B
BcudaChris Offline OP
mopar
BcudaChris  Offline OP
mopar
B

Colorado front range
Alright,

So I was installing the new brake hardware and when I went to the other side to do the job, I noticed the UBJ sitting up like three threads. Checked the other side and it was up 1+ threads. I had previously noticed, but didn't track for some reason, that the zerks were not where I indexed them. Anyhow, I snugged them with channel locks and my awesome alignment shop (a Brakes+ and I've always had good experiences with those shops) was going to tighten them for me, but didn't have the 2 9/64" socket. So the dude who aligned the car bought one personally. They torqued them up and the silence is glorious. Now I can hear the windows and decklid rattling, and what I think is an intermittent exhaust pipe rattle.

I have to say, I'm surprised bouncing the front end didn't reproduce the noise...

Now a rant...

It is always the mechanic's responsibility (my responsibility) to verify the integrity of parts before installing, and there were clues something was up. Anyway, I had a well known shop, known with a Mopar reputation clean up, seam weld and gusset the K frame with the Firm Feel kit, clean up and rebush the LCA's,weld on plates, install FF sway bar tabs and clean the UCA's, and press in new offset bushings and install the UBJ's. When I went in to drop off the stuff, the shop manager kind of looked down his nose at the hardware and started espousing the virtues of Audi's (clue 1). I thought OK, whatever, shop is full of nice hardware that I was able to inspect closely. A restomod 71 340 RR nearing completion, a Polara mostly drag car with a nasty big block, a CJ5 being hot rodded, an early 70's pickup, all the work looking top notch. The RR for example had the fuel supply and return lines installed with Adel clamps evenly spaced within FAA guidelines (was obviously up on the lift). All the electrical connections and routing I could see was as it should be with nice shrink wrapped terminations. I couldn't see any junk yard engineering anywhere.

Anyway, a month later (he, shop mgr, was doing the work for me cheap as he had time it was understood that it would take a while), I get a call from him saying he didn't think the K frame kit was right. I told him to call Firm Feel (clue 2). They walked him through everything with the K-frame and LCA's, with good results. Then I get like three calls asking how I want the UCA bushings installed, so I finally sent him a link to a write up on installing them. Another month later, I get the call to come pick up my junk. Stuff is beautiful, painted with some 90/gallon super paint (albeit sloppily and I had to tootsie roll paint off the inside of the LCA pin holes). I pay the man and take the junk home.

Assembly time, I bolt in the assembled K frame and go to install the UCAs. I discover he hasn't installed the washers (clue 3) I use a long bolt and nut and get them installed. Didn't even cross my mind to check the UBJ's. I bet the shop didn't have the socket and they probably destructively removed the old BJs. Guy told me they were ready to go, he had made my stuff into a bolt in package like I could buy from FF for 2 grand. Cost me a lot of troubleshooting time and frustration. Shoulda bought the socket and checked.

Anyway, my recommendation, Soneff's Master Garage in Denver should change its name to "Soneff's Master Catalog Parts Installer but not Fabrication or anything not bolt on." I'm rethinking my plan to use their body shop to do the rust replacement sheet metal work and trunk/driver's foot well patching. I like what I saw of their work, and the body guy is a Mopar junkie and wants to/willing to do it as side work as I can swing the cash, but I kind of have a bad taste in my mouth.

That is all.

Thanks all for the time and assistance, it was immensely helpful.

Chris

Re: 73 Barracuda - Front end noise - SOLVED! [Re: BcudaChris] #2640227
04/02/19 02:35 PM
04/02/19 02:35 PM
Nebraska
4406bbl Offline
top fuel
4406bbl  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
Glad you found it, do not get me started on shops. You must check everything, especially when it is done as a sidejob, or as time allows job, things get forgotten.

Re: 73 Barracuda - Front end noise - SOLVED! [Re: 4406bbl] #2640275
04/02/19 04:23 PM
04/02/19 04:23 PM
Colorado front range
B
BcudaChris Offline OP
mopar
BcudaChris  Offline OP
mopar
B

Colorado front range
Yup, lesson learned. Just like stuff you get back from the machine shop.

Page 2 of 2 1 2