11/23/19 01:05 AM
11/23/19 01:05 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
ECI is another brake kit vendor. They used to go to Carlisle but I haven't seen them there in years. Ralph is the guy's name IIRC. I spoke to him there one year and and was impressed with his engineering of the kits and the reasons he chose the components he uses.

He lists a kit for a 52 Dodge pickup, whether the spindles are the same as yours or not, I don't know but he could tell you if they would work or not. He used to offer a kit IIRC for A100 and I think D100 Sweptlines too but I don't see them in the catalog.

He sells a pretty spiffy looking tube bender too.

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/index.html

Kevin

Re: 1956 Pickup [Re: Twostick] #2719028
11/24/19 10:28 PM
11/24/19 10:28 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by Twostick
Originally Posted by poorboy
Actually, the bottom anchors are also cam offset and will move the bottom of the shoes in or out as well. These brakes are a pita to get properly set, they work great once set, but if they are incorrect, the brakes pretty well suck.

I have a 54 Dodge truck service manual here.
The bolts on the bottom are called the anchor bolts, both are suppose to have either an arrow or a punch mark that identifies the inside position of the anchor bolt.
The adjusting cams under the shoes are referred to as the cam.
the text also refers to the "toe of the shoe" and the "heal of the shoe". The bottom of the brake lining on each shoe on both sides are referred to as the "heal" and the top of the lining on both shoes are referred to as the "toe". Each shoe has a toe at the top, and a heal at the bottom.
From the 54 Service manual:
Major brake adjustment
Be sure the master cylinder is full (paraphrase)

Position the anchor bolts and remove the tire assembly. Remove the inspection cover. Loosen lock nuts and turn brake shoe anchor bolts to fully released position, with the flats of the anchor bolts horizontal and the punch marks on the threaded ends of any pair of anchor bolts together and in line.

(1) Adjust the anchor bolt and cam on one of the shoes to give equal clearance at the toe and the heal. Make sure that sufficent center contact is maintained to produce a slight drag.

(2) After adjusting the clearance on one shoe, repeat the procedure on the other shoe.

(3) After the toe and heal clearance on both shoes have been equalized, install the tire and wheel assembly. Then, using the top adjusting cam, bring the shoe out until a moderate drag is obtained.

(4) Perform this procedure at all four wheels.

The book also goes into detail to be sure the brake shoes are aligned (square with the drum).

It also discusses brake pedal travel. There are 2 long paragraphs about free travel, and travel of the piston required to cover the relief port. Then it covers the travel of the brake shoes to contact the drums, I'll post that last paragraph:

An additional pedal travel of approximately 1 inch is required to move the shoes outward against the drums. The total pedal travel required to set the shoes should be approximately 1 3/4 inches to 2 inches with properly adjusted brakes. A minor brake adjustment (#3 & #4 above) will usually correct excessive pedal travel.

Good luck adjusting your drum brakes. Gene

That procedure should be incentive enough to put disc brakes on it. laugh2

Kevin

Also given the fact these are not self adjusting as the shoe wares off, and you get to adjust the brakes with every oil change should add a bit more incentive to step up to disc brakes, but some people like to keep things all original. Gene

Re: 1956 Pickup [Re: Diego_Ted] #2719063
11/25/19 01:33 AM
11/25/19 01:33 AM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
A
altair18 Offline
altair18  Offline
A

Santa Clara, CA, USA
That looks good though.

Trying out bilstein shock and I'm very pleased how easy and smooth it is to drive my pickup in rocky terrain.
Re: 1956 Pickup [Re: altair18] #2719157
11/25/19 01:17 PM
11/25/19 01:17 PM
Candler,NC / Myrtle Beach, SC
J
JDMopar Offline
master
JDMopar  Offline
master
J

Candler,NC / Myrtle Beach, SC
The 56 Dodge pickup I used to own had later model drum brakes of some sort on it. They were hugemongous finned drums with self adjusters, and were bolted to the factory spindles. It had a later 8 3/4 in it with the same kind of drum brakes on the back. Maybe C body drum brakes? shruggy

Re: 1956 Pickup [Re: JDMopar] #2719729
11/27/19 01:25 PM
11/27/19 01:25 PM
Diego-Town, CA
Diego_Ted Offline OP
master
Diego_Ted  Offline OP
master

Diego-Town, CA
Thanks guys, a lot of food for thought! I will start to do my research and see which will be the best fit for my dads truck.

Diego

Page 2 of 2 1 2