04/02/06 10:11 PM
04/02/06 10:11 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

can you show a pic of what it looks like after sanding? After I wetsanded mine it just turned a flat gray color.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22391
04/02/06 10:14 PM
04/02/06 10:14 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
good work rick, i have only tried mineral spirits, and i've never had issues with bubbles staying and ruining the paint, so i'll stick with the mineral spirits, i have sprayed this paint and it sprays espically nice and much eaiser than any other paint i've ever sprayed. if i had the room i would have sprayed the charger, but the damm thing is too big to fit in the garage!!!!.

exit - definetly the alluminum stuff is really wierd paint, it was fine in the spray can form, but i did notice it acted really funny, not at all like the tremclad paint, i only used it on the wheels of the VW beetles, and it holds up really well but fish-eyed like mad.

one more thing about spraying this paint, it does'nt stink nearly as bad as single stage, and you can get away with alot lower pressure, and it does'nt suspend it's self like single stage paint does, meaning that your garage will not be totally smoked out after 2 mins of spraying.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22392
04/02/06 11:28 PM
04/02/06 11:28 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

can you someone elaborate on what kind of polisher will work? can I use something like this?

Specs:
The RB60K features smooth, random orbital action to allow for a professional, swirl-free finish. Textured soft spray on housing for a comfortable grip.

• Features smooth, random orbital action to allow for a professional, swirl-free finish
• Textured soft spray on housing for a comfortable grip
• Only 7.75 In. tall for a balanced feel
• Fully-contained bearings for maitenance free applicaiton
Internet ID 165404
Brand Ryobi
Model # RB60K
Amperage .5 AMP
Case Included No
Contents 1 applicator bonnet and 1 terry cloth buffing bonnet
Dust Collection No
Sanding Speed-Maximum 4000 OPM
Sanding Speed-Minimum 0 OPM
UPC CODE 033287130412

It's only like 20 bucks. What I want to do tomorrow morning is take a small section that is painted already, sand it with 1500 grit and polish it to see what it will look like.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22393
04/02/06 11:36 PM
04/02/06 11:36 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

could u paint carbon fiber with this? would u have to sand the carbonfiber? and, wat sanders do you guys use to sand away? and canadian tire does tint the paint...so when they take the base and add color in to get the desired color...should i tell them not to shake it and go home and sit for 30 mins just stiring the paint? orr i have this thing "as seen on tv" where u can vaccum seal stuff...can i just put the can in the plastic baggy and then vaccum all the bubbles out?

Last edited by crazygoat; 04/02/06 11:38 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22394
04/02/06 11:40 PM
04/02/06 11:40 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

can you show a pic of what it looks like after sanding? After I wetsanded mine it just turned a flat gray color.

I didnt take any pics after sanding, it looked horrible though - very uneven. Here is a pic before sanding.

I painted over that area, after sanding it down with 240, with this "regal red" color again using penetrol. I found it VERY easy to work with. yes, there were lots of bubbles but they went away on their own and the surface is fairly flat. This is the first coat put on about 20 minutes prior to the picture. Not sure if I want a red Dart or not.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22395
04/02/06 11:47 PM
04/02/06 11:47 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Sure that polisher will work! I am using an old 10" random orbital that you hold with 2 hands. It's not easy for me to use and has a hair trigger which I dont like, I was thinking of picking up one of those 6" Ryobis.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22396
04/03/06 01:22 AM
04/03/06 01:22 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I've been following a thread about this over at hybridz.org, but the thread seems to have died over there. Anyways I've been experimenting this last week with the rustoleum and a cheap airgun.

this is a honda fender i tried a few different methods on before deciding on a method to work best for me. I tried working with the mineral spirits, but found that it took a long, long, time to flash, probably because i had to thin it quite a bit to get it to spray well out of my gun, it also tended to drip down verticle surfaces. The pics shown are rustoleum "regal red" thinned with acetone, it flashed much quicker with the acetone and i found it way easier to work with. It actually came out looking incredibly glossy, but then i messed that up playing with the buffer and polish

This is the next test, its already recieved two coats, but needed a little more rough sanding to smooth it out. i'll probably be giving it two more coats tommorow and then wet sanding the next day. After playing around with this stuff i have pretty high expectations for it. I also bought a few cans of this im gonna try out-

I'll post some more pics when i get some more work done on it.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22397
04/03/06 08:28 AM
04/03/06 08:28 AM
PA
KGorney Offline
top fuel
KGorney  Offline
top fuel

PA
Quote:

I didnt take any pics after sanding, it looked horrible though - very uneven. Here is a pic before sanding.

I painted over that area, after sanding it down with 240, with this "regal red" color again using penetrol. I found it VERY easy to work with. yes, there were lots of bubbles but they went away on their own and the surface is fairly flat. This is the first coat put on about 20 minutes prior to the picture. Not sure if I want a red Dart or not.

Hey Exit1965, thanks for the picture! I think I'm sold on the Penetrol! Keep up the posts. Let us know how the drying and hardening of the paint does as compared to the mineral spirits.
I haven't picked up any penetrol yet, but how do you think it would spray? I'm thinking I'll spray the door jambs, trunk, and engine bay and roller the rest.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: KGorney] #22398
04/03/06 12:58 PM
04/03/06 12:58 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Where is everyone finding penetrol? I have looked at a few home depots without any luck. I am trying a lowes today.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22399
04/03/06 01:25 PM
04/03/06 01:25 PM
PA
KGorney Offline
top fuel
KGorney  Offline
top fuel

PA
Try your local hardware stores.
Aubuchon carries it.
You can order it online as well.
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore....ner-101287.aspx

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22400
04/03/06 01:55 PM
04/03/06 01:55 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I got it at home depot in the same place they have the acetone, mineral spirits and such.

A bunch of pages ago, I think someone mentioned using an enamel hardener. Has anyone tried enamel hardener with Rustoleum? I'm thinking the secret recipe could be rustoleum, penetrol to make it flow, and enamel hardener to improve scratch resistance. In my experience it just doesn't get hard enough on its own, even with months of drying.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22401
04/03/06 02:13 PM
04/03/06 02:13 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I got it at home depot in the same place they have the acetone, mineral spirits and such.

A bunch of pages ago, I think someone mentioned using an enamel hardener. Has anyone tried enamel hardener with Rustoleum? I'm thinking the secret recipe could be rustoleum, penetrol to make it flow, and enamel hardener to improve scratch resistance. In my experience it just doesn't get hard enough on its own, even with months of drying.

It could be a reason for all this to sort of be resistant to abuse and also bending becuase it flexes... althought it really should resist rock chips flying at it at 60mph, etc since it doesnt pass the fingernail test.

I painted a fiberglas front lip for my nissan se-r specV in the gloss white, and after drying for about 2 weeks now I can still make a mark with my fingernail, but i cant scratch it off becuase of its great adhesion to fiberglas. I also used automotive primer from rustoleum in the spray can becuase I sanded some old paint off and got down to the gel coat.

I have wetsanded the final coat to 1500 grit, and have orangepeel all over it becuase this was basically my test piece. The reason for my orange peel is that I had a layer or two too thick on it. My first layer was perfect, as well as my last layer, but the layers in between are somewhat moderate to thick.

I have decided to just wait until I get my polishing pad to buff it to see how it turns out instead of sanding it more and revealing more high spots since its a fiberglas lip and there are surface level imperfections. I dont want to paint it again just to cover the primer under and having to wetsand it and see it again.

I know its not the best test item, but I was eager to not waste some of the paint on my dead fender. All the lessons that you learn here will not fully to through until you try it. There is no better answer for everyone's questions except to really follow the instructions and then try it for yourselves.

I will try to post some pics when I get some polishing done. I always have dust on my paint layers so I have to wetsand it... which takes off the gloss coat.. but im hoping I get some better results than some of you with the gloss level after polishing.

Frank.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22402
04/03/06 02:29 PM
04/03/06 02:29 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Exit - When you say the bubbles went away on thier own using the Penetrol, do you mean that you did not go back and lightly re-roller at all? If so, how long did it take for them to go away? I will admit that at this point I feel alittle more comfortable with the mineral spirits, simply because I can see the bubble gone almost immediately. But if the Penetrol manages to lose the bubbles on it's own, it may be worth taking a second look at.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22403
04/03/06 02:33 PM
04/03/06 02:33 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
resist the urge to paint thick, and wetsand with a coarse grit, and speed polishing by pushing on the polisher, ect....it's like what drives us to touch wet paint just to see if it's magiclly dry right after you paint it!!!!!
apply the paint as if you think it's way to thin, then it'll be fine.

exit1965, there must be a cali thing about your paint, i painted a test piece with my finger on thick just to check color, did it with my finger on a 4"x4" area, that was 5 days ago, no way i can scratch it off.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22404
04/03/06 03:31 PM
04/03/06 03:31 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Exit - When you say the bubbles went away on thier own using the Penetrol, do you mean that you did not go back and lightly re-roller at all? If so, how long did it take for them to go away? I will admit that at this point I feel alittle more comfortable with the mineral spirits, simply because I can see the bubble gone almost immediately. But if the Penetrol manages to lose the bubbles on it's own, it may be worth taking a second look at.

I applied the stuff thick and fast, it made lots of bubbles but they popped within about 5-10 seconds. I did not roll over it lightly a few minutes later - I was trying to see how it would lay with a quick roll.. and it seems to lay good.

Charger- if you use your nail and scrape sideways (like you are trying to 'slice it' with your nail) - does it not leave a scratch? It does for me, but no car paint I've tried this on scratches at all.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22405
04/03/06 04:46 PM
04/03/06 04:46 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I had to finally check out this thread and see what the big deal was about. I must say I chucked. I was expecting the same old paint and body tips and tricks. I've been using Tremclad for at least 15 years. I always used varsol to thin it and it always came out sharp. I sprayed it though. A roller just seemed a little too "hillbilly". Hehheh. Its awesome for frames, suspension and it "sticks" like nothing else. I love that stuff, I just never talked about it. Nice work!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22406
04/03/06 05:44 PM
04/03/06 05:44 PM
PA
KGorney Offline
top fuel
KGorney  Offline
top fuel

PA
Quote:

Where is everyone finding penetrol? I have looked at a few home depots without any luck. I am trying a lowes today.

In Home Depot look in the paint sprayer section. House paint sprayers, not HVLP type. In the area HD's around here the Penetrol is with the sprayers.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: KGorney] #22407
04/03/06 06:27 PM
04/03/06 06:27 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Charger- if you use your nail and scrape sideways (like you are trying to 'slice it' with your nail) - does it not leave a scratch? It does for me, but no car paint I've tried this on scratches at all.

i know you want me to say yes, it scratches, but sorry, no scratches/peeling/nada. if i use a screw driver, i can scratch it, but from what you describe it's nothing near that, i can't scratch it off the peice of sheet metal i painted on.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: KGorney] #22408
04/03/06 06:29 PM
04/03/06 06:29 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

In Home Depot look in the paint sprayer section. House paint sprayers, not HVLP type. In the area HD's around here the Penetrol is with the sprayers.

i cannot stress how much better a HVLP gun is.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22409
04/03/06 08:24 PM
04/03/06 08:24 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

i cannot stress how much better a HVLP gun is.

He's just telling him where to find the penetrol.

All the rustoleum ive tried has scratched easily. Maybe its my fingernails, or a california thing but..

Page 46 of 85 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 84 85