Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2769603
04/29/20 06:34 PM
04/29/20 06:34 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
You are not in touch with most of the country,

Yep, Id agree with that a bit.

Luckly, I can pull antenna tv from 165 miles away on a 35 foot tower, im right on the internet 2 route and pull from fiber optics so ive great internet, some are still on dial up copper.

My new cell works inside but no data for miles.

Jones, do you think you and your lady can be happy full time there in WV, I think you will grow to love it, but good internet and cell would make it a bit better id think. My internet is costly, but fast and has never ever went down, if I had crap internet id not be so happy.

We absolutely love it here but I will be the first to admit that it isn't for everybody. In fact probably not for most. Many have been griping about being isolated now but it's a way of life here. Now in all fairness all of the 15 acres are not useable land. About 5 acres are cleared in the holler but some of that is taken up by the two streams running through it. The other 10 are mountain. It's gorgeous scenery, just not real useful except for hunting.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2769606
04/29/20 06:49 PM
04/29/20 06:49 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
I work in a packing plant. We process 13-1500 sows a day. We are running balls out. We are going to start running butcher hogs on Saturdays because one of other plants can't get hogs.

I can't help but think retailers might be creating some of the shortages themselves. I was in Walmart the other day (our biggest customer) and there were none of our products in the cooler. That's really weird since they are getting every bit of the product they order. It was also odd since the previous three times the cooler was full, but beef was empty. It was reversed the other day.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: slantzilla] #2769619
04/29/20 07:19 PM
04/29/20 07:19 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
Just think if the nightly news said there was gonna be a shortage of hand soap or beer or even socks, you know there would be a run on any and all mentioned.

I think its all just getting really stupid.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2769731
04/30/20 09:10 AM
04/30/20 09:10 AM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
The one thing I need to read up on is making BEER.. if I could make that then we wouldnt
have to go to the store for much.. the wife has a friend that does pretty good at it so I might
have to contact him
wave

It's not hard at all. About $150 in equipment and a source for extract kits and you're in. Some guys do it from all grains but I haven't got that far yet. Lots of sources for extract kits so that's how I do it. Just cracked open a bottle of Golden Ale last night from my most recent batch. Finishing up a Saison batch and a couple bottles of Session IPA still to go. Next up...an American Pale Ale. Then the wife wants me to do a batch of seltzer(White Claw)

Edit: Here's a starter kit.....add a LP burner and you're brewing...or some guys use the stove. You'll need some bottles https://www.northernbrewer.com/coll...ts/brew-share-enjoy-homebrew-starter-kit

Last edited by Dcuda69; 04/30/20 09:16 AM.
Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2769739
04/30/20 09:27 AM
04/30/20 09:27 AM
Addison Twp, Mi.
RobG Offline
top fuel
RobG  Offline
top fuel

Addison Twp, Mi.
[quote=Mr. Potatohead]
I know a couple that go one time a year to I think just outside of St Louis and get 15-20 gallons of moonshine, they pay a good bit if I recall.

There is no need to go down south. There are some nice folks in the Leonard area that make some good apple-jack shine! I would live to build a still and dabble in this!

I am not rich...but I get off my ass everyday to make sure I am not broke!

Can we get the Mexican cartels to help us with our supply chain issues? They don't seem to have any trouble getting stuff from one place to another.
Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: RobG] #2769750
04/30/20 09:55 AM
04/30/20 09:55 AM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
There are some nice folks in the Leonard area that make some good apple-jack shine!

Cough, cough, thats really more of the area I was talking about just didnt want to post it.

quote=RobG]
Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead

I know a couple that go one time a year to I think just outside of St Louis and get 15-20 gallons of moonshine, they pay a good bit if I recall.

There is no need to go down south. There are some nice folks in the Leonard area that make some good apple-jack shine! I would live to build a still and dabble in this!

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2769848
04/30/20 02:53 PM
04/30/20 02:53 PM
Auburn WA
Dave_J Offline
master
Dave_J  Offline
master

Auburn WA
All 'Shine' starts as BEER. wink Once you have the brewed beer, minus hops, you just strain off the liquid from the wort, run the beer thru the still a few times and discard the used wort. Used wort is good feed filler for cattle or goats.

Any thing can be brewed into raw beer. The more raw sugar in the plant the better. Blackberry vines, potatoes, corn, sugar cane.....

I know a guy that has a Whisky distellry. He is buying beer from our local distributors that is pulled off the store shelf's due to age or not selling. He runs it thru his still 4 times and all the hop flavor is gone. He is buying CASES of Corona Especial real CHEAP. This Corona is still good beer but he can not resell it, nor can he give it away. It must be dumped into his wort vat.

Retired, US ARMY 1973-1994
ASE mechanic, Electrical 1994-1997
Retired GTE/VERIZON/FRONTIER 1997-2015

Posting cheap tech help (CRAP) here since Nov 97, 1000's of posts, some may be good.

03 Suzuki Burgman 650(Burger King) Scooter
65 Formula S Cuda
78 Little Red Express Truck
98 Buick Regal (wifes car)
Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: Dave_J] #2769853
04/30/20 03:21 PM
04/30/20 03:21 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted by Dave_J
All 'Shine' starts as BEER. wink Once you have the brewed beer, minus hops, you just strain off the liquid from the wort, run the beer thru the still a few times and discard the used wort. Used wort is good feed filler for cattle or goats.

Any thing can be brewed into raw beer. The more raw sugar in the plant the better. Blackberry vines, potatoes, corn, sugar cane.....

I know a guy that has a Whisky distellry. He is buying beer from our local distributors that is pulled off the store shelf's due to age or not selling. He runs it thru his still 4 times and all the hop flavor is gone. He is buying CASES of Corona Especial real CHEAP. This Corona is still good beer but he can not resell it, nor can he give it away. It must be dumped into his wort vat.

You are using the term “Beer” extremely loosely. Moonshine can be made from anything from pure sugar to fruits, and, corn, and many other grains than barley.

Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2769921
04/30/20 06:56 PM
04/30/20 06:56 PM
Auburn WA
Dave_J Offline
master
Dave_J  Offline
master

Auburn WA
Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda

You are using the term “Beer” extremely loosely. Moonshine can be made from anything from pure sugar to fruits, and, corn, and many other grains than barley.

Yes, loosely used term of making the pre fermented product. I kind of skipped a lot. Yes BEER is a un distilled wort. Wort can be made from many different starchy/sugary stuff.
To make basic shine you can use a liquid like sugar or molasses. But most will make a mash of different items of grains. The mash is most times cooked down to a syrupy liquid. The liquid is strained off. The mash is most times dumped or fed to livestock. Sometimes some mash is saved to start a Sour Mash. What comes out as liquid is a slurry of unfiltered wort. So you filter the wort and add any sugary to boost the fermenting. Each wort has a different flavor depending on what its brewed with and added. Like juniper berry's to flavor gin

Distilled RICE wort, Soju is one that will kick your butt. But some Korean makers used to add just a bit more formaldehyde as a preservative. Slight amounts of formaldehyde will show up in brewing but not enough to cause much problem. But O-B beer and Osker beer in Korea were known to have higher than natural amounts.

I like rice with my Teriyaki, but rice does not belong in Beer.

This is a Mopar site so a moonshine class its not. wink

Posting cheap tech help (CRAP) here since Nov 97, 1000's of posts, some may be good.

65 Formula S Cuda
Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: Dave_J] #2769924
04/30/20 07:03 PM
04/30/20 07:03 PM
Virginia
BSharp Offline
master
BSharp  Offline
master

Virginia
"Modern Marvels" has two great episodes on breweries and distilleries.

Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: BSharp] #2770700
05/03/20 10:17 AM
05/03/20 10:17 AM
Iowa
C
coronetville Offline
mopar
coronetville  Offline
mopar
C

Iowa
mexicans do what usa youth wont do, desides usa dont wont lazy usa workers and want cheap workers. I am not a mexican just a usa worker that worked hard [thing of the past\]

Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: coronetville] #2770855
05/03/20 05:33 PM
05/03/20 05:33 PM
Auburn WA
Dave_J Offline
master
Dave_J  Offline
master

Auburn WA
In USA's winter time we buy fruit and viggies from Chile. During our growing season up here in USA we sell fruit and Veggies back to Chile during their winter time.

Yes in USA the average person will not accept working the long hard hours that a Migrant worker will. The large Corp farming groups exploit the migrant workers, paying them below minimum wage and then charging them rent and other things. What money the migrant workers can save they send most of it back home to feed their families there.

So to get this all back to USA workers doing the work in USA, the pay would need to triple and health beni's paid, so the costs at the store would need to quadruple..... No win.

65 Formula S Cuda
Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: Stroker] #2771478
05/05/20 03:58 PM
05/05/20 03:58 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
Maybe I'm a skeptic but I see these plants like Tyson using this as a way to make more money.

Step 1 - Tell everyone that the meat supplies are going to dry up and create a panic buy like the great toilet paper rush of 2020.
Step 2 - Close a few plant and tell farmers they can't buy their products because of low production. This creates price drop from the surplus animals.
Step 3 - Step back and enjoy the money from higher prices, lower labor, and lower supply costs.

I won't be buying Tyson again.

Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: Dave_J] #2771484
05/05/20 04:10 PM
05/05/20 04:10 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
In USA's winter time we buy fruit and viggies from Chile. During our growing season up here in USA we sell fruit and Veggies back to Chile during their winter time.

Yes in USA the average person will not accept working the long hard hours that a Migrant worker will. The large Corp farming groups exploit the migrant workers, paying them below minimum wage and then charging them rent and other things. What money the migrant workers can save they send most of it back home to feed their families there.

So to get this all back to USA workers doing the work in USA, the pay would need to triple and health beni's paid, so the costs at the store would need to quadruple..... No win.

Another option: automate everything. I just sent a custom circuit board off to a client that's developing a system to photograph and determine if certain fruit is ready to be picked, then have a robot reach out and gently pick it.

These systems can work pretty much whenever, and while they need high wage people to design them, they don't need hardly anyone to run them. And they don't get sick like humans, or poo in the fields causing other outbreaks, or need health insurance.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: IMGTX] #2771486
05/05/20 04:12 PM
05/05/20 04:12 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Originally Posted by IMGTX
Maybe I'm a skeptic but I see these plants like Tyson using this as a way to make more money.

Step 1 - Tell everyone that the meat supplies are going to dry up and create a panic buy like the great toilet paper rush of 2020.
Step 2 - Close a few plant and tell farmers they can't buy their products because of low production. This creates price drop from the surplus animals.
Step 3 - Step back and enjoy the money from higher prices, lower labor, and lower supply costs.

I won't be buying Tyson again.

What's that phrase that gets tossed around? "Never let a good crisis go to waste."

The meat packing plants definitely have a problem with the virus going around, so it probably is a good thing to close them for a while. That doesn't mean that Tyson won't take advantage of it in the meantime, I just don't think it's the primary reason they're closing plants. But I could be wrong laugh

Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2771511
05/05/20 05:08 PM
05/05/20 05:08 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted by hooziewhatsit

Another option: automate everything. I just sent a custom circuit board off to a client that's developing a system to photograph and determine if certain fruit is ready to be picked, then have a robot reach out and gently pick it.

These systems can work pretty much whenever, and while they need high wage people to design them, they don't need hardly anyone to run them. And they don't get sick like humans, or poo in the fields causing other outbreaks, or need health insurance.

You build PCB’s in the USA? That’s rare, I worked for a prototype shop from 88 to 99. Most of that industry went to Singapore in the 90’s.

Re: I have to share this-words from a cattle farmer [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2771525
05/05/20 05:41 PM
05/05/20 05:41 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
You build PCB’s in the USA? That’s rare, I worked for a prototype shop from 88 to 99. Most of that industry went to Singapore in the 90’s.

Yes, but it's all low volume stuff, like the Fan Controller laugh2 The bare PCBs are made in the US, and I found a smaller assembly house in the US that is remarkably inexpensive and does good work. boogie

The board in question was a single prototype I hand assembled and tested (and wrote the software for). Hopefully they'll need more biggrin

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3