W
Wirenut Offline OP
mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
Originally Posted by dvw
Watching the new video. In my opinion it separates way more than is needs to. It's defiantly out of rebound travel and topped out. Compare the latest video to your earlier post with the rear axle hanging. Are the new shocks shorter at full extension than the old shocks? Separation is dictated by front pivot location. In your case the front spring eye. Without lowering or lengthening that point you can not reduce separation. Lowering the car will lower this point to the ground. But this is not a total cure as the center of gravity is now lower as well. The front eye mount needs to come down, NOT UP. Your only other alternative is to tighten the rebound slowing the separation. At this point air pressure and shock adjustments are a crutch to try and correct a instant center location that is to high and shocks topped out in rebound.
Doug

When you say separating more than it needs to ? Do you mean how far the body is moving away from the wheels ?

The shocks are longer than the old shocks , both front and rear.

Rear axel hanging The shocks are about 1.5 “ longer.

When you say front eye mount needs to come down. You mean move it to one of the holes closer to the ground, further from the body?
Right now it is in the highest hole closest to the body.
If I move it farther from the body it will raise the rear of the car more . Correct?

Also that vid is maxed out on rear rebound and compression adjustment

Front is maxed out rebound adjustment and about half way on compression

Thanks for the opinion

Last edited by Wirenut; 09/19/20 07:32 AM.
Re: Setting up DA shocks [Re: Wirenut] #2822498
09/19/20 08:06 AM
09/19/20 08:06 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Question
#11 Yes, the distance between the tire and body. This separation presses the tire to the track. To much and too quick can overwhelm the tires ability to hook.
#2 Ok
#3 It is possible in some instances with leaf springs to still top out. The rear of the leaf bends, especially unclamped and can actually have greater travel than hanging static.
#4 Dropping the front of the spring will raise the car some. But it will reduce the tendency to separate because the instant center is lower.
#5 Being maxed out on rebound will not allow you to slow the separation any further without revalving. The fact that the compression is full tight may be contributing to the bounce after the initial hit. If its to stiff the tire cant come back into the body, thus it bounces.
#6 Stay here for the time being Get the back taken care of readdress the front after.

I think taking out some separation and loosening the rear compression would be a good 1st step.
Doug

Re: Setting up DA shocks [Re: dvw] #2823230
09/21/20 12:11 PM
09/21/20 12:11 PM
Ct
W
Wirenut Offline OP
mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
Originally Posted by dvw
Question
#11 Yes, the distance between the tire and body. This separation presses the tire to the track. To much and too quick can overwhelm the tires ability to hook.
#2 Ok
#3 It is possible in some instances with leaf springs to still top out. The rear of the leaf bends, especially unclamped and can actually have greater travel than hanging static.
#4 Dropping the front of the spring will raise the car some. But it will reduce the tendency to separate because the instant center is lower.
#5 Being maxed out on rebound will not allow you to slow the separation any further without revalving. The fact that the compression is full tight may be contributing to the bounce after the initial hit. If its to stiff the tire cant come back into the body, thus it bounces.
#6 Stay here for the time being Get the back taken care of readdress the front after.

I think taking out some separation and loosening the rear compression would be a good 1st step.
Doug

Thanks Doug,
So just for the sake of experience and experimentation I am going to revalve the rear shocks firmer , lower the front of the rear spring and see what happens . I should be able to get back to the track one more time this year

Re: Setting up DA shocks [Re: Wirenut] #2823262
09/21/20 12:54 PM
09/21/20 12:54 PM
On the parachute mount
N
n20mstr Offline
master
n20mstr  Offline
master
N

On the parachute mount
IF you want to see what a good launching leaf spring car looks like, i can text you a vid. We were at lebanon with my buddy nova saturday. 1.3X 60 foots. Leaf springs with cal tracs. Rear shocks are almost full tight on ext. He also had springs higher into the body. At Cal Tracs recommendation he lowered the front spring one hole and it works very well.
My Cell number is 914 417 1312. shoot me a text and ill text you back the vid.

....BAD A$$ STREET CAR.....
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4