05/31/06 05:45 PM
05/31/06 05:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Exit I would kill for that shine on mine- Don't do it!

Found this post on Fordsix.com, literally as I was about to hit a $300 budget place for my 64 Comet 404.

CHARGER 69 you deserve a tickertape parade. Thanks a million for showing everybody this.

While I need to do a lot more wetsanding and have a lot of rollermarks, I'm really happy with the results so far, here's some before and after pics (6 coats, not polished yet).

That's ROYAL BLUE, it's a little darker than in pictures. Great website, thanks everybody

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24499
05/31/06 06:34 PM
05/31/06 06:34 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

i agree, exit, are you sure your not just seeing it worse than it really is? bacause your starring at it up close, and know every flaw on your paint??? try getting the wife to have a look at it, they're really good at pointing out everything wrong, espically when it's your hobby car!!!!! i'd stick with the red, it looks killer on that car. also when you pull it into the sun, it's a whole different story, trust me, even on my newer cars with BC/CC, you see flaws in the paint in the garage.

how does this paint maintain shine if nothing is done to it? thinking of just finishing the red job and leaving it and not doing any sanding or polishing on it since it seems to look good like that. eventually it will probably need to be at least polished though right?

if you just polish with the turtlewax polishing compound, and then wax, it will look great, and alot more shiny with the polish and wax than just paint alone.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24500
05/31/06 07:40 PM
05/31/06 07:40 PM
Myrtle Beach, SC formerly the ...
340wedge Offline
master
340wedge  Offline
master

Myrtle Beach, SC formerly the ...
Looks great, but can you get these paints in any colors or just there own colors they make?

1971 Sassy Grass Green Duster 340
2006 Charger Daytona GoMango
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 340wedge] #24501
05/31/06 09:18 PM
05/31/06 09:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Looks great, but can you get these paints in any colors or just there own colors they make?

You can't color match the Rustoleum, from what HD told me.. because it isnt setup in the computer like that. They do sell tintable bases (Masstone, Yellow, Red, and Pastel) but it is being discontinued. The tintable bases were used for mixing to preselected color choices. There were maybe 100 different colors to pick from, I think. I still have one of the pamphlets.

Not sure if anyone noticed- but all of the rustoleum colors seem to have a prefaded look to them.. like if they had been bleached by the sun.. with a few acceptions ofcourse- like black and yellows.. but things like the Regal Red remind me of an old weathered mailbox where the sun and dirt transformed the orignal color over time.

I really wanted that Apple Red color that comes in their interior "Painters Touch" (something like that) line. If you can find the Tintable Red then you can have it made in oil based.

Also, when Rustoleum says that their professional lines are more resistance to chipping, does that mean there are more softeners in it? I am using the tintable "stops-rust".. not sure where that weights in on durablity. Seems tough.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24502
05/31/06 10:06 PM
05/31/06 10:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can somebody answer a question really quick? I know the answer is in the older thread, but after going through pages and pages I couldn't find it -- and I have to go someplace right now and can't look through the rest of the pages.

Anyways...on my first test piece I did 2 coats in yellow and it looked awesome. No problems with bubbles. It really seemed like I had a lot of room for error with the amount of mineral spirits I could put in. But the dry Arizona air might have helped with all of this. Anyways, after 2 coats I wet sanded with 1500 grit until it it "felt" smooth to the touch. But obviously it looked flat.

So I did another 2 coats like I'm supposed to and just sanded it again with 1500. But it's flat looking again.

When I get to coat 6...I was planning on wetsanding with 2000 and then polishing with this electric orbital buffer I bought today. Is that the proper procedure? I know I probably should have sanded with 800 after the first coat...but too late for that now...if I do the 2000 and then the polishing compound is that the right procedure for me to get it to shine? I just want to double check before I go putting more paint and such on.

Thanks guys!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24503
05/31/06 10:13 PM
05/31/06 10:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I shouldnt answer this because I screwed up on my body.. but I did do it right on my gndfx and mirrors and it came out flawless. Anyway, the mirrors and gndfx, after I did the final coat, I sanded with 1000 then 1500 then 2000. The 1000 really does a great job cleaning everything up. It is much harder just using 1500.. and doing it with 2000.. arf.. sucks, trust me... I sanded the body twice with 2000 and then went back and actually _read_ the posts and saw I screwed up.. d'oh! waste of time and effort.

Anyway, someone else should answer this. Just dont do what I did or you will regret it a bit :P

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24504
05/31/06 10:41 PM
05/31/06 10:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hmm, strange.. I went to use the turtle wax polish on my gndfx and mirrors and I didnt have a lot of paste left (fell off the car and landed upside-down so I had to remove a lot).. anyway, I used a new bonnet.. so it wasnt saturated.. usually get good results when it is loaded.. anyway, buffed and it didnt come out anywhere as good as the car or the spoiler I tested :S kind of hazy it seems ... on the body and test piece I used gobs of the paste and it seemed to be working.. going to buy more tomorrow and see if I can fix the gndfx up.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24505
05/31/06 11:40 PM
05/31/06 11:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Can somebody answer a question really quick? I know the answer is in the older thread, but after going through pages and pages I couldn't find it -- and I have to go someplace right now and can't look through the rest of the pages.

Anyways...on my first test piece I did 2 coats in yellow and it looked awesome. No problems with bubbles. It really seemed like I had a lot of room for error with the amount of mineral spirits I could put in. But the dry Arizona air might have helped with all of this. Anyways, after 2 coats I wet sanded with 1500 grit until it it "felt" smooth to the touch. But obviously it looked flat.

So I did another 2 coats like I'm supposed to and just sanded it again with 1500. But it's flat looking again.

When I get to coat 6...I was planning on wetsanding with 2000 and then polishing with this electric orbital buffer I bought today. Is that the proper procedure? I know I probably should have sanded with 800 after the first coat...but too late for that now...if I do the 2000 and then the polishing compound is that the right procedure for me to get it to shine? I just want to double check before I go putting more paint and such on.

Thanks guys!

I took some pictures so you guys can see what I'm talking about. See how it's...like...bumpyish? Well, I guess it feels smooth...but...what do I do?

Sand it down until that goes away? Or is it just fine?

It's not as bad as it looks where the light is reflecting...look at the other areas besides that.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24506
05/31/06 11:55 PM
05/31/06 11:55 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
I'd definately go back to a lower grade of sandpaper and sand that until it went away. As for the issue of people getting hazyness and stuff when buffing, has anybody tried painting a panel or something, then spraying it with clearcoat? I've seen that clear coat is sold in spray cans, mask and do the whole car with it, then wetsand and buff the clearcoat? Should help protect the paint seeing as the clear coat should harden better than the paint???

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24507
06/01/06 01:30 AM
06/01/06 01:30 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Try forcing a cure on a spot with a heat lamp or heat gun etc., and see if it hardens enough to accept the polishing correctly. Heat and cool it a few times over a few days and then see how it goes......just a suggestion.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24508
06/01/06 07:13 PM
06/01/06 07:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

another thread eh..man your a popular man, ill post some pics of my car within the next few days, i havent even wetsanded yet, it already looks great, i cleaned my chorme up (lincoln lsc) ill get pics, [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] i love this thread and im glad i found it, i get compliments already and its not even done..lol

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #24509
06/02/06 12:00 AM
06/02/06 12:00 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm wondering if you could do the 1500/2000 grit wetsand on final coat and then wipe with mineral spirits and Clearcoat without the polish. I'm willing to try but have to get body work done. Painting starts this weekend

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24510
06/02/06 12:41 AM
06/02/06 12:41 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

I'm wondering if you could do the 1500/2000 grit wetsand on final coat and then wipe with mineral spirits and Clearcoat without the polish. I'm willing to try but have to get body work done. Painting starts this weekend

Are you talking about rustoleum clearcoat or a hardened automotive clear coat?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24511
06/02/06 01:12 AM
06/02/06 01:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'd be using the Tremclad clearcoat to try that test. I assume the Rusto and Trem clears are the same. I dunno about the Automotive clears Prob best to stick with the same brand right through the job.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24512
06/02/06 02:44 AM
06/02/06 02:44 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow, you guys scared me! I was the last to post on the old thread and kept checking back for replies and saw nothing, so I figured I had killed the thread.

What I wanted to say was that I am experimenting with “Varathane Colours” plastic enamel. I went to choose the colour for my car tonight and saw this product so I purchased a small pot to try. Made by the same people who make Tremclad/Rustoleum. Claims are for durability, suitability for exterior and marine use. They actually indicate it can be used on boats. It’s not tintable so you are stuck with limited colour choices.

I am comparing it head to head with Tremclad.

I thinned it 10% with mineral spirits as suggested on the package. I used a syringe to measure out all portions precisely. The dark blue I chose covered in one coat and produced a very glossy solid surface. Tomorrow I will know more but I am very impressed so far.

The Tremclad (white) was thinned 20% as recommended on this forum. It was thinner, much closer to a water like consistency. Only one coat but it was looking spotty, showing potential orange peel. I hope the high humidity today didn’t cause this.

The surface tested was an old car door sanded with 220 grit. I used the same foam rollers suggested, as was the mineral spirits, all purchased at Home Depot. Both paints produced a surprising amount of bubbles when first rolled out but the Varathane was in the end smoother.

My experiments will continue after the weekend as I am going fishing tomorrow.

On another note I saw a product with the odd name “Japan Dryer” which claims to harden all oil based paints. A Google search turned up little. Perhaps something worth trying.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24513
06/02/06 09:27 AM
06/02/06 09:27 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Apparently japan dryer is a powder added to speed up drying time of oil based paints. I dont know if thise would get it any harder, just make it get to it's final hardness faster?

they sell it here. i have also read that people used to get it at home depot.
http://www.builderdepot.com/seo/WMBARRCOINC_BM/251649_PJD40_PINT_JAPAN_DRIER.ihtml

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24514
06/02/06 10:50 AM
06/02/06 10:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Senna,

It took me awhile to find it aswell, it wasn't until I was going to make a comment that it was odd no one had posted over the US long weekend, and realized that I couldn't post. I edit my post (2nd last) with the link to this new thread, but since you have the last post maybee you should edit your last post to link over to here (with a comment), so if anyone else has the same problem it will be easier to realise and find the new thread.

Smite

Last edited by Smite; 06/02/06 10:57 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24515
06/02/06 11:34 AM
06/02/06 11:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I took some pictures so you guys can see what I'm talking about. See how it's...like...bumpyish? Well, I guess it feels smooth...but...what do I do?

Sand it down until that goes away? Or is it just fine?

My hood looked very similar to that, and I ended up sanding off several coats to make it flat again. My problem was laying it on too thick the first few coats; now I'm doing ultra thin coats and am very paranoid about making sure it's nice and smooth. It looked OK until you saw a light reflect off it and then you saw tons and tons of orange peel... just wasn't going to cut it for me.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24516
06/02/06 11:58 AM
06/02/06 11:58 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

My hood looked very similar to that, and I ended up sanding off several coats to make it flat again. My problem was laying it on too thick the first few coats; now I'm doing ultra thin coats and am very paranoid about making sure it's nice and smooth. It looked OK until you saw a light reflect off it and then you saw tons and tons of orange peel... just wasn't going to cut it for me.

So basically wet sand until that goes away (i.e. really smooth) and then just paint even thinner layers? I'll try that this afternoon.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24517
06/02/06 12:22 PM
06/02/06 12:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey all,

I was referred to this thread from Customtacos.com
I have a 99 Tacoma that has red oxidized paint and is faded to hell. I have just a few questions. I'm completely new to this stuff and was wondering if you used your hands to sand or a machine. Also, how do I "wet" sand? I'm about to go to home depot to pick up all the stuff I need to do this. I don't know if I'm going to use a test piece. I just want to start painting after prep. So I prep my truck by sanding it down with 800 grit sandpaper first, then I can immediately start painting. Please give some tips for a complete noob.

Thanks

Page 3 of 159 1 2 3 4 5 158 159