G
Get-X Offline OP
mopar
Get-X  Offline OP
mopar
G

Michigan
Originally Posted by madscientist
OP...605ply nailed it. You don't need lash caps. Almost never. Lash caps will make it worse.

It's criminal that HS and a host of other either lie about your issue or are just ignorant. When I was younger, I thought they were lying. After 6 decades of life, I now know they are mostly ignorant and just don't give a single [censored] about anything but selling you junk.

You need a rocker arm geometry education. Go to the b3 racing engines web site link above and read his tech articles. Once you get an understanding, you can call Mike and he will help you fix your geometry and it won't need lash caps.

Your valve train will thank you. Mikes prices are so reasonable and his stuff works so well there is no excuse to not correct your geometry. There is no way that HS doesn't know about this, because I've personally called them. They just don't give a [censored]. A sad fact. If they actually gave a [censored] about you, the customer, they'd work with Mike to help their customers get the best. GM guys don't have to deal with this [censored]. Why do Chrysler guys put up with it?

If I sound a little pissed off over this it's because I am. There is no excuse for jacked up geometry. In fact, it's not really even HS' fault. Or any other manufacturer for that matter. They can't control the height of the rocker arm shaft saddles, or the length of the valves, both of which affect geometry. There are design details they can control, but those they can't.

So skip the lash caps and the other band aids and call Mike and get your stuff fixed. Making the valve longer with a lash cap won't fix a thing.

Appreciate the heads up, but I've been shimming Mopar rocker shafts up for 35+ years. I did read Mikes tech articles and thought they did a good job of explaining what's really happening with this rocker design. I agree with you that lash caps aren't the way to go here as I stated in my first reply. The HS rockers we're trying to use were made long before there were any TF heads, so I don't blame them at all for this.

'65 Belvedere
'68 GTX
'57 Dodge pickup
Re: Trick Flow head questions [Re: B3RE] #2639446
04/01/19 12:01 AM
04/01/19 12:01 AM
Michigan
G
Get-X Offline OP
mopar
Get-X  Offline OP
mopar
G

Michigan
Originally Posted by B3RE
I may be able to save you money on a package deal. Give me a call, and I'll see what I can do for you.

717-497-6572

Thanks for popping in Mike, I'll give you a call.

'65 Belvedere
'68 GTX
'57 Dodge pickup
Re: Trick Flow head questions [Re: Get-X] #2639456
04/01/19 12:45 AM
04/01/19 12:45 AM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted by Get-X
Originally Posted by madscientist
OP...605ply nailed it. You don't need lash caps. Almost never. Lash caps will make it worse.

It's criminal that HS and a host of other either lie about your issue or are just ignorant. When I was younger, I thought they were lying. After 6 decades of life, I now know they are mostly ignorant and just don't give a single [censored] about anything but selling you junk.

You need a rocker arm geometry education. Go to the b3 racing engines web site link above and read his tech articles. Once you get an understanding, you can call Mike and he will help you fix your geometry and it won't need lash caps.

Your valve train will thank you. Mikes prices are so reasonable and his stuff works so well there is no excuse to not correct your geometry. There is no way that HS doesn't know about this, because I've personally called them. They just don't give a [censored]. A sad fact. If they actually gave a [censored] about you, the customer, they'd work with Mike to help their customers get the best. GM guys don't have to deal with this [censored]. Why do Chrysler guys put up with it?

If I sound a little pissed off over this it's because I am. There is no excuse for jacked up geometry. In fact, it's not really even HS' fault. Or any other manufacturer for that matter. They can't control the height of the rocker arm shaft saddles, or the length of the valves, both of which affect geometry. There are design details they can control, but those they can't.

So skip the lash caps and the other band aids and call Mike and get your stuff fixed. Making the valve longer with a lash cap won't fix a thing.

Appreciate the heads up, but I've been shimming Mopar rocker shafts up for 35+ years. I did read Mikes tech articles and thought they did a good job of explaining what's really happening with this rocker design. I agree with you that lash caps aren't the way to go here as I stated in my first reply. The HS rockers we're trying to use were made long before there were any TF heads, so I don't blame them at all for this.

Using the shims that are essentially flat only raise the shafts. Your shafts (most likely) need to go up and move away from the valves. Mike has the only "shims" I've seen that actually move the shafts away from the valves. Also, it's hard to call what Mike has shims. They are pretty trick. Off the top of my head, the shims to correct my geometry were almost .250 thick and I don't recall how far it move the shafts away from the valves. A flat shim can't do that.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Page 2 of 2 1 2