A727Tflite Offline
master
A727Tflite  Offline
master
A

Michigan
Originally Posted by J_BODY
Originally Posted by Transman

That procedure was actually part of what they called a “rock test” at Chrysler Chelsea Proving Grounds.

I don’t recall if it was at a WOT or just a high rpm. It was done to simulate getting stuck in snow, etc. I believe it had to handle 50 cycles of reverse to drive to reverse.

....boy they must have left that test in the past with the 94ish RH trans came along. We repaired so many of those that had gotten stuck. Seems to me most of them welded the output shaft to the OD piston retainer. I was just getting into “the business” at the time and a guy I worked with was losing a check ball and drilling the separator plate. Engaged a bit harsh... but they lived. smile

The intermediate shaft getting stuck in the OD piston retainer is due to lack of lube or extremely high fluid temperature. Likely failed lockup disc back in the early 90’s or snow plow use without the added cooler needed for same.

As for the rear band failures back then, that was Engineering listening to the Customer Advocate Group at the time, people were buying more and more trucks and complaining how they had harsh reverse engagements. So they used two holes - one small and one larger to apply the L/R band using a check ball to float between the two holes. Fine for the average driver but for snow plow use they killed the band. I worked on the Tech Line at the time and our fix was what your buddy was doing.

The two holes and ball slowed the rear band apply so guys doing plowing would toast the band because they didn’t come to a complete stop before placing in manual low or reverse.

The rock cycle wasn’t to test the band, but to test the ORC, as the vehicle actually never went anywhere, just engaged the gear then shifted to the other gear back and forth.

Re: Billet steel 727 front drum? [Re: A727Tflite] #2865153
12/27/20 09:10 AM
12/27/20 09:10 AM
Isle of Sheeps
Gtxxjon Offline OP
enthusiast
Gtxxjon  Offline OP
enthusiast

Isle of Sheeps
Hi Moparians,

Hope you all had a good Christmas!
Very quiet here in the UK TIER-4 lockdown, for the most of us.

We are a nation of stick peeps for the most part.
I remember when I was an apprentice in the early 70’s a guy was fixing auto trans in a nearby unit.
We thought he was a looney or very clever, as no one did that kinda stuff in London Town...
I think he was a German guy who had seen lots of auto cars in Europe.

Anyways, they were a thing of mystery and guys buying American cars back then were in big trouble if you had trans trouble!
Getting parts back then was a nightmare, and you always got sent the wrong thing after a six to eight week wait... fan

But the modern era has given us EBay and knowledge through wonderful sites like Moparts! XmasPengs

So everyday for Limey Mopar owners, is like Christmas XmasTruck

God bless you all from Jon

Last edited by Gtxxjon; 12/27/20 09:16 AM.

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero, thanx Horace!

There’s no point trying to fix stuff that ain’t broke,,, 'but if ain’t broke',,, you is not trying hard enough...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3