Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 127 of 159 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 158 159
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26978
02/23/07 10:35 AM
02/23/07 10:35 AM
St Andrews ,Manitoba ,Canada
C
C38coupe Offline
C38coupe  Offline
C

St Andrews ,Manitoba ,Canada
Quote:

You know c38coupe, i've been a "out of the box" thinker all my life, and have allways had resistance with my ideas, until they saw my idea work. The "professionals" will tell you that this is the stupidest idea, it won't work, all this while they have no clue what type of paint this really is, and then come up with the argument that the paint will fade and go to chalk. Meanwhile they are comparing it with their expirences, like painting a mail box with the paint, and 2 years later the paint was all faded. But they never consider what would happen if you painted that same mailbox with single stage or BC/CC and let it sit in the elements with no maintanence like waxing and washing, what do you think would happen to that paint????, i give it 6 months!!!!

My advice is not to try and convert them, WE know it works, and that the results speak for them selves. Funny how on some forums if you say how you painted you car it's automatically "crap", but if you just posted a picture of your car first without saying HOW it was painted, they all say, WOW man, AWESOME car; until they know it's done with a roller!!!! then they're like

I hear you, I have a friend in the Milwaukee area, he has painted a couple of antique auto rims and used them in his flower garden, they were painted in 1995, they still look like he just painted them, he washes them once in a while, and they are in the elements year round. A couple of years ago I painted an old rim with Tremclad, didn't even clean them all that well, left the rust on in fact. I forgot about it, it has been outside in the rain, under the snow, and when I wiped it off it was shiny, a tiny bit of rust popped through, where it got nicked. It is tough paint no doubt...The coupe

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: C38coupe] #26979
02/23/07 02:38 PM
02/23/07 02:38 PM
Beaverton, OR
StevesBug Offline
StevesBug  Offline

Beaverton, OR
Here’s a heads up for other noobs to painting.
I’ve been painting my 69 Bug and
have about 8 coats. I’m rolling Rustoleum Pro Regal Red. As I tried to set up for the final coat, I’d be using 1500 paper and still sand through the top coat which left what I’ll call leopard spots.

When the wailing and gnashing was over, I decided to learn something about my new HF rotary polisher since I would need to paint another coat anyway. Well..how happy was I when the leopard spots completely disappeared ! I did an initial run with Turtle Wax polishing paste, and then a run with Meguiars #2 ( Fine Cut Cleaner ) and holy smokes...this thing is awesome!

Bottom line is that now I know that I can sand all the orange peal off and get a finish that will be everything I’d hoped for. Huge thanks to 69chargeryeehaa and all the posters who have helped me understand this process. I’ll try to get some pics up next week.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: StevesBug] #26980
02/23/07 10:51 PM
02/23/07 10:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yah i know... ive been telling everybody that i am using ppg paint and they think its cool how its comming out. but there is no smell
then in the spring ill say its rustolium!!!!!!

i did have a few spots that sanded through the clear and i hope i can buff them out???? i will try this weekend and see what happends...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: StevesBug] #26981
02/24/07 01:30 AM
02/24/07 01:30 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I decided to learn something about my new HF rotary polisher since ...

Which HF polisher are you using? Is it random action? Can you link to it?

Thanks!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26982
02/24/07 12:34 PM
02/24/07 12:34 PM
Beaverton, OR
StevesBug Offline
StevesBug  Offline

Beaverton, OR
Don't know how to link, but it's a 7" variable speed polisher/sander, part 92623. This is a rotary, which is not as forgiving as the orbitals.
When I started looking for a machine, HF had this on sale for $25 and I'd read that some folks were getting good results with it. ( Others were not, so it's up to you ).

I did a lot of web searching and the main issue with rotary is speed of the pad edges. If you use a 7 or 8" pad at high speed, that edge will cut right through all your hard work.

So I got a new backing plate and good 6" pad, and am using that with the least aggressive polish that will do my job. I have an old hood that I've been painting along with the car, and when something needs to be tested, the hood comes first.

The trick to using the rotary is to use the slowest speed that will do the job. When I had the Turtle Wax Polishing paste on there, I ran it over the roof area around the drip rail, thinking that if it were going to do harm, I'd see it there. It just made it very shiny.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: StevesBug] #26983
02/24/07 09:13 PM
02/24/07 09:13 PM
Beaverton, OR
StevesBug Offline
StevesBug  Offline

Beaverton, OR
Here's an update on the leopard spots, with some before and after pics attached. The spots are still there, and will no doubt show in direct sun, but they are still very acceptable for my purposes.

( edit: sorry...I'm a computer putz)

They are pretty clear in the first two pictures where I had sanded with 2000, used the polishing paste, but hadn't yet used the Fine Cut cleaner. The next two are after, and the spots are only apparent in the second shot.

The body is on a dolly, and I'd roll it out of the garage but it's been raining all day.

Has anyone else run into these spots ? Any suggestions ?

Last edited by StevesBug; 02/24/07 10:15 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: StevesBug] #26984
02/24/07 09:44 PM
02/24/07 09:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Only one pic was attached ...

BTW ... I used to have a '67 red vee-dub when I was 16. I used to dream of being able to do a dolly-type restoration on it.

Last edited by MontanaMan; 02/24/07 10:19 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: StevesBug] #26985
02/24/07 10:23 PM
02/24/07 10:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another quick question: I was in walmart and ace hardware last night, and I noticed Ace has 4" white rollers (Ace Brand), and Walmart has 4" yellow rollers (RubberMaid).

Anybody have any experience with these brands? Which is best?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26986
02/25/07 01:28 AM
02/25/07 01:28 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I don't know if anyone has tried one of the yellow ones yet and reported on it. The yellow one, and cheap white ones, are less dense foam than the ones that many here have used. I have not seen a walmart that carries the dense ones that I and others have used with success.

I havent compared the performance of dense vs. non dense, but I imagine the denser one leaves a smoother finish and for that reason would only use the dense one from home depot/lowes.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #26987
02/25/07 02:05 AM
02/25/07 02:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok ... what brand & color were you using?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26988
02/25/07 10:09 AM
02/25/07 10:09 AM
Beaverton, OR
StevesBug Offline
StevesBug  Offline

Beaverton, OR
The brand at our Lowes is "Whizz" roller system, comes in a 5 pack.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: StevesBug] #26989
02/25/07 11:32 PM
02/25/07 11:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Tried enamel hardener on some paint work I was doing today. Not Rustoleum, but another alkyd ename...the results should be the same I would expect. The weather here was a high of about 36* F, so it's not exactly ideal painting conditions. I mixed the hardener about 8-1 with the paint. The can recommends adding the hardener first, then the reducer...but I wasn't thinning it at all so I just added the hardener. The paint seems thinner with it in there. Definetly easier to apply. I used both a foam roller, and a regular bristle brush for areas I couldn't get a roller (I was painting the inside of the trunk of my car). One of the first things I noticed was waaaay more bubbles in the paint when I rolled it compared to using the paint straight out of the can. Brushing it on wasn't much different from the straight paint, but it was a little easier since it seems thinner. It seems to flow out ok...probably no better or worse than plain paint.

But here's the big difference--in this weather (even with a small heater running in there) my drying times have been measured in DAYS. It was taking about two days just to get where it wasn't tacky any more. With the hardener in it, after about 3 hours it was pretty well set up. I'm going to go check it again here in a minute, but the difference in drying time is pretty dramatic. I would think this would be a benefit for anyone working on this... My paint layers are also a *lot* thicker than what you guys are aiming for. I want coverage in one or two coats (it's just the trunk, it doesn't need to be mirror perfect). A thinner coat should dry hard very fast this way.

I'm still going to try this on a spare fender I have and see how it turns out. So far I'm pretty impressed. This might be the answer to getting the paint to harden without waiting 4 months

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26990
02/26/07 01:47 AM
02/26/07 01:47 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just to add insult to injury when it comes to professional painters attitude towards roller painting as a crap finish to doom.

My neighbors brother claims that he's been painting cars for over 20 years now, and he couldn't tell by touch even that the paint on my car had been rolled on.

Granted my car is all white, sitting in a garage, and hasn't yet been wetsanded since the photo I posted, so this 'might' make it somewhat difficult to notice a difference right off.

But even after I showed him the tray, mixing can, the paint I;ve been using, AND the paint roller in the trunk, he still refused to believe that what I had done was a roller job.

So the old saying seems to remain true that you can show someone to a door of truth, but only that person can make the choice to open the door and walk through it.

Professional paint jobs are great, who wouldn't want one if money wasn't the decisive choice on the matter? But if I'm satified with a paint job that I've personally done, on a car that I've wrenching on from the ground up-- I could care less what the professional painters opinions are-- especially if one can't even tell the difference after touching a rolled on paint/base primer job.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26991
02/26/07 09:49 AM
02/26/07 09:49 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So I attempted to roll my test door the other day and I've quickly learned the following things.

1) Surface prep is ridiculously important and my skills need a lot of improving

2) Brightside paint is amazing.

Aside from the sanding scratches and poor prep job, I can see my reflection in the deep dark black brightside. Amazingly a single coat gave me almost 100% coverage. I was so excited that I started preping the rest of the car. Many thanks to this forum and charger

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26992
02/26/07 10:45 AM
02/26/07 10:45 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So, what brand of hardner did you use? And you say it mixed 8 parts paint to 1 part hardner with no thinning?

Is this the hardner that will kill you if you breath it, cause that would be a drawback for me. But otherwise it would be sweet to get more coverage and shorter drying times and a harder finish. Sounds like you could manage 2 applications in a day.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: StevesBug] #26993
02/26/07 02:51 PM
02/26/07 02:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Stevesbug,

Quote:

Has anyone else run into these spots ? Any suggestions ?

Yes, I had the same problem with the black Rustoleum Pro on my test fender, I attributed it to not wetsanding all of the orange peel out of the underlying layers.

I've only done the test panel so far...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26994
02/26/07 07:43 PM
02/26/07 07:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

After you are finished , the car has been fully polished the best it can be....

Does it keep a shine just being left outside ?

or do you need to keep it polished and buffede ,

I am lazy and do not want to do much more them wash it off with a garden hose !

Beaulieu

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26995
02/26/07 11:08 PM
02/26/07 11:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Montana & Exit - See my post on pg 59 concerning the yellow roller covers from Walmart. I was happier with the results from the Shur-Line brand after a trial run.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26996
02/26/07 11:36 PM
02/26/07 11:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Montana & Exit - See my post on pg 59 concerning the yellow roller covers from Walmart. I was happier with the results from the Shur-Line brand after a trial run.

So is that the forum consensus? Black Shurline rollers? Can you get those at HD & Lowes?

Any other brands give good results?

Thanks SoYank!!

Quote:

The brand at our Lowes is "Whizz" roller system, comes in a 5 pack.

Are you talking about the Whizz "Premium Sponge" black rollers in the 5 pack?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by MontanaMan; 02/27/07 12:07 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26997
02/27/07 01:12 AM
02/27/07 01:12 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Never heard of/seen black rollers - I might have missed any mention of it on page 59.

Both Lowes and HD have high density foam rollers, they are the "best" (most expensive) they carry as far as i've seen. It's either the cheap yellow ones or the dense white ones.. not too many options.

Page 127 of 159 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 158 159