10/17/06 12:27 AM
10/17/06 12:27 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i have the civic hatch with the red paint...milano red or w/e would the brightside paint match the color? anyone konw?

thanks

also how many qrts did u guys use to paint the whole car?

Last edited by crazygoat; 10/17/06 09:31 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26099
10/17/06 09:49 AM
10/17/06 09:49 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey all, I'm late to the party, but....
Has anyone tried adding some hardener to the Rustoleum or Brightside? I'm not very knowledgeable about paint, so this may not be a good idea. It sounds like a solution to the soft paint that some of us have experienced.
I'm considering the Brightside Flag Blue. Does anyone have a pic of this color. I'm looking for a very dark blue.
I've read all the posts from the beginning, took about a week. If this was covered, I misssed it.
thanks, Mark

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26100
10/17/06 01:42 PM
10/17/06 01:42 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
There are enamel hardeners that should work with rustoleum (and maybe brightside). Valspar makes some. The problem is they are quite unhealthy.

To me, the logical next step from these single part paints, is to use a 2 part hardened urethane enamel such as Interlux Perfection. It can be rolled on, and should get as hard as any paint. It's a bit more expensive though, and the surface prep is more particular because I take it it's harsher and can pull up what's under it. I've painted brightside over rustoleum, as has Marq and maybe others, and it works fine. I've also put it over rattlecan primer with no issues (at least yet, but there's no sign of any problem).

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26101
10/17/06 03:45 PM
10/17/06 03:45 PM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
As Exit said, hardeners/catalyst is what contains the isocyanates...one of the reasons we are not using automotive paint.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Exit1965] #26102
10/17/06 03:53 PM
10/17/06 03:53 PM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
Exit,

Previously, you mentioned that the Off White color from the Interlux Color Card didn't match your actual paint. Does your current Hatteras Off White match the Color Card?

Thanks.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: kenzo42] #26103
10/17/06 06:01 PM
10/17/06 06:01 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Exit,

Previously, you mentioned that the Off White color from the Interlux Color Card didn't match your actual paint. Does your current Hatteras Off White match the Color Card?

Thanks.

Depends on the color card. The shiny new color card I got to take with me, was not a match. The one they had laminated in the store, which looked to be a few years old, was a match.

In the case of Hatteras Off White, the top of the can is painted, supposedly with the same paint and the color seems to be a match to what's in the can. The regular off white to me looked just plain white (as did the top of the can, but I went off the color card and figured it was more accurate than the salesman telling me the top of the can was the same color), the hatteras off white to me looks like it should be the only thing called off white. It's a bit creamy, but not quite yellowish.

Exit Brightside paint [Re: Exit1965] #26104
10/17/06 08:01 PM
10/17/06 08:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Any updates on how well the painting process w/ brightside is going Exit? Postive/negative?

Re: Exit Brightside paint #26105
10/17/06 09:12 PM
10/17/06 09:12 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I should have an update this weekend, I am going to sand on Thursday and Friday and roll on Saturday.

Re: Exit Brightside paint [Re: Exit1965] #26106
10/18/06 11:07 AM
10/18/06 11:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There was a guy on here a couple of months ago, "RollinOlds"? who was about lay down Brightside Flag Blue. I am about to order some but wanted to see it on a car first as the color chips on Interlux's site arent much help. Anybody done this that can post a few pics ???? HELP

Re: Profesional Results? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26107
10/18/06 05:28 PM
10/18/06 05:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I'm in mississauga too

All the guys from Mississauga and around the GTA should meet up and compare our work. Im especially interested in seeing the orange Charger in person! The 240z looks looks awesome.

Im from Oakville, ON btw.

Steve

Re: Profesional Results? #26108
10/19/06 12:46 AM
10/19/06 12:46 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

im in ajax =) i beat ya'll

Re: From some other car forum using West Marine Sea Glo [Re: Exit1965] #26109
10/19/06 07:15 AM
10/19/06 07:15 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I haven't used a PC.

With the 6" orbital, I only polished a small area when I was doing safety red. It was easy enough, but not what I would call a fast process but it was not labor intensive really. That 6" polisher is lightweight and quiet and the PC would have to save quite a lot of time to justify the cost $12 vs. $100.

I wasn't really thinking of the time savings ... mostly I'm just concerned about the final result. I just wanted to make sure that the coleman unit can get the same shine as the PC unit. If it takes more time to do that, no problem.

My results using Safety Orange Rustoleum #26110
10/19/06 09:49 AM
10/19/06 09:49 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Long time listener, first time caller here. I started reading about this method earlier this summer and I decided to try it out on the fender of my '72 Super Beetle. I was so pleased with the results and ease of application that I jumped in head first and did my whole car about a month ago.

I've been posting progress pics on my Flikr account and writing about the whole thing up on my blog if anyone is interested. You can read it here.

And now for the pictures:

Good times... lot of work, though. If you read my postings on my blog, you'll find that I skipped a couple of steps in the Rustoleum recipe, namely the wetsanding–-I saved that for last. All of my friends are blown away that I used a roller to paint my car. Personally, I'm blown away that I was able to find close-matching orange in Rustoleum (Safety Orange). It's almost an homage to charger's orange beetle (mine was originally orange anyway).

Here's what I used:
-Professional Rustoleum: Safety Orange
-Cut with Odorless Mineral Spirits
-Wet-sanded once before a final glaze coat
-Polished with Turtle Wax polishing compound
-Polished with 3M Swirl Mark Remover
-Soon to be waxed with Turtle Wax High Gloss Wax

Re: My results using Safety Orange Rustoleum #26111
10/19/06 09:57 AM
10/19/06 09:57 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Gumby Mac - very nice job, my car was originally orange too (74 beetle) so i decided to go back to the original color, i think your car looks awesome, very nice work.
i really like orange on a bug.

Re: My results using Safety Orange Rustoleum [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26112
10/19/06 02:18 PM
10/19/06 02:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm feeling the weight of the expensive paint job coming off my shoulders. In 1985 I painted my 260z with lacquer. The process with painting, wet sanding,painting ,wet sanding, etc,etc, and then polishing is very much the same. I got a very nice paint job that way. Our garage conditions were pretty rough. But it worked. And at the time it probably cost me about 200 bucks in materials.
Now I have a 240z that hasn't been completed since the modern paint system is deadly and I'm not going to spray it in my home garage. So the car has just sat. Now because of the roller process the car is finally on the way to be completed. I didn't want a "show" car finish. And being a 70's car it didn't have a high gloss finish to begin with. My biggest issue was to get a paint that would be a close match to the "Burnt Orange" factory color. I practiced with Rustoleum to see how easy the roller would lay down paint. Which it does well. But, I had to find a paint to use that could be matched to my color. I went to Sherwin Williams since they had an Industrial/Marine Alkyd enamel paint that seemed to fit the bill ($38 per gallon) and could be custom mixed to match color. So far thinning the S/W paint with Xylene has given the best results. The Mineral spirits didn't seem to mix well. Also, the S/W gloss is not as good right out of the can as Rustoleum. So that will have to come with polishing. I do remember lacquer paint seemed to be the same way. Lastly, I contacted my Benj. Moore rep to see about one of their paints. M22 enamel($68 per gal). It is a Urethane reinforced Alkyd. And it can be color matched. So as an experiment I might try it since I believe it can be thinned with Mineral spirits. I think Gumby Mac process is a time saver. Although, I notice my orange peel getting less and less as I went up thru the stages of sandpaper when I would lay down each new coat. So waiting then end to wet sand may only work if you have minimal orange peel from the start.
P.S. I have a Porter Cable Orbital palm sander and 4 inch grinder that I believe can be adapted to use a buffer pad. The 4 inch grinder gets a orbital attachment to make it a buffer. So no need to buy a buffer tool if you have either a palm sander or a 4 inch grinder.

Last edited by Kellhammer; 10/19/06 02:23 PM.
Re: My results using Safety Orange Rustoleum #26113
10/19/06 09:02 PM
10/19/06 09:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

k, i tried the pearl just mixing it in a thin batch..Wow..you can acutally see it and its non affected by sanding. I still may mix it with a clear coat,but you can get the base coat down and wet sanded, then mix in a jar of pearl with a quart of paint...thin it, then paint....you will be amazed!!!

Steve

Re: My results using Safety Orange Rustoleum #26114
10/19/06 10:10 PM
10/19/06 10:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What "pearl" do you speak of? More info please. got pics of how it looks? really interested... i think marq tried this out and it didn't out that well...

Quote:

k, i tried the pearl just mixing it in a thin batch..Wow..you can acutally see it and its non affected by sanding. I still may mix it with a clear coat,but you can get the base coat down and wet sanded, then mix in a jar of pearl with a quart of paint...thin it, then paint....you will be amazed!!!

Steve

Re: My results using Safety Orange Rustoleum #26115
10/20/06 02:05 PM
10/20/06 02:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

www.paintwithpearl.com

they also are on ebay....more choices.

Steve

Re: My results using Safety Orange Rustoleum #26116
10/20/06 02:16 PM
10/20/06 02:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

www.paintwithpearl.com

they also are on ebay....more choices.

Steve

So your saying you just mixed a quart of rustolean/brightside with it and rolled it on? It doesn't have to be sprayed on?

Re: My results using Safety Orange Rustoleum #26117
10/20/06 04:40 PM
10/20/06 04:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am in a similar situation. I have read through all of this and did this to my son's 1988 Honda Accord. I will include some images, but first the story.

We purchase the car for $1000 and had the windshield replaced (was cracked) for $150. I looked into Maaco options and was going to just prep the car and then take it there. I called a friend who restores and paints cars. Well it started out that if I would prep the car and prime it then he would spray it for me. This was just going to cost me materials (about $120) at that time. Well that quickly increased to $300 in material then I did not have the right size compressor and my body work was wrong and on and on. Then I was ready to have it sprayed and then after 3-4 weeks of either it not being a good time or the weather turning to cold or raining I was very frustrated. I then ran across this post and read through the entire thing.

What a GREAT way to paint a car and without the mess and COST of the spray on material. It takes a lot of elbow grease to make this work especially with black, but the results are great. Once we decided to got at this ourselves (myself and my son) it took about 5 days to paint, wetsand (two coats of paint and then wetsand) three times and then polish to get our finished product. I did need to upgrade from a $20 orbital waxer to a $30 (on sale at Harbor Freight) polisher/sander. You MUST be carful with this machine!! Anyway thanks to all - now the pics!

3004783-DSCN3999.JPG (807 downloads)
Page 83 of 159 1 2 81 82 83 84 85 158 159