Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How much clearance in ebody with LA, around stock components [Re: moparx] #2830977
10/09/20 10:54 PM
10/09/20 10:54 PM
GA
roadrunninMark Offline OP
master
roadrunninMark  Offline OP
master

GA
IMGTX, I have not done any real world measuring as I do not have one of the 8 speeds at this time. I have just been following a lot of swaps using the Gen 3 with it. There are guys getting them under the cars without cutting, using the Holley mounts/ Hemi Denny K's. These setups lower the engine and move the engine forward about 1" in each direction (according to Holley's site) and the trans then clears everything (with a little grinding of nonessential pieces and changing the breather to a 90 degree). Before I go out and get the transmission and related parts, I wanted to see if what I want to do is possible. I don't think anyone has put the 8 speed behind an LA yet, then there is getting it in the car without cutting. So I am trying to do 2 things that hasn't been done yet, that I know of.

There is a thread going on over on forabodiesonly about getting the trans to work behind the LA and I've been communicating. There were 2 people who were going to try it but went on to other projects. As the A bodies are a lot smaller, I was hoping some members on here had info in regards to componentry for e bodies. There is a guy in Texas that has one in his Chevelle and he loves it (also commented in the thread) so it shouldn't be too much of an issue getting it to work behind an LA, since the gen3 is a smallblock. I think the hard parts have been solved already (controller and driveshaft) so what is left is fitment and function.

Re: How much clearance in ebody with LA, around stock components [Re: roadrunninMark] #2831505
10/11/20 12:34 PM
10/11/20 12:34 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
The A518 was a Truck/Van Transmission so they never cared about ground clearance. I would think the 8 Speed, being used as passenger car transmission, should be designed for low ground clearance, so odds are on your side.

Please keep us updated. I would be interested in your progress.

up

Page 2 of 2 1 2