06/21/06 05:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok guys, MAJOR revelation here!

As you all know, we’ve been trying to reverse engineer the old technique of “Coach Painting” as explained in this web site: http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/
For decades, guys in Britain have painted cars, double decker buses, Rolls Royces with a brush and alkyd enamels designed for vehicles. The only problem is, the paint they use (Tekaloid) is not available outside of Britain.

So we’ve been stuck trying to tweak a rust paint to behave like an auto paint. Another problem, is the fact that neither Rustoleum or Tremclad have offered us any documented advice or assistance on the feasibility of their paint for autos.

As much as I hated TheSamba.com, there was one post in there that peaked my interest. Someone mentioned using paint from a company called Fine Paints of Europe.

I wrote Fine Paints of Europe to see if their paint was similar to Tekaloid. Here’s the PRESIDENT’S reply:
“Yes indeed our Dutchlac enamel paint is suitable for use on automobiles.
Quite honestly a brushed applied enamel is not going to have the same appearance as a professional “baked” finish applied in a clean room. The paint will however be serviceable and is it suitable for re-painting automobiles from an appearance and durability perspective.
Cars should be painted in a relatively dust free environment – this is normally easily achieved by parking the car in an enclosed garage and soaking the floor 24 hours before the paint is applied in order that dust can settle out. The temperature of the sheet metal on the automobile should be less than 80 degrees F and the paint should be applied in thin, even coats. The ideal applicator would be the Omega Spalter or Lily Varnish as featured in the Specifier’s Manual.
For first class work we would recommend that the automobile be gently abraded with fine emery cloth and washed before painting. Any areas of rust must be primed and then sanded out – primed with Ferrous Metal primer.
Dutchlac brilliant enamel will work fine at either full strength or slightly diluted. Please understand that paints of this caliber will dry overnight but require a full 28 days to “cure” to maximum hardness.
If you are interested in achieving a sprayed on appearance with brush on paint, it is possible to allow the paint to cure for 28 days (the car can be used while you wait) and then polish the car out with pumice and then rottenstone to provide a beautiful buffed out appearance. If you wish to take this final polishing step please contact me by phone directly in order that we can discuss the method directly.

There are innumerable Volkswagens and Volvo driving around New England with paint jobs from Fine Paints Of Europe.

Thank you for your interest.

Cordially,
John Lahey
President
Fine Paints of Europe
Phone: 802-457-5899
Fax: 802-457-3984
Email: exec@finepaints.com
PS. Our paint is also widely used by craftsmen who restore coaches. It’s a small market but on in which we take great pride"

Here’s their website guys: http://www.finepaintsofeurope.com/index.html

Note they DO have local locations for most of us.

Those of you trying to refine Charger’s technique, please continue to do so ( I am, 'cause I've already gone too far with it.) It’s just that here’s an alternative for those who are just starting out.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24759
06/21/06 05:20 PM
06/21/06 05:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

talk to the people at lowes.. im sure they can order it.. i know the one in wisconsin had almost everycolor in stock.. jsut ask.. they might be able to get it.. otherwise i dunno.. try home depot and stuff too.. i found home depo carried less colors.. but i know they can order alot too..

Home Depot refuses to order anything for me -- and they carry the spray version of the color. They offered to do a tint, but they can't do a dark blue, which is what I'm looking for. I'll try talking to Lowe's, but the one around here doesn't carry *any* Rustoleum.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24760
06/21/06 05:29 PM
06/21/06 05:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

talk to the people at lowes.. im sure they can order it.. i know the one in wisconsin had almost everycolor in stock.. jsut ask.. they might be able to get it.. otherwise i dunno.. try home depot and stuff too.. i found home depo carried less colors.. but i know they can order alot too..

Home Depot refuses to order anything for me -- and they carry the spray version of the color. They offered to do a tint, but they can't do a dark blue, which is what I'm looking for. I'll try talking to Lowe's, but the one around here doesn't carry *any* Rustoleum.

maybe get blue and buy a quart of black. mix and see if it would come out dark blue

----

so nobody is going to try the gloss clear i posted? you would need a clear coat if your going to use metallic cuz your not suppose to sand after spraying or rolling from what i remember.i guess i will

Last edited by Cal96; 06/21/06 05:46 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24761
06/21/06 07:01 PM
06/21/06 07:01 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Wow that's bad. I've had the opportunity to order stuff from home depot, but i have to order it by the case. If they wont do it, try finding anyone else who sells rustoleum. For paint only stores, they probably have a rustoleum contact person in their region that can get the stuff. If not, you can order it online somewhere. just google the color name, "rustoleum" and "quart"..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24762
06/21/06 09:17 PM
06/21/06 09:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Check out my (soon to be) pimping whip!

Put the first coat of paint on my ghetto wheels today. I started yesterday thinking that after one or two hours of work I'd be ready to paint. Boy was I wrong. Grinding and filling took much longer than I had hoped. I was using polyester finishing putty rather than the regular Bondo and it was hardening up too fast. In fact I finally said enough was enough and threw down my first coat of paint. I did the prep sanding with 320 and 400 grit and wiped the car down with wax and grease remover.

And it already looks fantastic!

Paint went down smoooooth. In fact I only used 3/4 of a cup of paint mixed with a measured 15% mineral spirits to do the first coat.

I can't believe how smooth and even the first coat went down. I am guessing the by the second or third coat I will have achieved a solid colour.

I will have to go back and finish the body work later. In fact one of the reasons I never fixed the problems earlier was I knew I could never properly match the metallic paint on the car - now not an issue with the Tremclad Dark Blue.

The one thing I will pass along is that the time and effort involved may at the end of the whole thing make a $200 MACCO job feel like a bargain.

2714820-gehtoride.JPG (865 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24763
06/21/06 09:18 PM
06/21/06 09:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

First coat of paint.......

2714825-firstcoat.JPG (927 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24764
06/21/06 10:04 PM
06/21/06 10:04 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

would there be a problem if i buy 2 different kind of colors and mix them to get a color you like? example i have forest green but id like it to be darker...if i buy black and tint it a little... it would get a darker forest green... anyone?

I did a test with a can of Fire Red and a can of Black ( both high gloss versions )

I took a sheet of wood and placed 10 drops of red on the sheet.

Then I took the black paint and dropped 1 drop on the first red spot, 2 drops of black on the second red spot, 3 drops of black on the third red dot etc etc etc.

I was extremely disapointed to see that instead of darkening the Fire Red... it instead changed it to almost a pottery brown color.

And this color change held true in a 50/50 ratio ( one drop black and one drop of red ) up to a 10 to 1 ration ( 10 black to the 1 red ).

Even more interesting in this color palette is that there was almost no difference in the color of the 1 to 1 ratio and the 10 to 1 ratio.

Frankly it didn't make any sense to me... as I believed that if you cut the red with black it would result in a more blacker or darker version of red.

So I tried to reverse the experiment by laying out 10 single dots of black... and then added an increasing number of red drops to each single black. The theory here was to try to overwhelm the black with an increasing amount of red.

Oddly enough... the results were almost identical. The pottery brown color appeared in all ten of the test dots.

So my theory at this moment is that cutting a colored Tremclad color or mixing it with a black Tremclad paint MAY NOT result in the expected darker color change.

Because this color mixing did not work... I went and spent some time reading up on everything I could find about color mixing. My theory was that possibly with the Tremclad paint you might have to do something weird like cutting the red with some other color... like maybe a purple with a red or a green with a red... But I never found any answer on what color combination might have the desired end result color. In theory the black paint mixed with the red should have done the darkening job I wanted.

NOW... here is something that I did notice. When I first opened a can of Fire Red... ( that had not been shaken and had obviously sat on the shelf at the Home Depot for a while ) there was definitely a streak of black floating on the surface of the can of paint. Now that tells me that the Fire Red does have a streak of black added to it at the factory - or that the black color had separated from the red paint while it was sitting on the shelf.

SOOOOOO... possibly the 'shot of black' that is added by Tremclad at the factory into the can could be something you might want to explore with the paint shop where you buy your paint... ie... don't waste time trying to mix paint with paint - because the end result color may be unpredictable. INSTEAD... as the folks in the paint department to shoot a shot of BLACK tint into the can of paint. Get them to shake the can... and then have it opened to see if it has arrived at the color you want. If not.. get them to shoot another shot of the black into your can. Obviously you will need to keep track of how many shots of black tint it takes to arrive at the ideal color ( so that you can order an identical batch when you need more paint. )

Possibly that is what you were referring to when you mentioned adding a tint to your color choice. I can't speak to whether a shot of tint at the paint mixing booth is viable. I do know that the store is going to make you pay for the can of paint even if the end results are no where near what you had hoped for. That's the only problem with being the pathfinder or first to test the 'shot of tint' at the paint mixing station.

NOW... that having been said... the one conclusion that we have arrived at regarding darkening colors is to lay down a thin layer of black Tremclad.. and then lay one or two thin layers of your choice of color over it. Due to the relatively transparent nature of these thin layers, the upper layer tend to inherit some of the darkness of the layer beneath it. This is the theory I am following in my quest to end up with a very blackish red ( black cherry ).

Maybe the short answer for you and your Green is to try the drip experiment. Lay out 10 drops of green paint on a palette and then drop onto each one an increasing number of black drops... ie
1 green * 1 black
1 green * 2 black
1 green * 3 black etc.

Then mix or blend each individual combination with your finger to see what the resulting combination creates... Maybe you will end up with the theoretical darkening dots that would be normally expected... or maybe you will end up with 10 dots of similar colonial green.. :0

Hope this info helps in your quest

Last edited by Marq; 06/21/06 10:18 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24765
06/21/06 10:20 PM
06/21/06 10:20 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

First coat of paint.......

Wow that looks like it was applied perfectly, sweet..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24766
06/21/06 10:23 PM
06/21/06 10:23 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
73bugg, that is good info! The most important thing I see there is that the metal surface should be under 80 degrees. I bet that has to do with how fast the paint hardens up. Too fast and it wont have time to settle down flat. I'll remember that on my next coats. I'll try to do them in the morning.

And 28 days sounds like a good amount of time to wait between the final coat and the wetsand/polish/wax..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #24767
06/21/06 10:26 PM
06/21/06 10:26 PM
georgia
D
darenrt Offline
darenrt  Offline
D

georgia
marq, maybe try a dark blue mix for the dark red color your looking for.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24768
06/21/06 10:55 PM
06/21/06 10:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what color is that Senna?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24769
06/21/06 11:57 PM
06/21/06 11:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

well my dark green came out how i wanted to be. just add black if you want to darken it...and mix it GOOOD! i will have pictures tomorrow and my bondoed car . as for the clear gloss i didnt find any

nice picture Senna!

tomorrow ill be sanding everything down to 400 and buying the sprayer

Last edited by Cal96; 06/22/06 12:00 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #24770
06/22/06 12:35 AM
06/22/06 12:35 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

good idea! but today i was messing with it in a small container.i just added drips of black in my green till its noticably different or the color i wanted it. after that i panted a few parts and it came out good...but a few times the black would fight (i would call it) with green and black would show up like web pattern..im guessing that happened because i didnt mix it well enough...weird, but i did few more spots and it came out like i wouldnt want to color sand it

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24771
06/22/06 12:41 AM
06/22/06 12:41 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

it went well. its only for darkening a color
i remeber back when i had art class, they gave me a color wheel and it would give you what to mix for the outcome but [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] i have no idea where it is. maybe google

look what i found http://www.paintquality.com/color/index.html# click on the digital color wheel

hope this helps.

Last edited by Cal96; 06/22/06 12:53 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24772
06/22/06 07:44 AM
06/22/06 07:44 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I can't find any store that carries quarts or gallons of Navy Blue (Royal blue is too light for my tastes), so I'm thinking of using a tinted store brand. Lowes carries tintable akyld and acrylic enamels, which kind should I be using?

My local WallyWorld had 6 or 8 quarts of Navy Blue in their clearance ailse last night for $4.00 each. That doesn't help you other than to suggest you might want to check out Walmart.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #24773
06/22/06 07:48 AM
06/22/06 07:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[quote
I did a test with a can of Fire Red and a can of Black ( both high gloss versions )

I took a sheet of wood and placed 10 drops of red on the sheet.

Then I took the black paint and dropped 1 drop on the first red spot, 2 drops of black on the second red spot, 3 drops of black on the third red dot etc etc etc.

Something tells me thats way too much black to red ratio for the color you're aiming for. I had some paint tinted for home use and the amount they added to a gallon for a big shift in shade was something like 20 drops. Been a while since I had that done so I don't remember the details, I just remember being shocked that they added so little.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24774
06/22/06 08:09 AM
06/22/06 08:09 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Something tells me thats way too much black to red ratio for the color you're aiming for. I had some paint tinted for home use and the amount they added to a gallon for a big shift in shade was something like 20 drops. Been a while since I had that done so I don't remember the details, I just remember being shocked that they added so little.

You are right... but the 'shot of color' that they add to the paint at the paint mixing area is a concentrated amount of that color and they control how much it affects the gallon or quart by the amount they shoot into the can.

But when you are mixing two cans of paint the color is not as concentrated. That was why I mentioned to the other chap about getting them to shoot a shot of black into the can AT THE PAINT STORE - at the mixing station - so that he gets the concentrated black added to his paint as a darkener.

But from what I was reading above... the chap was able to get the color he wanted by just adding some black paint to his can of green paint.

Here's a little update : Home Depot sells a small tube of BLACK TINT. The tube is about the size of the creme hardener tube that comes with Bondo or other body patching materials. It is super concentrated. I put ONE LOUSY DROP into roughly 1/2 quart of Fire Red and it turned the WHOLE FRIGGIN CAN brown. Now this is great news if you want a fantastic and unique brown on your car ( something like a terra cotta pot with a high gloss on it )... But if you are looking for the secret to the darker red... well black paint and the black tint are definitely no goes..

I guess I will just have to accept the Fire Red as it is..

Last edited by Marq; 06/22/06 02:19 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #24775
06/22/06 10:40 AM
06/22/06 10:40 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Marq,

From the link that Cal96 posted, Red + Black = Brown. Maybee some other color will make it darker. Good luck.

*edit: From what I read, you may want to try mixing brown to make a darker red.

Last edited by Smite; 06/22/06 11:03 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24776
06/22/06 11:36 AM
06/22/06 11:36 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I can't find any store that carries quarts or gallons of Navy Blue (Royal blue is too light for my tastes), so I'm thinking of using a tinted store brand. Lowes carries tintable akyld and acrylic enamels, which kind should I be using?

http://dragosupply.com/drago/servlet/CyberVendor/category/G4501296/catalog/group.jsp/

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24777
06/22/06 03:27 PM
06/22/06 03:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi All,
Here's where I'm at--three thin coats of white Rustoleum professional, wetsand with 800, one thin coat more, going two more coats then let it "dry," "harden for a month," then wetsand with 1500 or 2000 and polish, then clearcoat. Only on the trunk so far, will try to post pictures tonight. I have to say, even after seeing others fine work, that I am pleasantly and completely surprised so far.
2 questions
1) How are others working around edges/how can I get under/around weatherseal/trim?
2) Is there a uv protection clear coat that I can spray on?

Will try to post the pics tonight.
In my mind the before/after pics really do this technique justice.

Page 16 of 159 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 158 159