02/05/20 04:32 PM
02/05/20 04:32 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
50 years ago I worked in Manhattan's garment center (yes, that was me pushing a rack of dresses up 6th Avenue).
My job was to bring feather boas (think Carol Channing, Cher) to full fluffy-ness. This involves live steam, and twisting them on a lathe-like machine.

Then we all noticed that even after a week off, if you sneezed feathers still came out of your nose...
Eeeewwwww!

Boffin Emeritus
Re: Cleaning new Molnar rods results [Re: Johnsnow Kornar] #2740075
02/05/20 06:30 PM
02/05/20 06:30 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline OP
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline OP
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
My post doesn't mention upholstery cleaners shruggy scope

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Cleaning new Molnar rods results [Re: polyspheric] #2740240
02/06/20 09:45 AM
02/06/20 09:45 AM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Originally Posted by polyspheric
Thanks.

This wound up a multi-million dollar medical malpractice lawsuit years ago. The manufacturer of some artificial joints (hip, femur ball) used chemical wash to sterilize them, and they were inserted in the patient without secondary inspection (supplied in sealed, single use packaging). Yes, the cleaning fluid was still there, and infected the wound - the whole thing had to be done over again, in some cases the patients suffered permanent disability.

I shiver every time I see someone handle freshly machined & cleaned engine parts with bare hands. This was known to be a problem 80 years ago: some corrosion developed in critical weapon manufacture (WWII), and it was traced to... assembly line workers with red hair. Their skin oil (transferred through their fingerprints) was highly acidic compared to other workers. Re-purposed them to another line: problem solved.

No such thing as too clean.

Interesting, I have red hair and stuff I touch turns to rust incredibly easy. I finally realized it has to do with my skin, but didn't realize it was common to red hair.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: Cleaning new Molnar rods results [Re: GTX MATT] #2740259
02/06/20 10:44 AM
02/06/20 10:44 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
Originally Posted by GTX MATT
Originally Posted by polyspheric
Thanks.

This wound up a multi-million dollar medical malpractice lawsuit years ago. The manufacturer of some artificial joints (hip, femur ball) used chemical wash to sterilize them, and they were inserted in the patient without secondary inspection (supplied in sealed, single use packaging). Yes, the cleaning fluid was still there, and infected the wound - the whole thing had to be done over again, in some cases the patients suffered permanent disability.

I shiver every time I see someone handle freshly machined & cleaned engine parts with bare hands. This was known to be a problem 80 years ago: some corrosion developed in critical weapon manufacture (WWII), and it was traced to... assembly line workers with red hair. Their skin oil (transferred through their fingerprints) was highly acidic compared to other workers. Re-purposed them to another line: problem solved.

No such thing as too clean.

Interesting, I have red hair and stuff I touch turns to rust incredibly easy. I finally realized it has to do with my skin, but didn't realize it was common to red hair.

Hmm. I have no hair so I must be safe to touch metals then. 😁

Last edited by fastmark; 02/06/20 10:45 AM.
Re: Cleaning new Molnar rods results [Re: fastmark] #2740637
02/07/20 12:01 PM
02/07/20 12:01 PM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
I Live Here
gregsdart  Offline
I Live Here

Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
I worked in a newspaper pressroom for 38 years. I cleaned ink fountains that held ten gallons to fifty gallons, up to my elbows in benzine for years. Some of that ink had lead based white in it. A few times we had to clean up to use straight white(yup!) ink for an ad, and that included huge pressrollers, the fountains, everything. One web splicing system used carbon tetrachloride as an activating agent and would spray it on you if you weren't careful. But you got to breath it if you worked on that reel. We didn't get gloves to wear till I had been there fifteen years. They told us non of this stuff was hazardous. When they closed that pressroom down they put a hazardous waste sign on the doors and locked the place up. Then they dug down 20 feet below the press footings to clean up hazardous waste, Between that and agent orange from Vietnam I feel blessed to still be breathing!

Last edited by gregsdart; 02/07/20 12:03 PM.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Page 2 of 2 1 2