06/18/06 01:00 PM
06/18/06 01:00 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
scotts67 - i really like the color, blue is my favorite color, nice work.

nice job too stuff215, that looks killer.

i did try a long time ago with one of those wagner spray guns, about 3 yrs ago and i went with the top of the line one, and i was'nt too thrilled with it, you still get the mess, smell and battle dust/dirt/hair. the one issue i had with that gun was keeping it consistent, i would spray globs after i'm done like painting 1/2 of the car, and then i'd have to stop, clean the gun, and continue, and leave that pannel to dry and fis the globs/runs that it left behind. when it did work it worked great, but it left more work to fix it when it started spitting. i exchanged it for another one, it did the same thing, then i returned it and continued with the roller.

the one thing about using the roller, is that after you get the hang of it, and can apply smooth thin coats, it's a walk in the park. it is soo easy to do with the roller, no mess, no fuss, you can really accurately cut in the hood, have a break, to the fender, take another break, and continue on, and not have a gun to clean, all the over spray, tape up the whole car, ect....allthough i did notice spraying the paint with a hvlp gun did result in very little overspray when compared to the single stage auto paints i've sprayed, that basically gets paint on everything your own, and your picking snoot out of your nose for weeks colored in the paint you sprayed with!!! and that's even with a resperator!!.

i'll stick with the roller, if you get the hang of the roller, you'll know what i mean, best is to practice on anything, old hood is the best, and prefect the tequnique, and thinning of the paint. but it's a skill, either you have it or you don't, it's like playing a insturment, to some people it comes naturally, some can't play anything no matter how hard they try.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24719
06/18/06 06:47 PM
06/18/06 06:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Looks good there. Yes according to the tremclad page 27009 Medium Blue is definatly brighter than royal Blue 7727

It looks more like rustoleums' 7524 Safety Blue and mayber brighter.

Tho the blue is looking great on all the cars that chose it. It's reinforcing my decision to paint it blue. Royal Blue-

I will pick up a quart today and see for myself. I do hope it comes out the same color as scotts...

I will post pics very soon as I continue to sand my car down with 400. And the test peice... a set of JDM power folding mirrors for my Lucino conversion. (aka turning a sentra into it's japan counter part)

If this method works well for me I will be re-painting my fastback. =)

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24720
06/18/06 07:47 PM
06/18/06 07:47 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
That test piece sounds like you will get practice in polishing and sanding, but with something as small as mirrors, the technique to apply thin coats to a flat surface is not really going to be practiced (unless you are just seeing how the color looks?).

With something that small, try getting the roller nearly empty or the roller will hit one of the edges/contours and dump a lot of paint in that one spot.

Best piece is a large flat panel, either a hood or preferably something you can put so the surface is perpendicular to the ground (i.e., not laying flat) as the sides of a car are where runs occur if the technique isn't right.

Last edited by Exit1965; 06/18/06 07:48 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24721
06/18/06 08:30 PM
06/18/06 08:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How much should I thin the paint? LIke how much to cut it down with? 50/50 mix or 90/10? And does each batch of thinning make a diff? should the thinning be measured so I can duplicate it each time?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24722
06/18/06 08:33 PM
06/18/06 08:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I see. Besides wanting to see how it would look as far as color I wanted to see how it would polish out. I do know that it would be easier to paint a non-daily driven car as yours when it comes to stripping and such. But I dont have that possibility.

I have to tackle it outside. For the mean time however should I take out the fender to paint first instead of the mirrors? Or perhaps even the front bumper?

thanks for your suggestions Exit. How's everything on your end?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24723
06/19/06 12:48 AM
06/19/06 12:48 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
The fender would be a good place to start. Once most of the paint is out of the roller you can roll the mirrors and not worry about getting too much paint on them.

On my end, things are OK, just applied another coat. It's getting there. It's also starting to be consistently hot over here so I'm working in a garage about 94 degrees. Soon it'll be done..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24724
06/19/06 12:50 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

How much should I thin the paint? LIke how much to cut it down with? 50/50 mix or 90/10? And does each batch of thinning make a diff? should the thinning be measured so I can duplicate it each time?

You'll just want to mix it until it flows really easily, something like regular milk, maybe a tad thicker. After a few times you'll know what works right, what goes on smooth with minimal bubbles and does not run. Start with maybe 30 percent I would guess.. (?)

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24725
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Quote:

The fender would be a good place to start. Once most of the paint is out of the roller you can roll the mirrors and not worry about getting too much paint on them.

On my end, things are OK, just applied another coat. It's getting there. It's also starting to be consistently hot over here so I'm working in a garage about 94 degrees. Soon it'll be done..

pics, pics, pics, pics

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: roe] #24726
06/19/06 01:56 AM
06/19/06 01:56 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

More on the sanding and applying Clearcoat. I had a quick chance to do a test on the rear panel of my car today. (it was quick) but the results were nice. took and wetsanded what is the 6th coat and wiped down. I had on old can of Trem Clear and gave it 2 quick sprays. This is definatly they way I'm going to go after my last coat. Got to get some Clear in a 1L can. I could prob do the whole car with 4 spray cans of clear as well.

2708333-82vw008.jpg (597 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24727
06/19/06 02:04 AM
06/19/06 02:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

here is the pic after second shot of clear. The stuff drys real fast as well little bugs had no time to get stuck as it dryed before they had time to find the sprayed spot.

2708338-82vw010.jpg (783 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24728
06/19/06 03:43 AM
06/19/06 03:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ok .. so heres the million dollar question.. i have a pontiac fiero and well as some of you guys may or may not know, the body is plastic. its really starting to become faded and i want to get it painted badly. i like the idea you guys have, the only problem i have with it... will it work on plastic... metal i would have no problem, but my car is all plastic, gotta love pontiac. pieces are super easy to take off.. all the body panels come off seperatly. which makes it so much easier for painting, but the problem i run into is i dont know if it will work on plastic.... anyone done it or tried it???
(below is a picture of what the car looks like roughly, not my car though.)(sorry for spelling errors)

i would liek to get a shiny look to it.. almost liek a candy... liek this..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24729
06/19/06 06:38 AM
06/19/06 06:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, I've started the prep work, but have one last question. People have said (after sanding, prep work I mean) that it feels like glass, is that the basic kind of feel I'm going for after doing the prep sanding?

Just to give a descriptive idea of what it actually looks like, his hatch was red, no fading on it, now when I sanded down the hood with 150 grit its pretty much a dusty white with some red, not much though and does feel really smooth like glass after wiping it down.

Thats what I should be aiming for correct?

And we are taking pictures of our project, so once we actually get to the painting, will post some pictures and any tips or errors we run into.

Thanks, Matt.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24730
06/19/06 07:56 AM
06/19/06 07:56 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
I started with a 220 grit... and that seemed to give a pretty smooth surface to lay the first coats down on. From then on I used 600 grit or 800 grit for leveling the layers. The final layers will end up being wet sanded with a progression of 1000, 1200 or 1500 and then ending up with a 2000.

150 may be okay for ripping down the initial layer but I would be tempted to do a 220 or even a 600 just to remove or level out any of the scoring that a 150 would have left. It just makes it that much easier for the first coat of paint to go on smoothly and not find the paint trying to fill in the scoring to get the initial coat level.

Dunno... someone else may find 150 a good place to start....

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24731
06/19/06 08:05 AM
06/19/06 08:05 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
I don't think you should have any problem with the paint reacting with the plastic of a Fiero.

The paint appears to have no problem with compatibility on plastic bumpers, moldings etc on other cars.

BUT... maybe the smartest thing to do would be to do a test piece. You can probably find some section of a Fiero at the auto wreckers / recyclers. You could do a full out test on that piece and take it to one or two complete sequences of the process.

The only reason I am a little hesitant about giving a 100% thumbs up to going ahead without a test piece is that the type of plastic used in Fiero bodies is a bit of an unknown... Even if you were to test out the process on just one of your own piece. you will be assuring yourself that there won't be any adverse reactions when the mineral spirits and paint start accumulating on the body parts.

I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that Fiero's are handled any differently at body shops then say a starndard car. So I think you will be able to use the process with success... but do a 'test' piece just to assure yourself ( and to help develop your technique )

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24732
06/19/06 09:54 AM
06/19/06 09:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Well, I've started the prep work, but have one last question. People have said (after sanding, prep work I mean) that it feels like glass, is that the basic kind of feel I'm going for after doing the prep sanding?

Just to give a descriptive idea of what it actually looks like, his hatch was red, no fading on it, now when I sanded down the hood with 150 grit its pretty much a dusty white with some red, not much though and does feel really smooth like glass after wiping it down.

Thats what I should be aiming for correct?

And we are taking pictures of our project, so once we actually get to the painting, will post some pictures and any tips or errors we run into.

Thanks, Matt.

wat they mean by "glass" is when u appl ur first coat of paint, it will be this glossy thin layer of paint that will be see through. when u prep the car make sure u wash the car down then dry it wiht lint free cloth then get some sort of wax/grease remover and go over the whole car or ur paint area then start the paint process.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24733
06/19/06 01:45 PM
06/19/06 01:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

alright so you guys got me hooked.. i really wanna do this now.. so heres the del i got an extra door skin lying around so ill try it on tat and if all goes well ill do the car. approximately how long is it(its kinda my daily driver and my baby, jsut got the collector plates for it).. and if you could, can you do a step by step process. ive never painted a whole car, just a few simple parts. seeing as my panels are removable, i will prolly take them off and paint them seperatly. but if someon could do a step by step procces, tell me everythign i need, and were in the usa i can possibly get the supplies i will be all ready to go..
thanks
matt

ps u guys rule

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24734
06/19/06 02:57 PM
06/19/06 02:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

alright so you guys got me hooked.. i really wanna do this now.. so heres the del i got an extra door skin lying around so ill try it on tat and if all goes well ill do the car. approximately how long is it(its kinda my daily driver and my baby, jsut got the collector plates for it).. and if you could, can you do a step by step process. ive never painted a whole car, just a few simple parts. seeing as my panels are removable, i will prolly take them off and paint them seperatly. but if someon could do a step by step procces, tell me everythign i need, and were in the usa i can possibly get the supplies i will be all ready to go..
thanks
matt

ps u guys rule

its all in the forums. i think the mods need to sticky a thread for the process or have an FAQ section LoL.

basically prep ur car, fix dings (if u konw how) and remove rust by sanding the car with a da 80grit. then go over with 120 then maybe something high like 400 range. so its a nice and smooth then tape off ur car, thin the paint until like water or some ppl are doing 30% mineral sprit and the rest paint, then paint it on using thin coats...verry thin, first few coats u'll be able to see through the paint. until about the 4th or 5th coat it'll start to hide and dont forget to wetsand between every 2 coats. once painted the desired amount of coats let the paint dry/cure for a day or 2 then u can either wax or let it dry for longer then spray on gloss clear coat then wax that.

im sure u konw wat supplies to use? if not i encourage u to read all 44 plus pages :P so u konw wat everyone did and wat u could do to make it work for u. u can spray it or roll it. process will take a few days to a week.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24735
06/19/06 02:58 PM
06/19/06 02:58 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

thanks
matt

ps u guys rule

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24736
06/19/06 06:08 PM
06/19/06 06:08 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Hey guys, here are some pics i just uploaded, dial-up beware, big high res pics get a and enjoy.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/new%20paint%20pics/

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24737
06/20/06 01:03 AM
06/20/06 01:03 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

exit, i jsut wanted to know, what paint did u finally decide to go with, what ended up working out for you i got to page 30 or so on the other post and after reading for about 4 hours today and 2 yesterday, i jsut cant take much more.. i really like the color you have on it, the other question i had is do they make the apple red metallic in quarts or gallons at all?? becuse i think that would give the car a nice look. im deciding between those two for my test peice and if all goes well i will do the whole car.

thanks,hopefuly u rustoleum gods will have an answer

Page 14 of 159 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 158 159