04/05/18 06:49 PM
04/05/18 06:49 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

I agree with BradH and AndyF (good company to keep) and have one thing to add: Most of the discussion of "will it knock" or "does it knock" are based on hearing the knocking.

At higher engine speeds at wide open throttle the engine is making so much noise that one cannot discern the knock. If we were to use knock sensors as the only method to tell whether or not the engine was knocking, people might have a completely different understanding of how and why and when knock occurs.

Over the years there have been several posts with pictures of destroyed parts with the evidence from bearing markings clearly pointing to detonation as the cause. Yet, the empirical data is reported as "the engine wasn't knocking". That's because with a big cam below the torque peak enough cylinder pressure bled off to avoid knock. After the torque peak when ram tuning starts to have an effect, knock occurs but isn't noticed.

R.

Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: BradH] #2478028
04/05/18 08:51 PM
04/05/18 08:51 PM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
Lookie here at whats screwed into the side of the block behind the motor mount.
Look at the factory cap milled down with a strap across it. Notice the factory forged crank, and stock block.
How much power do you believe it could have made, for how many passes and heavy road use over years and years? Could this run on pump gas with the right cam? I wonder why most people on here can break a block at 600 hp when I reliably made over 1000?

tanning bed 021.jpg
Last edited by TRENDZ; 04/05/18 08:52 PM.

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"
Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: TRENDZ] #2478037
04/05/18 09:11 PM
04/05/18 09:11 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
Thanks, haven't seen that done in centuries.
Is the strap pre-loaded to anticipate ovalling under severe stress? I've seen references to .002" pre-load applied to the center span using shims, or a large fine thread jacking screw in the center of the strap. Fuel bikes used to hold the entire engine down by jacking against the frame above it.

The knock frequency (cycles per second) of actual combustion-related pressure spikes is definitely different from valve lash clatter, valve head ringing, chain roller, skirt slap, etc. and there are commercially available sensors in different frequencies to make sure retard is not triggered by something else. IDK how to determine the best for any specific engine, but probably many large V8s will be similar.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: BradH] #2478057
04/05/18 09:48 PM
04/05/18 09:48 PM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
No preload just flat. My intention was to keep the crank in the block if I had a cap failure. Never an issue with the caps. Bearings were inspected and replaced every 2 years.

The Ecu was electromotive. Now a very archaic system, they were ahead of their time when I was using it. ( not without problems)
I could get reliable knock signatures up to around 4500 rpm. Ecu could not log fast enough for any reliable data beyond that.
That engine had 5 different cams in it. Different combos of cams/ lash / pressure ratios, made huge differences with what I could get away with. This is with real data, from spending my own money on my own car. I always believed that it was mainly due to exhaust contamination... willing to reconsider that theory, but not abandon it completely.

I have a friend with a dyno set up for aircraft engines. Can’t get into what he does, but he has in-cylinder high speed transducers for setting timing curves at “lean of peak” on lyco engs. Very neat to be able to visualize knock coming in. These are very expensive spark plugs!
The sensors are some of the fastest reacting, yet still are only accurate at lowere engine speeds(fine for prop aircraft engines)

Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: BradH] #2478237
04/06/18 10:58 AM
04/06/18 10:58 AM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Trendz where did you drill/tap for the knock sensor?

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: dogdays] #2478360
04/06/18 03:57 PM
04/06/18 03:57 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline OP
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline OP
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Originally Posted By dogdays
I agree with BradH... (good company to keep)...

Depending upon who you ask, that opinion might get you on somebody's hate list.

Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: GTX MATT] #2478409
04/06/18 05:28 PM
04/06/18 05:28 PM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
Originally Posted By GTX MATT
Trendz where did you drill/tap for the knock sensor?

Just used the water drain hole. The theaded portion of the sensor is only a mount, there is no pass through. As long as the sensor is touching the material you are trying to listen to, it will work. Sort of like putting your ear to a screwdiver that is in contact with something noisy.

Brad, if you are referring to me, I assure you you are not on my hate list! Much respect for anyones opinion here. Nobody is ever 100% right or wrong.

Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: TRENDZ] #2478427
04/06/18 06:10 PM
04/06/18 06:10 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Online content
Still wishing...
Twostick  Online Content
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Originally Posted By TRENDZ
Look at the factory cap milled down with a strap across it. Notice the factory forged crank, and stock block.
How much power do you believe it could have made, for how many passes and heavy road use over years and years? Could this run on pump gas with the right cam? I wonder why most people on here can break a block at 600 hp when I reliably made over 1000?

Timing is everything...

Kevin

Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: TRENDZ] #2478469
04/06/18 07:57 PM
04/06/18 07:57 PM
Mopar Country, Mi
ccdave Offline
The Ultimate
ccdave  Offline
The Ultimate

Mopar Country, Mi

YOU MILLED DOWN THE FACTORY CAP AND PUT A METAL STRAP ACROSS IT tsk

Shame on you for thinking out of the box and posting that modification on Moparts whistling

Nice mods up

It’s refreshing to see different modifications other than what’s typically seen here up

Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: polyspheric] #2478480
04/06/18 08:17 PM
04/06/18 08:17 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
dynamic cr will make, or break a combo. it's true. [/i]calculating[/i] it accurately is just about impossible, and i suspect, therein lies the crux of your grievance. 10 engine builders will give you 10 different sets of parameters for accurately measuring it. sorry, but it's actually super important.

Last edited by maximum entropy; 04/06/18 08:17 PM.

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: Sport440] #2478501
04/06/18 09:34 PM
04/06/18 09:34 PM
Ste-Sophie, Quebec, Canada
W
Wedgeman Offline
pro stock
Wedgeman  Offline
pro stock
W

Ste-Sophie, Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By Sport440
Originally Posted By dizuster
You can't say that static compression ratio and IVC matter to detonation in one breath, and then say Dynamic Compression ratio doesn't mean ZIP in the next... since obviously the two biggest parameters to dynamic compression ratio ARE static compression ratio and IVC! You can try and spin what you said and what you meant anyway you want. In the end you can't un-tie SCR, DCR, and IVC from interacting.

No one said Dynamic Compression ratio was the ONLY build parameter that effects octane requirements either. But its a useful guideline just like everything else we use to try and build better motors.

One CSA of a head won't tell you peak RPM. One .050" duration number won't tell you peak RPM. One quench number won't guaranty detonation free operation. Yet we still use them as useful tools and guidance to build better motors.

At any rate... while dynamic compression ratio might not be the end all be all to tell you what octane you'd need... it's a HELL of a lot better then just saying you can only go to 10:1 and ignoring the cam.

Well said, and I iagree

Totally agree !! These are the first steps I take to figure out hhow the engine will react..a hell of a good picture at least !

Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: ccdave] #2478573
04/06/18 11:53 PM
04/06/18 11:53 PM
P
Porter67 Offline
master
Porter67  Offline
master
P

Alot of good info posted but also as posted I think its just another factor in a whole mixed bag of factors in the total build.

Ive always tried to pick the minds of the racers who are currently/actively racing and winning at it. B cause they be doing somting right.

We started doing that in the early 80-s with our SS pulling tractor 466/6 blocks they have the bottom end design just like a BB mopar.

We machined all flush with a hint off the pan rail and ran an 1 inch thick al plate with long long bolts to absorb some of the shock.

Originally Posted By ccdave

Shame on you for thinking out of the box and posting that modification on Moparts whistling

Nice mods up

It’s refreshing to see different modifications other than what’s typically seen here up

Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: TRENDZ] #2478761
04/07/18 10:52 AM
04/07/18 10:52 AM
Plymouth, MI
Blusmbl Offline
master
Blusmbl  Offline
master

Plymouth, MI
I have a friend with a dyno set up for aircraft engines. Can’t get into what he does, but he has in-cylinder high speed transducers for setting timing curves at “lean of peak” on lyco engs. Very neat to be able to visualize knock coming in. These are very expensive spark plugs!
The sensors are some of the fastest reacting, yet still are only accurate at lower engine speeds(fine for prop aircraft engines)

The spark plug transducers definitely have accuracy issues at higher engine speeds. There are also transducers available that are designed to be installed in specially machined cylinder heads, those are accurate at higher rpm than the spark plug versions. It's really awesome technology, but it's usually into the hundreds of thousands of dollars range to get an engine set up with it.

https://www.kistler.com/en/applications/...essure-testing/

https://www.avl.com/-/all-in-one-indicating-systems

'18 Ford Raptor, random motorcycles, 1968 Plymouth Fury III - 11.37 @ 118
Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: ccdave] #2478768
04/07/18 11:15 AM
04/07/18 11:15 AM
The Great White North
RAMM Offline
super stock
RAMM  Offline
super stock

The Great White North
Originally Posted By ccdave

Nice mods up

The aluminum straps were left .002" proud for some squish. J.Rob

arp-fastners.jpg

2009 PHR\EMC Competitor
2010 PHR\EMC Competitor
2011 PHR\EMC Competitor
2012 PHR\EMC Competitor
2013 PHR\EMC Competitor
2014 HotRod/EMC Competitor
2015 HotRod/EMC NoShow
2016 HotRod/EMC 3rd place SPEC Bigblock
2018 HotRod/EMC 7th place G3
Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: RAMM] #2478828
04/07/18 01:44 PM
04/07/18 01:44 PM
Mopar Country, Mi
ccdave Offline
The Ultimate
ccdave  Offline
The Ultimate

Mopar Country, Mi
Very nice JRob but I wouldn’t use those springs with that rocker tsk

Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: Blusmbl] #2478854
04/07/18 03:03 PM
04/07/18 03:03 PM
Trumbauersville PA
ric3xrt Offline
pro stock
ric3xrt  Offline
pro stock

Trumbauersville PA
Originally Posted By Blusmbl
The sensors are some of the fastest reacting, yet still are only accurate at lower engine speeds(fine for prop aircraft engines)

The spark plug transducers definitely have accuracy issues at higher engine speeds. There are also transducers available that are designed to be installed in specially machined cylinder heads, those are accurate at higher rpm than the spark plug versions. It's really awesome technology, but it's usually into the hundreds of thousands of dollars range to get an engine set up with it.

https://www.kistler.com/en/applications/...essure-testing/

https://www.avl.com/-/all-in-one-indicating-systems

We use AVL's systems when we do long tern duration and endurance engine testing. for both aerospace and auto manufactures.
Amazing tech,

Truth has no agenda, but those with an agenda make their own truth.
Some of us are so open minded they only see their View

Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: BradH] #2478874
04/07/18 03:35 PM
04/07/18 03:35 PM
usa
L
lewtot184 Offline
master
lewtot184  Offline
master
L

usa
anybody recall seeing the pictures of flat head fords with the straps across the main caps?

Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: lewtot184] #2479235
04/08/18 04:25 AM
04/08/18 04:25 AM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
I don't buy in to it, if you asked a Nascar or Pro Stock engine builder if they looked in to it, the answer would be no.

There was a discussion regarding it on one of the Racing Engine discussion groups on Facebook about the very subject recently, it was an interesting read.

Alan Jones
Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: BradH] #2479265
04/08/18 09:56 AM
04/08/18 09:56 AM
back in Georgia
dthemi Offline
master
dthemi  Offline
master

back in Georgia
Something interesting to me is static compression ratio and efficiency.

Prostock engines aren't much more than 14:1 static, since they fill the cylinder so well. VS normal stuff that will make more power at 16.5 static because they can't get enough in the chamber.

Re: "Dynamic Comp Ratio" doesn't mean ZIP!!! [Re: dthemi] #2480002
04/09/18 02:55 PM
04/09/18 02:55 PM
long time lurker, short time p...
P
PorkyPig Offline
mopar
PorkyPig  Offline
mopar
P

long time lurker, short time p...
Here's another company that sells cylinder pressure testing equipment that is used with race engines. http://www.tfxengine.com/index.html

Click on the graph of the pressure chart to see more details of what is measured.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3