Originally Posted by eightlitermopar
Originally Posted by RapidRobert
As said: take off the black cable from the alt threaded stud. clamp test light clip on batt positive post. touch test light pointer to the alt stud then touch it to the cable end. NEITHER should make it light up.

Thanks. I will try this next on Saturday and report back. I will even take pictures if needed. panic

Ok, I had a quick minute to do some a test.

As stated, I hooked up the test light clamp to the positive post.

I touched the alternator case just to make sure I had a good circuit. The light came on, as expected.

I touched the alternator threaded stud (with black wire removed) and the light DID NOT come on.

I then touched the black wire (still disconnected) and the light DID NOT come on.

It looks like the alternator is ok at this point.

My next day off I will poke around and report back to see what else I could find.

*On a possible unrelated note, I had my 1992 dodge truck not start the other day. Long story short, a varmint had chewed wire on the ignition pickup on the distributor. I replaced it and got it going. I set up a trap and caught a good size rat.
While poking around on the roadrunner, I found a fresh nest between the driver door and inner front fender. It had rags and acorns stockpiled. This may not be chewed wire related, and I have not seen any wires chewed yet, but I will continue to search.

Thanks again for all your help.

eightlitermopar

Last edited by eightlitermopar; 04/07/19 02:25 PM.

Mopar or no car