"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by Mr.Yuck
Originally Posted by MarkZ
Originally Posted by Mr.Yuck
Originally Posted by JFChallenger440
Just wondering how many people on here don’t have a kickdown cable ?

The Charger I have just bought doesn’t have one and I was considering buying the kit but thinking more of it I don’t think it would bother me too much just to drop down to 2nd gear manually everytime I want some hard acceleration, in fact I kind of like the idea of controlling it manually

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Stay away from aftermarket junk cable "kickdowns". Just go get the correct factory piece and adjust it. When adjusted it will respond w/o the need to shift it manually. As mentioned you MUST run a "kickdown" or you will destroy the transmission.

What's wrong with the cable kits? I'm using a Lokar on my 518 and it works just fine. Haven't touched it since I put the motor in the car.

I bought a Lokar, that thing was a total POS. I could never get it adjusted right. I was trying to get it right at the track and ended up throwing in the trash. I used my old stock unit and modified it with a piece of beer can and it worked perfectly. They are junk, there mounting bracket is flimsy AF...at least 15 years ago they were. I'd never use one again, way to easy to modify a stock unit.

MrYuck has it spot on ! iagree over the years i have taken off over a dozen lokar kits because of their cheapyness..
the cable stretches, the bracketry is flimsy at both the carb and the transmission, and the geometry is bad as well. all this adds up to never being able to adjust correctly.
if a guy needs to go cable for the throttle position linkage, use a factory late model setup or a bouchillion kit.
the factory [rod style] stuff is out there. stick with it.
just my life experience and opinion. your mileage WILL vary.
beer

Re: Kickdown [Re: moparx] #2861807
12/18/20 03:28 PM
12/18/20 03:28 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
I would order the correct year one kit and be done with it. You must have something. If you have some aftermarket carb and intake combo, you might look into the bouchilon cable kit.

Adjust so the lever is all the way forward at idle. Tune the WOT shift point with a governor kit. Get that from A & A trans. They make several for different rpm ranges. Easy to install in tail shaft of trans. Some people will try to raise the wot shift by adjusting the kick down, I always found that to make for a funny shifting trans overall.

I want my fair share
Re: Kickdown [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2861871
12/18/20 06:13 PM
12/18/20 06:13 PM
Florida
BDW Offline
master
BDW  Offline
master

Florida
Bouchillion kit is an exact copy of the later Mopar factory designed cable system with an adapter plate to make it universal.
I have 1 and it works, for a non resto application this is definitely the way to go.

Page 2 of 2 1 2