madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted By BobR
Originally Posted By TRENDZ
If you want real, tested info on COP ignition, find Lance Nist. He holds several patents in ignition systems. He would be the first person i would contact for a maximized ignition.

Isn’t that Alepa Hemi from PLR running COP? Like 5200hp on meth?

Yes. We've been 209.46 in the 1/8th at 3100 pounds. That figures to be 4600+-. Peak power doesn't seem to be the issue. It's idle thru about 4000 where we are having issues but with turbos you have to get them up on boost before anything happens.

I keep hearing the new stuff is going to blow away the mag. Been hearing that since I bought my own mag in 1987.

It's damn hard to beat a mag.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? [Re: BobR] #2568514
10/23/18 07:04 PM
10/23/18 07:04 PM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
I would think the manufacturer would know best, but to me, if the ignition can fire through 60 psi boost on methanol, it would seem it should be able to fire at low cylinder pressure.
Is the mag just able to cover for an overly wet/rich mixture?
Honestly never messed with anything close to your combo, but with the minimal info I have here, it seems to me that down low your mixture is to dang wet.

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"
Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? [Re: TRENDZ] #2568632
10/23/18 10:40 PM
10/23/18 10:40 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline OP
master
BobR  Offline OP
master
B

Left Coast
Originally Posted By TRENDZ
I would think the manufacturer would know best, but to me, if the ignition can fire through 60 psi boost on methanol, it would seem it should be able to fire at low cylinder pressure.
Is the mag just able to cover for an overly wet/rich mixture?
Honestly never messed with anything close to your combo, but with the minimal info I have here, it seems to me that down low your mixture is to dang wet.

We leaned it to 5.0. So lean it wouldn't tip-in without backfiring. Still no better. Idles best about 3.8 so that's where we run it with the mag(and where we started with the COP). I know what the book says but we ultimately do what makes the motor happy. Don't forget...it took over 2 seconds longer to spool which is a very big deal. The trans fluid gets hot in a hurry when on the chip. When I say hot I mean 600+ degrees with just a couple seconds delay.

Page 2 of 2 1 2