roll.

That is correct. A Sniper is not a simple carb replacement, especially on a Mopar. There are a lot of things that need to be changed before the Sniper "bolts on". I prefer to start with a new engine compartment harness and go from there.
Andy what EFi do you recommend for my 440. I was thinking about going to an Elderbrock Pro flo and getting a size bigger injector as I’m pushing close to 600hp. The tech at Elderbrock told me they only made 2 MAPS for my application that only worked below 12 pounds of Vacuum. I can’t remember what I have but it will be close as I’m running a xr286hr. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not a fan of the Edelbrock system since it is a "black box" which can't really be tuned. FAST used to make good stuff but they have fallen behind now. I would never recommend FiTech even though some people have good luck with those systems. Same with MegaSquirt, I'd never use a MS system or recommend it but there are a lot of MS fans out there who will talk about how great their system is for hours on end. Only thing I recommend these days is a Holley system. The Sniper is the entry level throttle body, next step up is the Terminator X so probably one of those systems. The HP and Dominator systems are much more expensive and complicated and really need a pro to install.
Ok I’ll look these up. Are any of these a direct injection set up like the Elderbrock and thanks for the advise. I’ve been looking at the Terminator X/Stealth 4150

Last edited by 70RT Charger; 07/05/21 07:54 PM.
Re: Holley sniper kits suck BEWARE [Re: 70RT Charger] #2940268
07/05/21 08:25 PM
07/05/21 08:25 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
If you want port injection then you have to step up to the Holley HP or Dominator ECU. There is a big price jump when you do that. If you need some help with an EFI decision contact Rich at FAST Man EFI. Rich is a member on here but he doesn't check in on a daily basis. Rich is a dealer for different EFI vendors and he has installed hundreds of systems over the years. He tunes a couple hundred EFI cars a year so he has seen most everything.

For a street car I wouldn't worry about port injection vs. throttle body. For a race car the port injection can be helpful. For a big power race car, especially something boosted then you should go port injection with either a HP or Dominator ECU. Anything in the four figure power level probably wants to consider getting rid of the distributor and using coil packs. Of course, I ignore all those rules when I did the EFI system for my street driven Duster!

DSC_4624 (Large).JPG
Re: Holley sniper kits suck BEWARE [Re: Dragula] #2940270
07/05/21 08:30 PM
07/05/21 08:30 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by Dragula
My sniper 4500 has been pretty good. It learns well, it runs well I did wire it per the manual, and I did upgrade my alternator big time.
I would also prefer the ECU was separate.

Yeah originally the Sniper was the only "econo" choice but now the Terminator X Stealth is out and it is only $200 more than a Sniper. I think the Terminator X is the way to go for most performance cars. The ECU can fit under the glove box rather than sit on top of the intake manifold so it will be cooler. With the ECU inside the firewall it will also be less susceptible to RF noise from the ignition system.

Re: Holley sniper kits suck BEWARE [Re: AndyF] #2940283
07/05/21 09:13 PM
07/05/21 09:13 PM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
If you are going to choose a Holley system, I would suggest an original terminator kit if they are still available. They are a nice throttle body system with an HP computer. I don’t like the chinsy connectors of the terminatorX, or the fact that it is sensitive to environment like moisture/ temperature. It also is limited in the use of “wet” fuels because of the bosch only wideband. No on board data logging also means toting a laptop around if you want to get it zeroed in.
If you are making the switch to efi, it is cheaper to spend the ching on the heart of the system and be unlimited on upgrades down the road. An HP will get you a better harness, better sealed ecu, ability to run COP if you choose to, has on board data logging, and uses the exact same software as the flagship Dominator ecu. The HP is limited by only having a few extra configurable in/outputs. However, they do make an expansion module for it from what I hear.
Or just go full bore and get a Dominator system and log/ control anything you can imagine.

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"
Re: Holley sniper kits suck BEWARE [Re: TRENDZ] #2940389
07/06/21 07:13 AM
07/06/21 07:13 AM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
Andy is probably talking about me when he talks about people that love their MegaSquirt systems and could talk about them forever laugh. Mine has been rock solid reliable, its repairable(because I built the ECU) and has done 3 drag weeks, couple hundred passes, and 6 years without a hiccup.

That being said If a wanted a throttle body system I would go Holley no doubt.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: Holley sniper kits suck BEWARE [Re: TRENDZ] #2940399
07/06/21 08:03 AM
07/06/21 08:03 AM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Originally Posted by TRENDZ
If you are going to choose a Holley system, I would suggest an original terminator kit if they are still available. They are a nice throttle body system with an HP computer. I don’t like the chinsy connectors of the terminatorX, or the fact that it is sensitive to environment like moisture/ temperature. It also is limited in the use of “wet” fuels because of the bosch only wideband. No on board data logging also means toting a laptop around if you want to get it zeroed in.
If you are making the switch to efi, it is cheaper to spend the ching on the heart of the system and be unlimited on upgrades down the road. An HP will get you a better harness, better sealed ecu, ability to run COP if you choose to, has on board data logging, and uses the exact same software as the flagship Dominator ecu. The HP is limited by only having a few extra configurable in/outputs. However, they do make an expansion module for it from what I hear.
Or just go full bore and get a Dominator system and log/ control anything you can imagine.
Glad you mentioned that!

Re: Holley sniper kits suck BEWARE [Re: AndyF] #2940400
07/06/21 08:05 AM
07/06/21 08:05 AM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
If you want port injection then you have to step up to the Holley HP or Dominator ECU. There is a big price jump when you do that. If you need some help with an EFI decision contact Rich at FAST Man EFI. Rich is a member on here but he doesn't check in on a daily basis. Rich is a dealer for different EFI vendors and he has installed hundreds of systems over the years. He tunes a couple hundred EFI cars a year so he has seen most everything.

For a street car I wouldn't worry about port injection vs. throttle body. For a race car the port injection can be helpful. For a big power race car, especially something boosted then you should go port injection with either a HP or Dominator ECU. Anything in the four figure power level probably wants to consider getting rid of the distributor and using coil packs. Of course, I ignore all those rules when I did the EFI system for my street driven Duster!
That motor looks great. Do I need to add the crank sensors and any other sensors? If so does anybody sell a kit that makes it easy to install and can I run my firecore distributor and coil without buying the hyperspark and other Holley stuff?

Last edited by 70RT Charger; 07/06/21 10:44 AM.
Re: Holley sniper kits suck BEWARE [Re: 70RT Charger] #2940471
07/06/21 11:22 AM
07/06/21 11:22 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
If you want to switch to EFI and need help selecting the best setup then contact Rich at FAST Man EFI.

Page 2 of 2 1 2