03/24/06 02:44 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Thanks for the replies guys! Looks like I'll have my delivery of tremclad on sunday so I'm hoping early next week the process will begin.

I know Tremclad is tried and true, but in my book so is Rustoleum Pro (and Rustoleum standard for others) - if you use Tremclad on your car and you need some more of it down the road for a repair, it might be tougher to get than wandering down to your local Lowes. Then again, it may not be for you to get it through your current supplier.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22271
03/24/06 03:57 PM
03/24/06 03:57 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

yeah its more or less who do I know thats going to canada. I live about 2 hours from the boarder so I either need motivation to get it or a weekend getaway with the misses

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22272
03/24/06 05:48 PM
03/24/06 05:48 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

i've allways waxed right after the final polish, never had issues, and the paint on both my cars is rock hard, but i never intentionally tried a scratch test on my cars, only reciently when the whole scratch debate started did i test the charger, which was painted 5 months ago.

as for the wetsanding, i clean the residue off while it's still wet, just after wetsanding, i use a shammy and a bucket of clean water, it's alot eaiser to clean while wet, then just before painting, i clean with mineral spirits, and then use a standard autobody "tach cloth" which is a sticky cheese cloth rag you can get at any auto parts store for $1, before i paint each pannel/area i use the tack cloth, and have virtually no dust/dirt issues.

as for painting over plastic bumpers, i've never had any problems with any parts i've painted, but like any paint if it's flexed enough it will crack. i've painted my 85 CRX bumpers, and my old 86 mustang gt, no issues with the paint sticking or cracking. the front fenders on the charger are fiberglass, i've popped them in and out while working on the engine by accident and nothing happened to the paint, in the sun when those fiberglass fenders heat up they get about 1/4" longer and expand from the heat, no issues.

Charger...
Did you do anything special when you prepped and painted the fiberglass fenders (prime)? I assume you received them and they had just a standard gelcoat, right?? I read that it (gelcoat) has a waxy type consistency/coating... Did you treat them like you would have a metal set of fenders? The buggy I'm soon to be painting is all fiberglass.

Sorry for all the ??'s, just trying to get some similar results.
Thanks for all your insight!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: moper] #22273
03/24/06 07:34 PM
03/24/06 07:34 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

wow. there's something I'll bet Tom neever expected to see on MOPARTS..

Hey! Whats wrong with my civic ? and why not hahah

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22274
03/24/06 07:48 PM
03/24/06 07:48 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Charger...
Did you do anything special when you prepped and painted the fiberglass fenders (prime)? I assume you received them and they had just a standard gelcoat, right?? I read that it (gelcoat) has a waxy type consistency/coating... Did you treat them like you would have a metal set of fenders? The buggy I'm soon to be painting is all fiberglass.

Sorry for all the ??'s, just trying to get some similar results.
Thanks for all your insight!!

well the fenders were allready painted when i got the car, it was a 20yr old single stage paint job, i just prepped the body, did the body work and painted right over the old paint. if your getting new fiberglass, i'd definetly prep it by sanding with 400 grit sand paper dry, not wet, then just paint as usual. that paint really sticks to fiberglass, i've painted my sail boat with it years ago, it lives outside still looks great. also when you sand the fiberglass, be sure you don't have any shiny spots from the gelcoat, only sand enough to get it dull, on fiberglass espically don't use any primer, there's no need. just sand and clean using mineral spirits, tremclad works amazing on fiberglass.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22275
03/26/06 08:31 AM
03/26/06 08:31 AM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline
master
Pool Fixer  Offline
master

Coram, NY
This thread can't die!!!!!!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22276
03/26/06 11:13 AM
03/26/06 11:13 AM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
Quote:

Quote:

I guess this thread has broken down barriers between sites...But it's a heck of a jump to a Budda civic. I'm sure it will keep growing tho..20 pags and still working to get more than a couple 100% sucess stories

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: moper] #22277
03/26/06 12:38 PM
03/26/06 12:38 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I guess this thread has broken down barriers between sites...But it's a heck of a jump to a Budda civic. I'm sure it will keep growing tho..20 pags and still working to get more than a couple 100% sucess stories
I have a 200% sucess story

also keep in mind that most of the people trying this need to still complete body work, and finish restoring mechanical issues before attempting this method, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel now that people have a low-cost easy to do paint job and not be embarrased to take their ride out. i hope i help someone out who otherwise could'nt afford to have their car painted. but also i'm happy to see that people actually expirement with the whole process on a test door or hood before doing the whole car and making a big mess and giving up. once you perfect the process and have all the issues worked out you realize how easy it really is. i just want to help out a few guys get their rides on the road, that's all.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22278
03/26/06 02:22 PM
03/26/06 02:22 PM
Chicago, IL
P
PLUM_72 Offline
pro stock
PLUM_72  Offline
pro stock
P

Chicago, IL
I've been following the thread a little. One thing to add is that watch the foam roller you use. I was painting a bookshelf this weekend (storage for the garage). I came across two type of foam rollers; a yellow kind and a white kind. I bought both. I used the yellow on the first coat and got mega orange peel and bubbles. After that coat cured, I sanded down the peel and moved to the white type. This roller was was noticably finer in regards to the type of foam. The pores in the foam were much smaller. The white type barely left orange peel and bubbles. Check this out before you buy the roller.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: PLUM_72] #22279
03/26/06 02:39 PM
03/26/06 02:39 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

So I got all my supplies today and here a 2 pack of 4 inch rollers was $7 and was wondering if there was a way to make them last.

I read that someone tried to reuse them and it didn't really paint the same way as a new one. Has anyone gotten a good paintjob with reusing them say a day later?

How many rollers did you end up using for the whole car?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22280
03/26/06 02:43 PM
03/26/06 02:43 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

So I got all my supplies today and here a 2 pack of 4 inch rollers was $7 and was wondering if there was a way to make them last.

I read that someone tried to reuse them and it didn't really paint the same way as a new one. Has anyone gotten a good paintjob with reusing them say a day later?

in home depot they have a 5 pk of rollers, i'd use 1 roller per day, 3 rollers in total, after the first coat, load up the roller with lots of paint and put it in a plastic bag, it will stay wet for that day, but the next day i'd use a new one.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22281
03/26/06 06:14 PM
03/26/06 06:14 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey 69chargeryeehaa...finally got the hang of it and finished my trunk. Actually bought some Rustoleum in a spray can to do the underside and door hinges, etc...places I knew would be tough to roller. What i've discovered is, the spray can goes on extremely smooth and level!! Wondering what the advantages/disadvantages would be to spraying some of the coats on other areas of the car with a spray can...it's the same stuff I bought in the gallon container. Any thoughts??? Thanks, Chuck

PS...I will post some pix, but right now my trunk lid is sitting upside down drying!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22282
03/26/06 08:13 PM
03/26/06 08:13 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
69, I'm a natural pessemist (hence the name..), and I'm waiting to see a duplicate of your results. No harm done, I'm interested to see the final results work. But, so far, I've only seen some positive results, not a complete "Eureka! It worked " and pics of a completed car to show it. Maybe that Budda Honda will be it..he's workin' right along on it....

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: moper] #22283
03/26/06 08:27 PM
03/26/06 08:27 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

69, I'm a natural pessemist (hence the name..), and I'm waiting to see a duplicate of your results. No harm done, I'm interested to see the final results work. But, so far, I've only seen some positive results, not a complete "Eureka! It worked " and pics of a completed car to show it. Maybe that Budda Honda will be it..he's workin' right along on it....

i can understand all the doubt, and i think there's lots of good test peices, but everyone's holding out for someone to actually try it. guess my pics are not good enough, and that a member actually came and saw it in person, and commented (and that only cost me $20!!! ). everyone's probally thinking, ya right, lets all paint our cars with rollers, and 69chargeryeehaa's probally sitting there going .........muhahahaha........fools. lol, honestly it's only as good as you make it. how you lay paint down is irrevelant, what matters is that it's smooth and level, and not thick, then it's all in wetsanding and buffing, any good paint job involves the same process, just this is a low cost easy alternative that does'nt need all the expirence and equipment to turn out a decient job.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: moper] #22284
03/26/06 08:37 PM
03/26/06 08:37 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Give us time man! 69charger is right, not many people have a car with all the bodywork completely done that they can paint right away even if they wanted to. I know what this topic has done for me though -- instead of sluggishly getting through bodywork to arrive at the hassle of either shelling out a minimum of 800 (for a Miracle/Maaco quality job), plus hauling the car around, hoping they get it right, etc.. or trying to spray it myself and get it right-- I know it can work well and I'm zooming through prepping my car as I should have been doing all along.

i.e., now there is something exciting waiting for me when I'm done - the ability to paint it myself and have it look good; rather than something costly and unknown.

I really think I should be able to start painting my Dart within 2 weeks. I've been putting an average 2 hours per day in on it since last Monday, so at this rate the bodywork itself should be done in under 2 weeks but I'm allowing time for screwups.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22285
03/26/06 08:40 PM
03/26/06 08:40 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Granted I only painted a small test area, but on my last test area I used a single roller the whole time, which was over 5 days. I just cleaned it with mineral spirits after painting, put it in a ziplock bag (a big one), then when I pull it out to paint again, I just squeezed it with a paper towel to get all the mineral spirits off of it. I did not notice any difference in application from the first time to the last time.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22286
03/26/06 08:47 PM
03/26/06 08:47 PM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline
master
Pool Fixer  Offline
master

Coram, NY
that $7 pack of rollers does it for me. screw this idea, it's now too expensive.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Pool Fixer] #22287
03/26/06 09:43 PM
03/26/06 09:43 PM
Ohio
R
RonaldV Offline
RonaldV  Offline
R

Ohio
Hey guys, I hate to tell you this but April 1st is just around the corner. I think you have been had!

The one big problem with this that I can see is the paint wont want to keep a shine as there is no hardner added in it. Ive painted stuff with industrial tractor paint and it looks good for a year then starts to fade, especially if its kept outside. But if youve got 50 bucks to spend and some time, Id like to here if this actually works.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: RonaldV] #22288
03/26/06 09:55 PM
03/26/06 09:55 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
69chargeryeeha already proved that it actually works. That tractor would probably shine OK if you polished it a couple times a year, or put some wax on it, which is what needs to be done with this 50 dollar paint job.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: moper] #22289
03/26/06 10:54 PM
03/26/06 10:54 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Moper, I think your point is taken well. I agree with you somewhat on your reservations, but I think there are quite a few here that are taking up the roller in one manner or another here already, myself included. To be honest, I think many have undertaken this with thier own doubts, but for me personally, they were no greater doubts than had I picked up a spray gun and tried to paint a car with no experience. I can promise this, just as in spraying a car, there is definitely an "art" to using this method of painting, and for anyone to expect it to come out perfectly the first time around is foolish, same as if they spray a car for the first time. I'm actually glad to see so many "testing" this method out first, trying it on test panels, doors, and even as in my case, a refridgerator. I learned enough to believe it can be done, also enough to see that the results will look perfectly acceptable on a car. I, however, am not ready for that step yet 1. because the car is not ready, and 2. I need to practice more before I'M ready, at least to get the results I'd like to see on my car.
I would strongly suggest to anyone who's interested in this idea of roller painting to try it out, test if you will, before going gangbusters on a full car simply because I think if they don't, they will be dissapointed in the results. There is alot to learn, and seeing photos is just not enough. 69Charger is absolutely right when he says this is a great method for those who want a decent paint job on a budget. Period. Yes, you will get better results with a high quality spray job, but many of us just don't have that kind of budget to work with. JMHO

Page 40 of 85 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 84 85