10/31/06 10:33 AM
10/31/06 10:33 AM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Have to here, unless you are shooting lacquer assuming we are talking driveway paint job, the oversrpay may cause you a large headache depending on where it lands.
I bought the 43430 spraygun and just found out they have a neat holder for it under $10

Last edited by 69DartGT; 10/31/06 10:37 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: 69DartGT] #26179
10/31/06 02:09 PM
10/31/06 02:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's definitely a trade-off between rollering and spraying, depending on your resources available. I was originally planning on rollering because I did not have a good place to do any spraying, but a friend just offered me use of his barn for the entire winter which could be converted into a very nice paint booth.
There's also that concern how much more its' going to cost for spraying because there is more waste.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26180
10/31/06 02:35 PM
10/31/06 02:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

It's definitely a trade-off between rollering and spraying, depending on your resources available. I was originally planning on rollering because I did not have a good place to do any spraying, but a friend just offered me use of his barn for the entire winter which could be converted into a very nice paint booth.
There's also that concern how much more its' going to cost for spraying because there is more waste.

Yes rolling has some inherent benefits, no overspray, can be done anywhere by just about anyone, total lack of any special equipment required, you can buy everything you need at any Lowes/Home Depot even Wal-Mart. Those are some pretty compelling pros in favor of rolling it on. Granted the actual act of painting requires much more effort, 6+ coats seems to be the norm, LOTS of sanding, whereas with spraying it seems to be spray and go.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26181
10/31/06 02:44 PM
10/31/06 02:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you guys are going through the hassle of spraying... why not just spray using the proper automotive paints like Charger suggested. Doesn't make sense to go through all the trouble to spray and then use the "wrong" paint. Sure it may be cheaper.. but spend an extra few bucks to get the real stuff. If I had a compressor and gun on hand I would definetely be spray the car instead of rolling brighside...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26182
10/31/06 03:40 PM
10/31/06 03:40 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

If you guys are going through the hassle of spraying... why not just spray using the proper automotive paints like Charger suggested. Doesn't make sense to go through all the trouble to spray and then use the "wrong" paint. Sure it may be cheaper.. but spend an extra few bucks to get the real stuff. If I had a compressor and gun on hand I would definetely be spray the car instead of rolling brighside...

i agree. BUT i can say that spraying tremclad/rustoleum can still be much eaiser than spraying auto paint. auto paints need reducers, primer, primer sealer, and color coats, all within "windows" and is hard to do for a novice. if you sprayed tremclad/rustoleum it's just spray and go, not that i'm reccommending it just to compare with the eaisest single stage paint job, it's still more work and you kinda have to know what your doing. plus that auto paint really stinks alot more than tremclad/rustoleum. but having painted alot of cars with auto paint, i can say it's the way to go if your allready spraying, use the right stuff.

another thing that i don't get is that people think it's so much work to roller paint, and wetsand, then roller paint, wetsand again and so on. but i can say the process is WAY eaiser, faster, and less stressful. when i rollered my charger in 3 days, you picture 3 days of painting......not true. I would paint 1 coat in the am (1-2 hours), one coat in the pm (1-2 hours) and the next morning wetsand (lets just say 2 hours), then repeat. it's not like you out there all day painting, plus you have the option of just stopping when ever you finish a pannel, then putting your roller in a bag, and call it a day, try that with spraying, most paints i used (single stage auto paints and BC/CC) have very specific windows in which you MUST paint. for example, primer you can perty much do whatever you want, but after you shoot the primer sealer, you have 30 mins in which you have to spray the color coat, if you miss that window you have to wait 5 days!!!!!.

i've sprayed, let's see.....oh about ........maybe 20-30 cars over the years, and i've rollered, about....5. i can say for the amount of time involved, no taping up the whole car, cleaning the gun, mixing paint, ect....all the stuff with spray painting auto paints; it's about to me at least 10 times eaiser to roll paint. besides, a good home auto paintjob using auto paints needs wetsanded/buffed/polished anyways, so it's really not that different. also the inbetween coats wetsanding is not done as good as the last wetsand before polish, it's just a quick wetsand of the whole car to cut down peel, that's all, it does'nt have to be perfect, it's the last wetsand that does.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26183
10/31/06 04:15 PM
10/31/06 04:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Anybody got a picture of a car done with the Brightside Flag Blue yet ?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26184
10/31/06 05:43 PM
10/31/06 05:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Charger....
("besides, a good home auto paintjob using auto paints needs wetsanded/buffed/polished anyways, so it's really not that different. also the inbetween coats wetsanding is not done as good as the last wetsand before polish, it's just a quick wetsand of the whole car to cut down peel, that's all, it does'nt have to be perfect, it's the last wetsand that does.")

Are you saying the roller job doesn't need a real good wet sand just a quick- one between every other coat to cut down on orange peel???

I've definitely noticed it makes preceeding coats come out much smoother with less and less pronouced orange peel and more gloss. But, I might be spending much more time sanding between coats trying to eliminate all traces of orange peel when it isn't necessary.....and risking cutting into the underlying layers

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26185
10/31/06 05:57 PM
10/31/06 05:57 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Are you saying the roller job doesn't need a real good wet sand just a quick- one between every other coat to cut down on orange peel???

I've definitely noticed it makes preceeding coats come out much smoother with less and less pronouced orange peel and more gloss. But, I might be spending much more time sanding between coats trying to eliminate all traces of orange peel when it isn't necessary.....and risking cutting into the underlying layers

yes!!!

it is a fine balance between applying thin enough coats to avoid peel, and thick enough to not sand thru and actually get good coverage. the first 3-4 coats don't really matter, you just want coverage, and cut down the sanding time at final sand. you could just do 3 heavey coats and sand at the end, but it will be alot more work. if you can work the roller fast and good, then you could get away with 2 full strength coats, wetsand, then 1 more non thinned coat, then wetsand, then 1 coat thinned down and a final wetsand. i could do any, but i've used the paint ALOT. i'd bet i could paint a car in the dark and it would look great, but that's just because i've had alot of practice.....well maybe too much!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26186
10/31/06 06:33 PM
10/31/06 06:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

After rolling a fender....im spraying. I have used some single stage paint, but buying everything and mixing and primer is to much of a pain..i have a nice clean garage a nice 60 gallon compressor and a cheap $100 spray gun with another detail gun.

Spraying i can get two nice coats on (black on top of yellow) and it have a nice coverage, plus the time in wet sanding...it will be quicker for me.

This car is a datsun roadster,not top and everything is off and taped up..so no problem

also ill get some pics of the pearl mixed in and spraying.

Steve

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26187
11/01/06 12:12 AM
11/01/06 12:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

well i am done with the wetsanding and bufing and the paint came out great.... but i have some haze in the paint. how do i get that out?????

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26188
11/01/06 12:45 AM
11/01/06 12:45 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

well i am done with the wetsanding and bufing and the paint came out great.... but i have some haze in the paint. how do i get that out?????

Post some pics up.

What product did you polish with? If you have used a low-end polish then you won't be able to achieve high-end results, no matter how long you polish with it.

Did you do your polishing by hand or did you use a RO or a rotary?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26189
11/01/06 12:56 AM
11/01/06 12:56 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I've got some more brightside work. I started with a thicker mixture on the roof, and ended up using thinner mixture later on the sides, but I believe the thinner mixture (15%+) makes it much more prone to running.

There seems to be a sweet spot where you can roll this stuff on thick (thinned maybe 10%), wait a few minutes, then roll-out any bubbles or runs and leave the surface nice and smooth. On the roof, where the thin % was about 10%, I went back to address bubbles after about 40 minutes- and though the bubbles came out, there are now some roller marks. 15-20 minutes would have been about right, but at the temperature I'm working (about 55 degrees F and dropping) it still has a few hours to level out on its own.

Here are some pics of the roof. The orange peel isn't bad (plus it will still level out some) but there were/are some bubble and bubble artifacts, like pinholes almost. They are visible as dots in the 2nd picture.

So tonight I painted from the back of the car and stopped at the doors. When I start on the doors and fenders, I'll use a thicker mixture, wait about 20 minutes, then roll out any bubbles or runs. I think I will have some runs to wetsand out from my work tonight though

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Exit1965] #26190
11/01/06 10:02 AM
11/01/06 10:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hurray for an update Exit! lol.

About the bubbles you are experiencing, do you forsee that as a problem on the final coat? When you wetsand the bubbles (if you get them on the final coat) won't it leave pin holes in the paint?

Last edited by Mage33; 11/01/06 10:02 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26191
11/01/06 10:50 AM
11/01/06 10:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello,
I just joined this forum to post the results of my rustoleum paint job. I am more into performance rather than slick paint jobs, so my M.O. is to spray bomb my project cars with semi flat black paint. After reading both long threads here I decided to give it a try on my semi flat black 81 corolla.

On my hood,I tried 69charger's suggestions first and then I developed my on method. BTW I used rustoleum royal blue.

I only use the ingredients as per 69charger. My method was to prep the car, then roll the paint on only thinning the paint 10-20% to get good coverage. Of course this resulted in lots of orange peel but the coverage was excellent . I then wet sanded all the orange peel out with 400 grit until smooth. I then rerolled the car with the paint thinned out 50/50. I was then left with a much smoother surface.

I know the pics are not very good but they were taken in my poorly lit garage. I will post better pics outside after some detailing.

I am very happy with the results, enough to say that I will never ride in a flat black car again. This is too easy. I plan to do the same to my 81 corolla wagon.

I will paint it rustoleum gloss almond. I then will paint the center of the starion wheel bronze and tint the windows light bronze. I will leave the side skirts satin black. I am still undecided on wether to paint the front lip almond or satin black.

Anyway thanks for the support 69charger!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26192
11/01/06 11:05 AM
11/01/06 11:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi All,

I'm yet another lurker of this thread...

Have been in the process of painting a project vespa using Brightside...

The info on here has been most helpful....

Sadly it seems I haven't been as methodical as I should have been....

I'm experiencing a load of orange peel.... I have managed to sand the surface smooth...I see a dull surface with no shiny bits head on... but when I tilt the panel in the light I can still see what I think is orange peel, there are bits of shiny...

So, my question is, if I go and roll another layer of paint, will this ever-so-faint orange peel disappear?

Cheers.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26193
11/01/06 11:20 AM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Hi All,

I'm yet another lurker of this thread...

Have been in the process of painting a project vespa using Brightside...

The info on here has been most helpful....

Sadly it seems I haven't been as methodical as I should have been....

I'm experiencing a load of orange peel.... I have managed to sand the surface smooth...I see a dull surface with no shiny bits head on... but when I tilt the panel in the light I can still see what I think is orange peel, there are bits of shiny...

So, my question is, if I go and roll another layer of paint, will this ever-so-faint orange peel disappear?

Cheers.

the answer is no

sand all the peel out now, or you'll just take 1 step forward and 2 back. peel will never go away, even if it's slight, as soon as you put that next shiny layer or paint it will act like a magnifying glass and peel will be alot more evident. try to apply thinner coats until you cut the peel down to just a tiny bit, that you can sand out really quickly, remember each coat adds more peel. try expirementing with your thinned mixture, and only proceed on the hood for example until you find that "sweet spot", then do the whole car so you don't do double the work.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26194
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
looking good YOTARIP i like that blue.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26195
11/01/06 12:49 PM
11/01/06 12:49 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Hurray for an update Exit! lol.

About the bubbles you are experiencing, do you forsee that as a problem on the final coat? When you wetsand the bubbles (if you get them on the final coat) won't it leave pin holes in the paint?

Actually this WAS supposed to be the final coat, but I realize I need a bit more practice which is why I stopped short of doing the doors and fenders last night. I will just have to lay it on then roll over it a few times until all the bubbles are gone or yes it probably will leave pinholes.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26196
11/02/06 12:37 AM
11/02/06 12:37 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh Bum!

And I thought I could get away with it.... Darn...

Ok, one more question... seeing as I'm likely going to sand through 90% of my work... will I need to use another layer of the interlux pre-coat? Is it really necessary?

Cheers.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26197
11/02/06 01:00 AM
11/02/06 01:00 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Oh Bum!

And I thought I could get away with it.... Darn...

Ok, one more question... seeing as I'm likely going to sand through 90% of my work... will I need to use another layer of the interlux pre-coat? Is it really necessary?

Cheers.

Though I don't have any long term results, brightside seems to go well over 2 types of rattlecan primer I've used, as well as rustoleum. I am not sure what you have under the brightside but this non-catalyzed paint is not very hard (i.e. rough on) on painted surface underneath the way a catalyzed one is.

Last edited by Exit1965; 11/02/06 01:08 AM.
Page 87 of 159 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 158 159