Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by IMGTX
Originally Posted by 70HemiGTX
It was mentioned to run a smaller ground wire as a "fuse". Why not just go to NAPA and buy a 100 amp ( I think that is what I have in, but not sure.) fuse and put that in the positive cable right at the battery. Much safer than relying on a homemade "fusible link".

Starters can pull more than 100 amps. It's not about fusing the auxiliary systems it's about protecting the main power wire to the starter. I have had the starter come loose and when I went to start the car that is when all heck broke loose. Factory trunk mounted cars use a similar method or use non burn wiring covers(like a fusible link has) to prevent the car from burning if the main trunk line gets shorted.

Like you pointed out though. Auxiliary systems should always be fused with a fuse or fusible link.

Just put a Ford starter solenoid in the back near the battery. Use it to switch the power to the starter that way the long wire forward to the starter is only hot when you need it hot and dead all the rest of the time. You will need to run a separate, fused at the battery feed for the fuse box.

Re: ground for battery in trunk.. this tab ok? [Re: RapidRobert] #2695417
09/08/19 11:21 AM
09/08/19 11:21 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by RapidRobert
and if you are contemplating new battery cables and even THINKING about those cheep-o bolt on cable ends at the battery,
can you get small gauge (large) molded cable battery terminal ends?

try these. just a couple examples of crimp/solder or furl type. available in almost all gauge sizes. WAY better than those cheep-o "bolt on" pieces of $hit !!
use marine grade heat shrink to complete the job, and no problems of corrosion or a bad connection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pack-of-...inal-Cable-End-2-0-Negative/173891462814

beer

Re: ground for battery in trunk.. this tab ok? [Re: moparx] #2695421
09/08/19 11:27 AM
09/08/19 11:27 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
here is the other style i spoke of.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-Cab...ry-Post-Screw-Together-Pair/392351664826

a guy can also use the crimp/solder "eyelet" type that bolts to the battery ala GM side terminal battery. tons of those ends everywhere in any size.

beer

Re: ground for battery in trunk.. this tab ok? [Re: Sniper] #2695436
09/08/19 12:30 PM
09/08/19 12:30 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
Originally Posted by Sniper

Just put a Ford starter solenoid in the back near the battery. Use it to switch the power to the starter that way the long wire forward to the starter is only hot when you need it hot and dead all the rest of the time. You will need to run a separate, fused at the battery feed for the fuse box.

That is the first step and often required by some racing bodies but once you hit crank it's full power to the starter. In my case the starter had worked loose and the main positive wire was grounded at the starter. Hit the key to crank and poof. Big smoke. No real damage. Had the main line been the same as the ground I would have probably lost the car since the power wire was run inside the car along the rocker the same way the factory does it now.

Back to the original question. Some people have mentioned that they have used that tab. I like a little more metal myself. Like I said I ran my ground to the trunk latch bolt but a direct bolt into the frame (like others suggested) would probably been better than my way. I did my way so that if I moved the battery back to under the hood it would be a simple unbolt, but truthfully so would a bolt to the frame.

Also a switch to a modern starter would reduce the load to the main wire. Modern gear reduction starters use less amps than our old Chrysler gear reduction or the GM/Ford direct drive starter. Just look at the size of the battery cables on modern cars compared to the old ones.

Re: ground for battery in trunk.. this tab ok? [Re: moparx] #2695485
09/08/19 03:07 PM
09/08/19 03:07 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Originally Posted by moparx
here is the other style i spoke of.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-Cab...ry-Post-Screw-Together-Pair/392351664826

a guy can also use the crimp/solder "eyelet" type that bolts to the battery ala GM side terminal battery. tons of those ends everywhere in any size.

beer
Thanks Moparx

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: ground for battery in trunk.. this tab ok? [Re: RapidRobert] #2695533
09/08/19 07:07 PM
09/08/19 07:07 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
I'm contemplating running two batteries, one large in the rear with "Ford" solenoids on BOTH the positive and negative to be used only to start the car. Charge with a thinner gauge wire through a diode to control the current flow. A smaller, lighter battery (like motorcycle or garden tractor) to "run" the car.

Page 2 of 2 1 2