05/10/07 04:12 AM
05/10/07 04:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I found this through mustangforums.com where some people had some good results with this method. This has been such an interesting read, and I want to thank everyone for their contributions. I was going to get my car painted at Earl's or Maaco, but while searching for feedback on their services, I found this page. I've spent the past week reading and decided to finally start last Saturday with my 2001 v6 Mustang. I bought it a month ago for a great price, mostly due to the fact that it had been repainted, and very poorly at that. It had tons of orange peel, a ton of scratches and chips, almost no shine at all, and even had paint drip marks all over.

I chose to use Brightside paint, and went with the medium blue. Didn't know how it would turn out on a modern car, but I'm happy with it although it stands out quite a bit and some people have had negative opinions on it. I knew that if the paint job turned out bad, drawing attention to it with this color would just make things worse, but I gave it a shot. It is on the third coat, and I plan on wetsanding again, laying on a fourth coat, wetsanding, and then polishing.

I spent about $100 on supplies, and worked about 20 hours so far in my campus parking lot. I'm lucky it hasn't been too windy or wet lately. I actually have to drive this baby 400 miles on Friday, so I won't work on it any more until Saturday at the earliest. I'll update when I finish it up. It still has some way to go in the little details, and I really want to try to get a great shine out of it.

The paint it came with.

After sanding down and filling up a dent.

The first coat of paint.

Waited 24 hours for the second coat of paint.

Waited 24 hours, then wetsanded with 600grit, and washed down.

Waited about 5 hours, layed down the third coat.

Last edited by wraaaa; 05/10/07 04:20 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27619
05/10/07 10:12 AM
05/10/07 10:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

oh man, Im having a slight problem. When I was prepping for paint I went over my hood with 400 to prep it for paint and I did that over bare metal. I was just out side wetsanding it with 600 and where the bare metal was the paint was coming off... What should I do now?

What I'm thinking will suck but I think I need to go crazy and remove all my paint and get everything level again and scuff up the bare metal with like 120.

TehMike, what kind of vehicle are you painting? there was a mention on here earlier about the 80's Chevys(and others) that had Galvanized metal. You may have to apply some rustoleum Galvanized metal primer over the bare metal areas to get the paint to adhere properly. Just my though. Good luck.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27620
05/10/07 11:32 AM
05/10/07 11:32 AM
Laurens, SC
R
Radio Joe Offline
Radio Joe  Offline
R

Laurens, SC
tehMike- I had the same problem on one spot of my hood on the corvair. Turned out to be contamination before I painted. Let the paint harden longer- in direct sunlight if you can and then wetsand the area with 600 grit. When you sand, you will probably get little paint flakes coming off in that area- keep sanding until no more flakes come off and it is sanding normal. Then wipe it down with mineral spirits a couple times. The paint over it. as long as all the contamination is gone, it will stick. If the paint continues to peel, you may need to sand down and redo the whole panel.

Good Luck

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Radio Joe] #27621
05/10/07 04:33 PM
05/10/07 04:33 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
To all we are thinking of locking this thread again and keeping it in the tech archives.
I will start another which based on the size of this would probably be a great idea.
I don't want the discussion here to much in the thread but feel free to PM me with comments.
Thanks Tom

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69DartGT] #27622
05/13/07 12:08 AM
05/13/07 12:08 AM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.

Page 159 of 159 1 2 157 158 159