fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
So leave it there if it ‘helps’ pushing the clutch. The diaphragm clutch stays on the floor because the ‘fingers’ go past center and centrifugal force pulls it in. That’s an adjustment issue, stop travel before it gets to that point. Major problem on Chevys, Been there done that. I want that over spring on there to keep the throw out bearing off the fingers (thats not not the little spring on the bell’s purpose) (keeps pedal from rattling too). If to much travel change the ratio on Z bar, pedal or make a pedal stop. I certainly don’t want the clutch pedal setting below the brake pedal. Seems like you all are looking for a fix for no problem.

Re: Diaphram clutch pedal adjustment [Re: nd65] #2795984
07/12/20 10:10 PM
07/12/20 10:10 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
Originally Posted by nd65
I appreciate the comments. The over center is removed and an adjustable pedal stop in place.

Thanks
nd65

Sounds like you have it just the way it's supposed to be up A pedal stop is always a good thing to have if you plan on banging the gears with gusto. I adjust my clutch so I have about 1" of free-play at the pedal.

Gus beer

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: Diaphram clutch pedal adjustment [Re: cudaman1969] #2796515
07/14/20 01:22 PM
07/14/20 01:22 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
So leave it there if it ‘helps’ pushing the clutch. The diaphragm clutch stays on the floor because the ‘fingers’ go past center and centrifugal force pulls it in. That’s an adjustment issue, stop travel before it gets to that point. Major problem on Chevys, Been there done that. I want that over spring on there to keep the throw out bearing off the fingers (thats not not the little spring on the bell’s purpose) (keeps pedal from rattling too). If to much travel change the ratio on Z bar, pedal or make a pedal stop. I certainly don’t want the clutch pedal setting below the brake pedal. Seems like you all are looking for a fix for no problem.

You should explain that to centerforce then. Or to the guys who put those diaphragm clutches in cars that I fixed by taking the over center spring out.

I want my fair share
Re: Diaphram clutch pedal adjustment [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2796834
07/15/20 09:01 AM
07/15/20 09:01 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy

You should explain that to centerforce then. Or to the guys who put those diaphragm clutches in cars that I fixed by taking the over center spring out.

Seen it all my life, someone says it’s the best thing since sliced bread then all the rest jump on the bandwagon thinking it’s the gospel. In reality it’s a bandaid to make their product look great since the majority cant fix it the right way. But then maybe the centerforce guys are smarter then the Chrysler engineers. So tell me what do you use to keep that throw out bearing off the fingers? Take out a spring, then add another?

Re: Diaphram clutch pedal adjustment [Re: cudaman1969] #2796885
07/15/20 11:28 AM
07/15/20 11:28 AM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.

Re: Diaphram clutch pedal adjustment [Re: cudaman1969] #2797752
07/17/20 09:26 AM
07/17/20 09:26 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy

Seen it all my life, someone says it’s the best thing since sliced bread then all the rest jump on the bandwagon thinking it’s the gospel. In reality it’s a bandaid to make their product look great since the majority cant fix it the right way. But then maybe the centerforce guys are smarter then the Chrysler engineers. So tell me what do you use to keep that throw out bearing off the fingers? Take out a spring, then add another?

There’s still the small spring on the fork. The travel on the pedal is much smoother and doesn’t get sticky with the overcenter spring taken out. You do what works for you, the rest of us will stick with what is recommended and works for us. You should try it and compare. Your stated reasons for keeping it don’t mesh with reality. It won’t rattle and the pedal will sit even, at least on a manual brake car. The over center spring isn’t keeping the TOB off the fingers either. When the pedal returns to the top without one, I’m not sure what you think is different with one.

I want my fair share
Re: Diaphram clutch pedal adjustment [Re: second 70] #2797756
07/17/20 09:30 AM
07/17/20 09:30 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't

Well that’s just wrong. So is Eberg, me and all the rest who take them out. Can’t wait to have pedal problems again so I can say I do it the right way next time. If I’m lucky I can put one back into a car.

I want my fair share
Re: Diaphram clutch pedal adjustment [Re: cudaman1969] #2797819
07/17/20 11:03 AM
07/17/20 11:03 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
So tell me what do you use to keep that throw out bearing off the fingers?

You tell use because it sure ain't the over center spring.

Right out of the 70 FSM.

Capture.JPG
Re: Diaphram clutch pedal adjustment [Re: Sniper] #2798143
07/18/20 12:02 AM
07/18/20 12:02 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted by Sniper

Right out of the 70 FSM.

Look again where the spring is attached on both ends. Clutch fork and lower arm of the z bar. It keeps the rod from falling out (been there) and it has nothing to do with keeping the bearing off the clutch fingers. The over center spring does that, like I said the clutch guys say take it out to idiot proof their clutch. Adjust the ratio for less travel and install a stop

Re: Diaphram clutch pedal adjustment [Re: cudaman1969] #2798151
07/18/20 12:20 AM
07/18/20 12:20 AM
Salem
Grizzly Online tonguue
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Online Tonguue
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
Hydraulic clutch out of a Ram/Dakota anyone? grin

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Diaphram clutch pedal adjustment [Re: cudaman1969] #2798215
07/18/20 10:03 AM
07/18/20 10:03 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Sniper

Right out of the 70 FSM.

Look again where the spring is attached on both ends. Clutch fork and lower arm of the z bar. It keeps the rod from falling out (been there) and it has nothing to do with keeping the bearing off the clutch fingers. The over center spring does that, like I said the clutch guys say take it out to idiot proof their clutch. Adjust the ratio for less travel and install a stop

Guess you missed that spring was 6 cyl models only, on V8's the fork return spring is hooked to the bellhousing. the overcenter spring does not keep the throwout bearing off the clutch fingers. The fork return spring does and without that fork return spring the linkage would pull right out of the fork because there is nothing else holding it together when the clutch is released. Here's a pic out of the 73 FSM showing the fork return spring setup.

Capture.JPG
Last edited by Sniper; 07/18/20 10:07 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2