01/29/20 03:03 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
I'm always leery of Social Engineering.
I've seen where designating a special lane - HOV - backed up traffic in the other lanes, because it's simply not as convenient to car-pool.
Local city bureaucrats here have narrowed a couple streets and put goofy "bulb-outs" at many intersection corners, to "beautify" the town and "make it more appealing for walking".
Didn't do a thing for increasing walking, but it's doubled the drive time & back-up in town.
The people who don't know how to merge, who nail the brakes or rubber-neck for seemingly anything, etc are an issue.
Driving isn't taken as seriously in the US as it is in some other places (Germany, for example).
Nor are the roads and their maintenance: every day, I see something that's a set-up for a wreck or vehicle damage.

Re: Traffic Jam research, your thoughts... [Re: jcc] #2737855
01/29/20 08:26 PM
01/29/20 08:26 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by jcc

"Here's one, if you are governed to 65 mph and the speed limit is 80 stay out of the left lane, loss of license for breaking that one"

This thought will not work IMO, somebody driving 65 when under the speed limit should be allowed to pass another slower car without fear of losing their license,

Its called compromise. If somebody must not be slowed by anyone else driving, they should take a helicopter. work

Not when you are a so called professional driver playing the rolling roadblock game. You need to no longer need to have the capacity to earn a living driving when you do this.

Re: Traffic Jam research, your thoughts... [Re: topside] #2738033
01/30/20 11:12 AM
01/30/20 11:12 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by topside
The people who don't know how to merge, who nail the brakes or rubber-neck for seemingly anything, etc are an issue.
Driving isn't taken as seriously in the US as it is in some other places (Germany, for example).
Nor are the roads and their maintenance: every day, I see something that's a set-up for a wreck or vehicle damage.

good points ! ^^^^^^^^^^^ iagree
beer

Re: Traffic Jam research, your thoughts... [Re: moparx] #2738040
01/30/20 11:39 AM
01/30/20 11:39 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
I have a merge situation that occurs that is frustrating, it seems for everyone.

My thinking:

1. Nobody should expect others to EVER exceed the speed limit, no matter what the flow of traffic is.
2. EVERYBODY should drive at a speed they feel is safe for their abilities, their vehicle, their load, their trailer, and the conditions.
3. If that speed above can not meet legal minimums, or the flow of at least pick a number 5%? of the traffic, they should consider exiting the interstate, or if on a two lane, pull over and let backed up traffic to safely pass.
4. When entering an interstate, one should increase speed to closely match the flow of traffic, at or below the speed limit, faster only at your own legal risk.
5. When you are on the Interstate with approaching merging traffic, moving over one lane, if safely possible, is courteous, thoughtful, and safer for all, but not legally required, I believe.
6. This is where the problem arises, when I'm driving at the speed I feel comfortable with, based on 1,2,&3 above, I often move over for oncoming merging traffic. However sometimes that merging traffic is multiple cars, and closely spaced (tailgaters). So I am then in the left or center lane, being courteous, and safe and driving at my comfortable speed, and the merging traffic on my right is now speeding up, and there are no breaks in the traffic for me to safely merge back right, without others thinking I'm cutting them off. The cars starting to stack up behind seem to think I'm a left lane road hog. Nothing could further from the truth. The truth seems to be they were not paying enough attention to see why I moved over in the first place. The matter further deteriorates when the following drivers decide impatiently that I have no intention to move back to the right, they start to pass ,and others just start also passing on the right, and that just aggravates finding any opening for me to get back over.

Damned if do, Damned if you don't.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Traffic Jam research, your thoughts... [Re: jcc] #2738070
01/30/20 12:48 PM
01/30/20 12:48 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
People should drive so as to not impede others, that's more courteous than driving at a speed YOU want that impedes others.
That encompasses a lot of behaviors.
The point is that nobody should need to maneuver around you.
Similarly, I believe in merging at a speed a bit above the traffic, which allows the option of slowing to fit in, or finding a gap to fit into.
That also sends the message that you're not going to impede flow.

I prefer the style of left-most lane for speed, right lane for access/egress.
Long ago I developed a habit of quick analysis of who's around & ahead of me to avoid possible issues.
On interstates or freeways, I generally place my vehicle so I'm not at the mercy of others.
Generally my goal is to be in the biggest gap.
That works: I've avoided wrecks around & ahead of me and all manner of foolishness.
You can do all that and travel courteously at a pretty good clip if you're paying attention.

Re: Traffic Jam research, your thoughts... [Re: topside] #2738262
01/30/20 10:15 PM
01/30/20 10:15 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by topside
People should drive so as to not impede others, that's more courteous than driving at a speed YOU want that impedes others.

Then what is more important, being courteous and driving at what one feels is an unsafe speed, or driving at a safe speed for your vehicle, your ability, your load that impedes other speeding drivers?

Keep in mind we are not addressing driving in any lane when not passing, other then the right lane.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Traffic Jam research, your thoughts... [Re: jcc] #2738298
01/31/20 12:35 AM
01/31/20 12:35 AM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Not sure where you're going with that, but:
I've very rarely driven at an unsafe speed for conditions, roadway & equipment.
Ditto holding others up for any length of time, say like when towing and having the situation of multiple speeds (big rigs, etc) in multiple lanes.
Sometimes in that situation you just have to fit in and deal with the big picture. It's considerate.

I don't always set my upper limit by the posted speed signs if I'm in the middle of nowhere and conditions allow.
There are many stretches of highway where in the right car & conditions, one can travel quite quickly & safely.
Obviously, race & HPDE experience elevates skill and comfort levels. I urge everyone I know with kids to take them to a HP driving school.
A capable, well-maintained vehicle, and being attentive, are something I consider pretty basic requirements for any driving, any speed.
I do not believe that everyone gifted with a driver's license should be on the road, nor junk vehicles, nor those terrified of speed or surrounding conditions.
Like everything else, some people just aren't good at it.
That's why I referenced Germany, which has traditionally had a very low fatality rate compared to ours, while being able to travel freely at high speeds on excellent roads in fit vehicles.

Page 2 of 2 1 2