H
HoosierTA Offline
master
HoosierTA  Offline
master
H

Bloomington, IN
Originally Posted by HotRodDave
We are asking because 20 acres I want to buy is going to cost a pile to run power company power to it, if I can spend $15,000 and have basically no electric bill for 10 years I will be very far ahead.

It's true, we don't have the sunshine of so cal or phoenix but we can run wood heat, propane heat, LED light blobs and such and run a pretty minimal electric bill., probably gonna do all that anyhow so not like they are extra expenses. The land is mostly sunny, the mountains don't effect sunshine much where it is located. Also we already don't run AC in the summer so that's not even a big deal.

look into an outdoor boiler system. It uses very little electricity and you can keep as warm as you please, plus you can heat endless water.

A local guy who runs solar, has found that golf cart batteries work pretty well compared to the purpose made solar battery array. He says buy mid morning he his batteries are good to go for overnight.

'70 Challenger R/T 383
'16 Hemi Durango SSV (work vehicle)
'15 Ram Police SSV
Re: solar power for home [Re: BeEtLeJuIcE !] #2804589
08/03/20 09:51 AM
08/03/20 09:51 AM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Originally Posted by Nobel Crusader
If THIS came with a solar system... I’d consider THAT at my shop ... grin

You would need a solar powered life support system to handle that.

Re: solar power for home [Re: HotRodDave] #2804596
08/03/20 10:11 AM
08/03/20 10:11 AM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Originally Posted by HotRodDave
We are asking because 20 acres I want to buy is going to cost a pile to run power company power to it, if I can spend $15,000 and have basically no electric bill for 10 years I will be very far ahead.

It's true, we don't have the sunshine of so cal or phoenix but we can run wood heat, propane heat, LED light blobs and such and run a pretty minimal electric bill., probably gonna do all that anyhow so not like they are extra expenses. The land is mostly sunny, the mountains don't effect sunshine much where it is located. Also we already don't run AC in the summer so that's not even a big deal.

This is what I would do.

1-Buy a 1,000 gallon propane tank.
2-Generator propane fueled 1,800 RPM 5 to 6 KW. My preference is Onan.
3-Inverter/Charger Xantrex XW6048.
4-Start with one battery bank so 8 batteries 6 volt.
5-Build your own solar panel rack and start with 8 panels 345 watt
6-Solar charge controller
7-Generator start interface
8-Combiner box
9-Wiring and misc.
10- Building to protect equipment. Me I would get a 40 foot shipping container.

Things to always keep in mind. Do not buy cheap or under build. Once up and running you will see what your solar array is doing and you can add to it as needed. That is the main reason to get a larger solar charge controller. Your battery bank you most likely will find that 2 banks of 8 will be optimal. Inverters on 48 volt input use the same energy at idle as a small inverter 25 to 35 watts however they will have a continuous output of 6,000 watts and 12,000 watt surge. Having a system like this will run your house and garage.

Re: solar power for home [Re: Sniper] #2804618
08/03/20 11:09 AM
08/03/20 11:09 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by Sniper
Pretty sure Montana doesn't see the sun like FL or St. Croix does. Not to mention winter differences. Snow on the panels need removed. Long winter nights up north are also an issue.

Good thing you are here, I'm also sure the two I mentioned above will be grateful and enlightened for that geographical detail. eyes

Someone's got to cover for you

Like the two members here I noted from Ft Lauderdale and/or St Croix?

Let me know when you got something beyond obvious to share.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Page 2 of 2 1 2