S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Originally Posted By EV2RUNNER
Ok here's what the issue was guys, the large ground wire that went from the battery terminal to the head was broken inside the insulation on the battery terminal side. We replaced the cable and she turned right over. Thanks for the replies

Always great when a member reports success on a problem resolution.

Re: Dead short? [Re: Sxrxrnr] #2268526
03/13/17 12:00 PM
03/13/17 12:00 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted By Sxrxrnr
Originally Posted By EV2RUNNER
Ok here's what the issue was guys, the large ground wire that went from the battery terminal to the head was broken inside the insulation on the battery terminal side. We replaced the cable and she turned right over. Thanks for the replies

Always great when a member reports success on a problem resolution.

X 2 beer

Re: Dead short? [Re: EV2RUNNER] #2270047
03/15/17 04:16 PM
03/15/17 04:16 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Really what you should do is voltage drop test on the starter system first. As long as you or who ever does it knows how to do the voltage drop test it will tell you all you need to know. Its actually very easy to do but you would be surprised how many techs out there (including the shop foreman at a dodge dealer I helped) dont know how to do the voltage drop test as all you need is a voltmeter. You just parallel the circuit with the voltmeter in the area you need to test. You want to see no more then about .5 volt even on the starter system. The more volts its read it means there is a bad connection in the part you are testing since the voltmeter is showing the volts it means its not pushing enough current through the circuit. Basically you want as low a volts reading as it can get because when you parallel the circuit with the voltmeter if all the voltage is used in pushing current through the circuit pretty much none will read on the voltmeter as its all used in the circuit. Just put a + voltmeter lead on the eng block and the - voltmeter lead on the battery ground post and then try to crank the eng. With a good charged battery you should see about 1/2 a volt or less in a good ground circuit. If its higher like 3 volts and up it has a bad ground somehwere. Do the same on the pos side of the starter circuit as put the voltmeter + lead on the battery + post and the meter - lead on the starter terminal where the battery cable hooks to the starter and see what it reads. Good luck with it. Ron

Oh I see you found it. Good for you glad to hear that.

Last edited by 383man; 03/15/17 04:20 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2