09/03/18 03:03 AM
09/03/18 03:03 AM
P
Porter67 Offline
master
Porter67  Offline
master
P

Ive a real cool garage it would stay cool in.

Electrolysis is a bad, bad thing ive probably replaced over 500 sleeves in the older diesels from that, it will eat through a liner in short order.

I wonder how long dodge neon coolant is good for, ive 135k on my 04 and am sorta afraid to change it out. I did the t belt and water pump and dumped the old right back in. Still dont freeze at -5.

Re: How to keep Superbird from overheating? [Re: rickseeman] #2544930
09/03/18 03:27 AM
09/03/18 03:27 AM
albany ny
05dakota Offline
I Live Here
05dakota  Offline
I Live Here

albany ny
1or 2 bucks a gallon> every Walmart, grocery store, drug store etc has it

Originally Posted By rickseeman
I think distilled water is expensive, inconvenient and unnecessary. I would flush the cooling system real good (maybe twice) with a product from the parts store. Be sure to rinse good. Run some antifreeze to keep it from rusting. Make sure your nose is sealed up good. I put on a new stock fan clutch and I think I used a fan from a New Yorker or something that looks the same but is 1" larger. You can only do this if your motor mounts are tight to keep the fan from hitting the fan shroud. It won't run hot when you get done.

5549 post on old board
Re: How to keep Superbird from overheating? [Re: 05dakota] #2544934
09/03/18 03:58 AM
09/03/18 03:58 AM
P
Porter67 Offline
master
Porter67  Offline
master
P

99 cents here....

quote=05dakota]1or 2 bucks a gallon> every Walmart, grocery store, drug store etc has it

Originally Posted By rickseeman
I think distilled water is expensive, inconvenient and unnecessary. I would flush the cooling system real good (maybe twice) with a product from the parts store. Be sure to rinse good. Run some antifreeze to keep it from rusting. Make sure your nose is sealed up good. I put on a new stock fan clutch and I think I used a fan from a New Yorker or something that looks the same but is 1" larger. You can only do this if your motor mounts are tight to keep the fan from hitting the fan shroud. It won't run hot when you get done.
[/quote]

Re: How to keep Superbird from overheating? [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2544943
09/03/18 05:43 AM
09/03/18 05:43 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper
OK, I don't mean any offense to anyone, but I am literally an anti-freeze scientist (seriously).
1. Use distilled water - most of what you see as "sludge/gunk" inside your cooling system is from previous owners using tap water (well water is the worst). The water evaporates & the minerals in the water coat the inside of your cooling system.
2. Water cools better than antifreeze (normally ethylene glycol) because water has better heat transfer. You should run the most water / least antifreeze for the coldest day of the year in your area (wind chill doesn't count). The only downside of water is that it freezes.
3. Water Wetter is simply the "corrosion inhibitor package" of antifreeze (similar to Dexcool) + a touch of ethylene glycol. It does NOT make your engine cooler just by adding to your 50/50 coolant. It DOES allow you to run straight distilled water, which DOES make your engine run cooler.
4. The color of antifreeze means nothing.
5. The closest formula to the original Mopar coolant is "Peak Green" (the name of the antifreeze, not just the color). Most green-colored Peak antifreeze is Dexcool with green dye. (which is also fine to run, fyi)
6. If you do run more water (e.g. 70/30 or just distilled water instead of 50/50), the DO use Water Wetter (iron heads) or Lucas Super Coolant / Royal Purple's Purple Ice (aluminum heads). Hyper Cool is "snake oil".
7. Do not mix your brands of anti-freeze (regardless if they're the same color). Some "green" anti-freeze doesn't mix well with other "green" ant-freeze.

8. Side note - Evans will make your car run hot. If you insist on running "waterless" antifreeze (Evans does have water in it), then just run DexCool concentrate...nearly identical formulas. I don't recommend either without the water personally.

Oh yeah, and make SURE your engine block, body & frame are all grounded very well to each other to avoid "electrolysis". If your ground wires get corroded, the electricity will flow through your coolant and cause corrosion.
Good info. Appreciated.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: How to keep Superbird from overheating? [Re: autoxcuda] #2544992
09/03/18 11:30 AM
09/03/18 11:30 AM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline
super stock

Chicago
I will keep Justice Brothers in mind, but I have never analyzed their formula, so I cannot personally recommend it....could be good, I just don't know for sure.

1. The basic "sales pitch" of Water Wetter is 100% BS. Lowering the surface tension of your coolant substantially (what Water Wetter claims) makes your coolant FOAMY...and air bubbles don't transfer heat very well...so your engine runs HOTTER. More water is the key to making your engine run cooler, not a bottle of pixie dust.

2. Hyper Lube is JUST WATER + some surfactants. There's no corrosion inhibitor at all. It does foam. I do not recommend Hyper Lube for anyone in any engine.

3. Having personally run the same (or similar) test of engine temperature vs. coolant additive I am skeptical of the results. All of the products will run +/- 1 degree F with the same blend of ethylene glycol & water or just water.....except Hyper Lube which may run hotter if that cooling system allows it to foam.

4. The graph you show is "heat capacity", which shows how much heat a gallon can hold inside it. This is also useful, but more important is "heat transfer coefficient" which is how easily the liquid takes heat out of one thing (your engine block) and transfers it to another thing (your radiator). Water winds hands down vs. ethylene glycol (or propylene glycol or glycerin) by a factor of about 3x or 4x. Water is MUCH better at transferring heat.

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"
Re: How to keep Superbird from overheating? [Re: Luis Zavala] #2545008
09/03/18 11:45 AM
09/03/18 11:45 AM
Oakwood Ont Canada
340mouse Offline
enthusiast
340mouse  Offline
enthusiast

Oakwood Ont Canada
Luis
As one other member mentioned, he could keep it cool in his garage, but I am farther north and it would be cooler in my
Garage, Just Saying!!!!
Dave

Re: How to keep Superbird from overheating? [Re: PurpleBeeper] #2547431
09/08/18 12:10 AM
09/08/18 12:10 AM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper

8. Side note - Evans will make your car run hot. If you insist on running "waterless" antifreeze (Evans does have water in it), then just run DexCool concentrate...nearly identical formulas. I don't recommend either without the water personally.

Dang! Where were you when I bought Evans? I paid a LOT to have my engine run hotter. By the way, Evans voids their guarantee if you add water. Also, it's supposed to have a higher boiling point, which is interesting if it does indeed make it run hotter.

I’m listening.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3