01/19/07 02:37 PM
01/19/07 02:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you're happy with the old paint and just the clear is coming off...sure, just clean it up(read sand) and re-clear it. Just remember...that factory paint job is thin! So don't sand to much.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26719
01/19/07 04:35 PM
01/19/07 04:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

By the way thorn - that Rustoleum Royal Red isn't even close to the color on the can. I opened some up and painted a small piece under the trunk lid. You definitely have to try these paints out to know what color they really are on a car.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26720
01/20/07 07:42 AM
01/20/07 07:42 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i've been following this for awhile, not sure when, was put onto it by people over at hybridz.org and slowly got more and more interested.

anyway, after asking aussie driver some questions regarding where he's managed to buy all his stuff from i am now more than happy with the finish i'm getting from the brightside paint. i'd tried killrust, which is another australian rustoleum equavilant, however with the dodgy cut and polish i was using i couldn't get it to shine, i'm going to try using the good poorboys stuff although i dont want to waste it. so now all i have to do is choose a colour, and commit to cover up my 90% good condition orginal coloured paint

here are my results so far, basically did the same thing aussie driver did with his bonnet, just a small test patch and the rest of it at various stages. the colour is Largo blue, although the first time i used it i didn't stir it well so i think the tin i use on my car will be slightly darker

http://www.yachtpaint.com/Images/22_18542.gif

was contemplating rescue orange but it looks really fluro on the tin lid!

in my rush to try out the cut and polish i didn't bother putting many coats ontop of my previous layer of anti rust black (dropped the door and dented it so had to repair it etc) so shouldnt have that problem when it comes to doing my car

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26721
01/21/07 11:29 AM
01/21/07 11:29 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Has anyone found Rustoleum Clear in a brush on can? I tried some of the clear coat in a spay can, but it has a lot more orange peel than the roller method. I would like to try rollering it on.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26722
01/21/07 12:12 PM
01/21/07 12:12 PM
Burma Shave
plymouthfan Offline
top fuel
plymouthfan  Offline
top fuel

Burma Shave
Quote:

Has anyone found Rustoleum Clear in a brush on can? I tried some of the clear coat in a spay can, but it has a lot more orange peel than the roller method. I would like to try rollering it on.

I went on Rustoleums site, and they only sell the Canadian Tremclad in a brush on clear

One red car, one yellow car.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26723
01/21/07 01:05 PM
01/21/07 01:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

it sands quite fast and easy and has very little metallic in it but not bad and it buffs to a high gloss. very good product. if it warms up i am going to finish wetsanding the car.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: plymouthfan] #26724
01/21/07 02:07 PM
01/21/07 02:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I went on Rustoleums site, and they only sell the Canadian Tremclad in a brush on clear

Darn. I knew I didn't see any at Home Depot or Walmart. The can stuff definitely goes on better.

I sprayed a test coat Rusto Clear on the trunk lid that I scraped all the clear coat off of (after buffing with Turtle Wax Polish) and it worked pretty well, but doesn't level as nicely as the roll on. If it ever stops raining and we get some more of that global warming I will see how it wet sands and polishes. By the way that big blob to the right of the 780 badge is where the previous owner did some touch-up with some kind of paint that doesn't peel off nicely like the clear coat. I hesitated to sand the original base coat, but that has to come off, and polishing compound won't do it.

I will be in Canada for a few days next month. Maybe I will drop into a Canadian Tire Store. I wonder if I can transport that stuff on a plane in my suitcase?

Last edited by smyrna5; 01/21/07 02:14 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26725
01/21/07 03:00 PM
01/21/07 03:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

the way the airports are now a days i would ship it with the rest of your luggage.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26726
01/21/07 05:19 PM
01/21/07 05:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've been reading this thread, and what a long yet super read it is, and I was thinking about the problem with metallics or metal flakes with roller painting the auto. I'm restoring a 74 Sleeper Satellite and am definitely on a budget, so I can empathize with everyone here.

I was looking at a website that sold micro flakes for clearcoats http://www.paintwithpearl.com/PWPinstructions.pdf
and for airbrushing. These flakes are substantially smaller than the ones used in the seventies. Their instructions are to apply them in a clear coat then cover them with two to three coats of clear coat without sanding in between the coats. Now, how would you do this without compressors and still keep it viable without a budget. Couldn't you apply your basecoat, get the auto painted the color you wanted, then apply the clearcoat that Rustoleum manufactures, then while it's wet, have a small baby powder bottle filled with the micro flakes and cast them with a simple squeeze of the bottle onto the still wet clearcoat? It's a variation of the hand cast method used in the fifties, but I would think that the dispersal would be a bit more controlled with the squeeze bottle. Either that, or mix a tablespoon of the microflake into a clearcoat and use a hand spray pump bottle to mist the clear coat onto the basecoat. Wouldn't this work and still give you a metallic paint job with a roller?

I have a roadrunner bulge hood for the Satellite. I'll post the before pictures and the after pics on this idea. Heck, I'll use both methods, one on the rr hood, and the other on the stock satellite hood to see which is more effective.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26727
01/21/07 08:07 PM
01/21/07 08:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

well the rustolium spray bomb has a micro flake in it thats why its called chrystal clear i guess. i didnt want little flakes in my paint but i have them now... o well it looks like a expensive paint job now he he...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26728
01/22/07 02:15 AM
01/22/07 02:15 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

New question. I've been reading this and I've gone bug eyed and a bit punch drunk since it's almost 1:30 a.m. Does Sherwin Williams have a Rustoleum equivalent product? If so, couldn't you get a bit more color choice than with Rustoleum? I'm a big fan of the coppers and bronze paints, and nothing I've seen with any of the aforementioned products come close. I'd love to do this to my sleeper satellite, heck, I'm on a budget that's controlled very closely by my wife!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26729
01/22/07 06:10 AM
01/22/07 06:10 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

well the rustolium spray bomb has a micro flake in it thats why its called chrystal clear i guess. i didnt want little flakes in my paint but i have them now... o well it looks like a expensive paint job now he he...

Have you already posted pics? Why not post them again anyway to show us?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26730
01/22/07 10:00 AM
01/22/07 10:00 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I saw this on Speed TV's Truck universe show this weekend:

http://www.truckuniversetv.com/home/

It's called Dupli-color Paint Shop Finish System.
(Description Taken from the Truck Universe website.)
"Body Shop is a high-quality lacquer system designed for automotive application. Body Shop is easy to apply, dries quickly, and can be buffed to a brilliant smooth surface.

Body Shop is a ready-to-spray system - no mixing or reducing is required. There is no re-coat window for any of the products in the system - allowing for additional coats to be applied anytime.

Available in 8 colors plus primer and clear."

This sounds very promising. Unfortunately, there is not much information on the product. In fact, there is nothing on Dupli-color's site yet. I just hung up the phone with their tech group and they are going to send a brochure to me. What they did tell me was that it is thinned with acetone and that it is ready for recoating in 5-10 minutes. He said that he thinks that it could be brushed on. Since it dries so quickly, I wonder if it would level out properly…

Any thoughts?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26731
01/22/07 11:39 AM
01/22/07 11:39 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

you do have to look this close (about a foot away) to see the flakes or it will look like regular paint.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26732
01/22/07 03:42 PM
01/22/07 03:42 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I saw this on Speed TV's Truck universe show this weekend:

http://www.truckuniversetv.com/home/

It's called Dupli-color Paint Shop Finish System.
(Description Taken from the Truck Universe website.)
"Body Shop is a high-quality lacquer system designed for automotive application. Body Shop is easy to apply, dries quickly, and can be buffed to a brilliant smooth surface.

Body Shop is a ready-to-spray system - no mixing or reducing is required. There is no re-coat window for any of the products in the system - allowing for additional coats to be applied anytime.

Available in 8 colors plus primer and clear."

This sounds very promising. Unfortunately, there is not much information on the product. In fact, there is nothing on Dupli-color's site yet. I just hung up the phone with their tech group and they are going to send a brochure to me. What they did tell me was that it is thinned with acetone and that it is ready for recoating in 5-10 minutes. He said that he thinks that it could be brushed on. Since it dries so quickly, I wonder if it would level out properly…

Any thoughts?

the only thoughts i have is that you still have to spray, spray = mess, and that's the only reason i'm avoiding it, but duplicolors products are extreemly good quality paints/systems.

I painted this car (71 beetle, midnight blue metalic) with duplicolor single stage system (uses all duplicolors primer, primer sealer, paint, and reducers):

And i've used duplicolors vinyl/fabric paint, and engine enamel. All of their products were great, so i think anything else that they produce would be just as good. Their engine enamel is really awesome, that stuff is the BEST paint i've ever used as far as engine enamels.

Here's my 74 beetle engine painted 7yrs ago, and it still looks perfect, and that's in a air-cooled VW which typically run ALOT hotter than water cooled cars.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26733
01/22/07 04:50 PM
01/22/07 04:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611571738
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611618427

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26734
01/22/07 05:04 PM
01/22/07 05:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

69chargeryeehaa,

I apologize for my ignorance...
Why couldn’t this the Duplicolor Paint Shop Finish Sysytem be applied using the roller method? Is it simply a case where it would dry too quickly?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26735
01/22/07 07:51 PM
01/22/07 07:51 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

69chargeryeehaa,

I apologize for my ignorance...
Why couldn’t this the Duplicolor Paint Shop Finish Sysytem be applied using the roller method? Is it simply a case where it would dry too quickly?

paints that are designed to be sprayed, flash too fast, you'd just end up with a huge mess and a roller that will just ball up. It's not possible.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26736
01/22/07 09:41 PM
01/22/07 09:41 PM
Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline
mopar
O

Great Lakes State
Hey Mybuick, First off your try at that metallic paint job with the old roller trick looks really good. Second you mention that you can only really see the metallic when you get within a foot away, Well it seems to me that a majority of factory paint jobs that are 99% metallic paint jobs now a days you can only tell when your a foot away as well. Are you personally happy with how it turned out or no? So how did you do it exactly? I can't wait till I get to the point to paint my ride maybe I'll get started this summer. Looks great man Jay

Fair winds, and following seas! Red sky at night sailor's delight, red sky in morning sailor take warning! Weather from the West is always best! Weather from the East is not fit for man nor beast!
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: ONEBADBIRD] #26737
01/22/07 11:45 PM
01/22/07 11:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

this is a lot better than going to macco and it takes the same time and alot cheaper. this is my first paint job ever and it is comming out great. though i am painting my car black (1984 buick grand national), there is bearly any stink from the paint!!!!!!! all i have is a comercial 20 inch fan and crack the garage door about 4 inches for ventalation. i have a 1989 gmc s15 jimmy that is very rusty and when i get done with the buick thats next.... i like this paint very much!!!!!! i would like to find a color chart for this company so i can see if i can paint alot of cars with this paint. all my friends want me to apint their cars too....

all i did is strip the paint to bare metal fixed some dents slapped a little bondo and painted the black (12 coats), wetsanded the paint, bufed the paint, cleared the paint (4 coats). now i am in the process of wetsanding the clear for the mirror shine like the cars at barrett-jackson. the cars that are black is what i want out of my paint job and i think i am going to get that!!!!!!

for pics of my resto click here
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i177/grandnational_2006/

Page 114 of 159 1 2 112 113 114 115 116 158 159