02/05/07 08:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

Here's a guy's website showing him painting with this process from start to finish

I think his results were awsome!!

Sorry if this is a repeat post but I don't think I remember seeing this car in here before.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26859
02/05/07 10:36 PM
02/05/07 10:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Approximately how much paint did you end up using? I am also planning on test painting a few things black. There isn't much of a roof on my car so I'm hoping to get away with 1 quart. It's already black now...

Best price I can find locally is 34.99. I may end up just buying it online as it's significantly cheaper.

The 'hood polishing experiment' was done after three coats of paint. I could do the whole car with about half a litre of paint per coat.

Last edited by Aussie Driver; 02/07/07 04:02 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26860
02/06/07 11:07 AM
02/06/07 11:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey guys... I've seen a lot of the original testers and posters coming back with their results here lately. I got involved with this process last year and painted my buggy. I painted it Safety Red (the color Exit ended up ruling out). It's been about 8 months now and I couldn't be more pleased. Once fully cured, it really is a resilient coating. I took the buggy out "muddin'" and the paint held up really well. Here are some shots (before & after & muddy)...

The hazy look in this pic is really from the dust on the trail...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26861
02/06/07 11:36 AM
02/06/07 11:36 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
jp 16v - i have one emoticon for you: .............

well actually 5!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26862
02/06/07 12:17 PM
02/06/07 12:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Charger... your orange Charger and Beetle were the inspiration for me giving this CRAZY process a whirl. I was too ashamed to tell anyone what I was doing when I was painting it (kept it pretty secret). It's made believers out of many people. I enjoy telling people that I rolled it for around fifty bucks.

I'm helping a buddy paint his buggy yellow now...

BTW, Congrats on your recent acquisition... Porsche is my first love.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26863
02/06/07 01:27 PM
02/06/07 01:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey guys im new here but i have been watching this for a while and this is great.My dads a retired body man and he was shocked to see some of the results you guys were getting from this method ...more than one way to skin a cat i supose. Anyway i have a 69 nova that i intend to paint this way and what i was wondering is will vinyl graphics stick to rustoleum paint ...
isnt oil based?
The reason i ask is im making a yenko clone and well they have vinyl graphics.
On another note Hey Charger you rock your methods rock and your Porsche rocks too
later

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26864
02/06/07 10:02 PM
02/06/07 10:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thanks for the mixing tips marq! now to decide if i want to buy $200 worth of paint to try mixing it up! i had some blue but just used it all up, so thats annoying, and i convinced a mate to paint the frame of his ute tray with black with brightside, which he's very happy with, and he has some of that left over.

is the citroen colour i'm refering to, i really like the light yellows on 70's cars, so hard to decide...

so has anyone else had problems with the top of each coat drying a different colour to the bottom of the same coat? mayb i just need to be more careful when sanding

oh and i'd say that vynil would stick, not sure about how well it would long term though as i havn't tried sorry

Last edited by zedevan; 02/06/07 10:03 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26865
02/07/07 03:04 AM
02/07/07 03:04 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Anyway i have a 69 nova that i intend to paint this way and what i was wondering is will vinyl graphics stick to rustoleum paint ...
isnt oil based?
The reason i ask is im making a yenko clone and well they have vinyl graphics.

I don't think you will have any problems getting the graphics to stick. BUT you will have to apply the decals BEFORE you get too far along with your waxing

On my daughter's bike, I painted her bike frame using the Tremclad method... and then applied 'flame decals' to the bike and they have adhered beautifully.

On the other hand, after polishing and waxing the McLaren I went an applied the side pin stripes and they couldn't get a good adhesion. I ended up having to go and get some isopronol ( pure alcohol ) and wipe down the area where the stripes were to be applied ( in order to remove the wax ). That removed the wax and shine from that area. Then I laid the stripes on. Once they were in place I then rewaxed and polished that area. The pin stripes stuck beautifully. And I was able to bring that area up to the same level of shine as the rest of the panels.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #26866
02/07/07 01:52 PM
02/07/07 01:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yea i thought i would have to put the stipes on before waxing
thanks guys

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #26867
02/07/07 05:00 PM
02/07/07 05:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Has any one tried Toplac by Interlux?

Interlux tech rep said that is formulated more for use on the sides of boats as opposed to the decks. (This, I think, would be a better choice for cars as well, since I haven't walked on mine lately.) It's supposed to have better gloss retention and better flow characteristis.

The color selection is not as good compared to Brightside.

BTW, the tech rep stated again that neither the Brightside or the Toplac was supposed to color sanded and polished...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26868
02/07/07 05:17 PM
02/07/07 05:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

okay, i registered to this messageboard just for this thread, which i found on honda-tech.com.

a very interesting thread, it is. so much so, that i decided to attempt tha method with my own vehicle. (this has been a great informative and interesting thread, btw.)

i will first be doing just my orginal bumper covers (plastic). i have some non-painted aftermarket (OEM) bumpers on tha vehicle right now.

i will be getting some dents on my rear quarter panels and my roof fixed by some paintless dent repairman. i'll be using filler on my doors, since i can always easily replace them. i'll be buying another pair of dentless fenders, to paint.

so, for now.. just tha bumper covers. i sanded them down with 80 grit sandpaper. then i wetsanded them down with 200 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

i'm hoping the bondo brand (w/polyester) filler will work to smooth tha imperfections on tha bumper covers.

okay, my question is with primer. what can i use? i'm going with marine paint, btw. and i really want to primer everything, first. tha color i want to paint my car is a very dark green. Interlux's Brightside has this Sea Green that's too green for me. Blue Water's Marine Paint has this Dark Green that was just what i wanted. so, i went with a quart of it. Marine Paint seemed to be an equivalent to Brightside, minus tha Teflon. see here: http://nationalpaintsupply.net/blwapoto.html

Blue Water carries a primer that is well out of range in regards to a $50 paint job. It was probably like around $70. Interlux carries a quart for $27.00. see here: http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/INT/INT4280Q.html

if Marine Paint is indeed an equivalent to Brightside, could i possibly use Interlux's primer with Blue Water's Marine Paint (topside paint)?

i appreciate all positive feedback.

_taF

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26869
02/07/07 11:30 PM
02/07/07 11:30 PM
St Andrews ,Manitoba ,Canada
C
C38coupe Offline
C38coupe  Offline
C

St Andrews ,Manitoba ,Canada
Home Hardware Rust Coat Paint, this is in Canada. This paint is a Urethane enhanced alkyd enamel. Is meant to paint directly over metal, has a super corrosion resistant finish.
The gloss is 85+ at 60 degree. I have used this paint, it's great but i forgot about it, this is another product to be thinned and rolled like Tremclad/rustleum. It thins with mineral spirits, is actually cheaper than Tremclad.
Have any of you Canadians tried it before..................C38coupe

Last edited by C38coupe; 02/07/07 11:37 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26870
02/08/07 03:21 AM
02/08/07 03:21 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

if Marine Paint is indeed an equivalent to Brightside, could i possibly use Interlux's primer with Blue Water's Marine Paint (topside paint)?

_taF

I don't think there will be any compatibility problems putting the one brand of paint over the Brightside primer.

The only thing that I do not know for sure is if you will be able to do that trick with the Brightside primer where you can add up to 20% Brightside paint to give the primer a slight initial color tint.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: C38coupe] #26871
02/08/07 12:14 PM
02/08/07 12:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

has anyone used alkyd enamel from other companies

Sherman Williams , Benjamin Moore , Martin Senour etc

can any of the other companies color match alkyd enamel ,

that seems to be the one drawback of using the Rustoleum products,

Beaulieu

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #26872
02/08/07 01:13 PM
02/08/07 01:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

_taF

I don't think there will be any compatibility problems putting the one brand of paint over the Brightside primer.

The only thing that I do not know for sure is if you will be able to do that trick with the Brightside primer where you can add up to 20% Brightside paint to give the primer a slight initial color tint.

i'll go for it. i'll try that trick of mixing up to 20% of tha topside paint in with tha primer of that initial layer, as well, on some test piece and see what happens with it.

i appreciate tha input.

_taF

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26873
02/08/07 01:40 PM
02/08/07 01:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

has anyone used alkyd enamel from other companies

Sherman Williams , Benjamin Moore , Martin Senour etc

can any of the other companies color match alkyd enamel ,

that seems to be the one drawback of using the Rustoleum products,

We had some members that tested other paints, but I don't remember anyone getting good results with anything but brightside and rustoleum. Of course experimentation is how we find new things.
Beaulieu

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26874
02/08/07 01:55 PM
02/08/07 01:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I saw two things way back in the posts I can't readily find now by just point/clicking random pages!

A) Exit1965's video of how he's thinned his paint

B) Someone had put together instructions for the complete process of Rustoleum after reading most of the posts. Did anyone save that?

IF I can get a link for either of those without manually having to search the 100+ pages of posts I'd be much appreciative!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26875
02/08/07 04:01 PM
02/08/07 04:01 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26876
02/08/07 04:02 PM
02/08/07 04:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I saw two things way back in the posts I can't readily find now by just point/clicking random pages!

A) Exit1965's video of how he's thinned his paint

B) Someone had put together instructions for the complete process of Rustoleum after reading most of the posts. Did anyone save that?

IF I can get a link for either of those without manually having to search the 100+ pages of posts I'd be much appreciative!

a) https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...art=13&vc=1

b) https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...art=35&vc=1

and...

http://carpainting.wetpaint.com/page/Roller%20Method

and...

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/download.php?Number=2745445

and tha one you've already posted...

http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

_taF

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26877
02/08/07 04:40 PM
02/08/07 04:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Peeerrrfect!! Thanks guys! Exactly the ones I was looking for!

Page 121 of 159 1 2 119 120 121 122 123 158 159