01/27/16 12:08 AM
01/27/16 12:08 AM
Long Island, NY
shakerjoe Offline OP
master
shakerjoe  Offline OP
master

Long Island, NY
after having my dash pad repaired locally and re-dyed (the 2 cracks at the speaker)it really came out fantastic, it started to crack and fall apart on the right side where it turns down on the inside face above the ash tray and next to the last gauge pod, I don't think this can be repaired...looking online, has any one had any experience with this group - www.dashpadpros.com - would prefer to buy one outright and send my core back instead of having to build a box to send core first - have a real problem with one of arms to my hand, I think that might be how I messed up the repaired pad by trying to do too much with the other - TIA

Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: shakerjoe] #1999696
01/27/16 12:46 PM
01/27/16 12:46 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Dash pad pros is formerly Superior dash, Carolina Dash, Ultimate Rides, etc, etc...all the same company, they've had issues over the years with quality control and delivery, I've bought 2 E body pads off them thru Ebay the last few years, both were very nice in regard to fit and quality, some trimming will be required to get everything fitted, the grain, while nice, isn't 100% OEM, but very close

...IMHO, I'd only purchase thru the EBay Store/PayPal so that you have some recourse, dealing directly thru their website like some members have will most likely cause issues/delays, don't do any show "pick ups" or core "drop offs" to save on shipping either

Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: DAYCLONA] #1999727
01/27/16 01:41 PM
01/27/16 01:41 PM
Berwyn, IL
challenger70 Offline
master
challenger70  Offline
master

Berwyn, IL
I would send it to http://www.justdashes.com/ and forget anyone else. Great work and they have a solid reputation.

Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: challenger70] #2000257
01/28/16 02:23 AM
01/28/16 02:23 AM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
I agree with both Dayclona & challenger70.
I've dealt with both companies. (though I admit it was several years ago, nothing recent.)

Just Dashes does good work and has a solid reputation. I'd probably choose them first if I was building anything except a 1970 E body.

The reason for that is the name script on the right end of the dash pad.
In the past, I know that there have been issues with whether or not either company was allowed to include that script on the new dash pad. Some pads were received with the script separate and you had to find a way to attach it yourself. I'm hoping that they have these issues all sorted out now.

That script was originally chromed plastic, though the chrome wore off quickly through the use of cleaning chemicals on the dash. As far as I know, Dash Pad Pros (Ultimate Rides) was the only company making the script chromed, so if that feature is important to you, then you only have one choice.
(I guess you could try using silver paint, but it really doesn't look the same.)

Dash Pad Pros was slow and very hard to get in touch with, so going through eBay is a great suggestion. They use original metal dash cores, but they made my AC dash pad from a non-AC core and I had to file the holes a little bigger to get the AC vents to sit down flush into the pad like they should. That was a little tedious, but nothing that's noticeable once the vents are installed, and certainly better than testing their customer service.

Another thing to consider is whether you need a colored dash. I think Dash Pad Pros dyes their black pads to other colors, but Just Dashes might actually use colored vinyl. It would be a good idea to ask if you need a colored dash.

Tav

Last edited by cataclysm80; 01/28/16 02:29 AM.
Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: cataclysm80] #2000375
01/28/16 12:35 PM
01/28/16 12:35 PM
Long Island, NY
shakerjoe Offline OP
master
shakerjoe  Offline OP
master

Long Island, NY
sorry - I should have stated this is for my '71 non A/C black dash - Dayclona - thanks for the heads up on the ebay purchase - was leaning that way, going to call both to check out, looked at the video of just dashes restoration, thanks to all - any other tips/box options?

Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: cataclysm80] #2000380
01/28/16 12:46 PM
Berwyn, IL
challenger70 Offline
master
challenger70  Offline
master

Berwyn, IL
Originally Posted By cataclysm80
I agree with both Dayclona & challenger70.
I've dealt with both companies. (though I admit it was several years ago, nothing recent.)

Just Dashes does good work and has a solid reputation. I'd probably choose them first if I was building anything except a 1970 E body.

The reason for that is the name script on the right end of the dash pad.
In the past, I know that there have been issues with whether or not either company was allowed to include that script on the new dash pad. Some pads were received with the script separate and you had to find a way to attach it yourself. I'm hoping that they have these issues all sorted out now.

That script was originally chromed plastic, though the chrome wore off quickly through the use of cleaning chemicals on the dash. As far as I know, Dash Pad Pros (Ultimate Rides) was the only company making the script chromed, so if that feature is important to you, then you only have one choice.
(I guess you could try using silver paint, but it really doesn't look the same.)

Dash Pad Pros was slow and very hard to get in touch with, so going through eBay is a great suggestion. They use original metal dash cores, but they made my AC dash pad from a non-AC core and I had to file the holes a little bigger to get the AC vents to sit down flush into the pad like they should. That was a little tedious, but nothing that's noticeable once the vents are installed, and certainly better than testing their customer service.

Another thing to consider is whether you need a colored dash. I think Dash Pad Pros dyes their black pads to other colors, but Just Dashes might actually use colored vinyl. It would be a good idea to ask if you need a colored dash.

Tav

Mine came with the script, but not chromed, would have been nice...but not worth getting a second rate dash, in my opinion. They also used correct rivets and reattached my VIN and cut the holes so I could add a 3 speaker dash. Might want to consider it if you care about music at all. The correct '70 only speaker grills (with J/R and J/L on the back) are a pain to track down though, since all the other e-bodies used a slightly different grill with B/R and B/L on the back.

Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: shakerjoe] #2000381
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By shakerjoe
sorry - I should have stated this is for my '71 non A/C black dash - Dayclona - thanks for the heads up on the ebay purchase - was leaning that way, going to call both to check out, looked at the video of just dashes restoration, thanks to all - any other tips/box options?

If what you have is a 71 pad (71-4 Cuda/Challenger are all the same pad)then either Dash Pro or Just Dashes is fine, Just Dashes seems to have an issue getting the 70 year only E body pads correct in shape/details, but they do have the 71-4 pads down to a science, I'd recommend using EBay as your purchase point if going with Dash Pros, as Alan will only advertise on EBay when he actually has a pad for sale

Mike

Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: DAYCLONA] #2000397
01/28/16 01:09 PM
01/28/16 01:09 PM
Long Island, NY
shakerjoe Offline OP
master
shakerjoe  Offline OP
master

Long Island, NY
thanks Mike, spoke to "Alan" 2 years ago at Carlisle when I looked at his pads previous to gutting my 'cuda and seeing what I was getting into, but he wasn't Dash Pad Pro's then - was he another company or does he change/update names - just curious - his dashes did look pretty nice I will say, a friend of mine picked one up from him for his Challenger - thanks again

Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: shakerjoe] #2000480
01/28/16 03:24 PM
01/28/16 03:24 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By shakerjoe
thanks Mike, spoke to "Alan" 2 years ago at Carlisle when I looked at his pads previous to gutting my 'cuda and seeing what I was getting into, but he wasn't Dash Pad Pro's then - was he another company or does he change/update names - just curious - his dashes did look pretty nice I will say, a friend of mine picked one up from him for his Challenger - thanks again

IIRC he was Carolina Dash until just recently, now Dash Pros, I don't know the issue with him running under several different named companies over the last few years?, could be anything from trademark/copyright issues, to creditors, LLC terms?,Business partners? who knows?...but if you do decide on a Dash Pro dash, go EBay

Mike

Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: challenger70] #2000489
01/28/16 03:34 PM
01/28/16 03:34 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By challenger70
They also used correct rivets and reattached my VIN and cut the holes so I could add a 3 speaker dash. Might want to consider it if you care about music at all. The correct '70 only speaker grills (with J/R and J/L on the back) are a pain to track down though, since all the other e-bodies used a slightly different grill with B/R and B/L on the back.

Hmmmmm?... when did Just Dashes start attaching VINs?, from what I recall since their inception in the late 80's, they warned any dash sent to them with a VIN would have it removed and destroyed and not returned,...I'd appreciate any pics you might have of your 70 Challenger Just Dashes dash, as I currently have a 70 Challenger convertible project needing a dash redone, I'd consider still going with Dash Pros 70 Chall dash as the one that I have from them in my hardtop Challenger is quite rather nice,...from what I've seen in the past in person regarding 70 Cuda or Challenger dashes done by Just Dashes, they appeared too "puffy", or details were "lost", esp the 70 Challenger pad regarding the stitch and emblem detail area around the emblem

Mike

Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: shakerjoe] #2000510
01/28/16 03:57 PM
01/28/16 03:57 PM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
For those with experience, is there any reason not to use the plastic core?

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: Grizzly] #2000604
01/28/16 06:49 PM
01/28/16 06:49 PM
KENTUCKY
69CHARGERMD Offline
master
69CHARGERMD  Offline
master

KENTUCKY
" don't do any show "pick ups" or core "drop offs" to save on shipping either "
???
I bought mine at Carlise from them (Ultimate Rides at the time )
I was able to check it out really well before handing over the $$ and make sure there were no issues,,,mine was really nice and fit well ( only minor trimming required )

Brought my core back to them the following year at Carlise and no issues getting paid...

Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: Grizzly] #2000640
01/28/16 07:22 PM
01/28/16 07:22 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By Grizzly
For those with experience, is there any reason not to use the plastic core?

I have several E bodies, only one has (71 Cuda) a plastic ABS core dash that I bought from Superior Dash (which is/was Ultimate Rides/Carolina Dash/ now currently Dash Pros)

the very early run of ABS core E body dashes were so horrible in fit/finish and grain being so wrong, Alan dumped those on the market for about $200 each (around 2006/7) just to get rid of them.

I purchased my ABS cored dash about 4-5 yrs ago from Superior Dash from the new retooled run of ABS core dashes just to try it out, fit and finish is on par with the steel core units,the grain is very close to original I've had no issues with it in the car for the last few years, IMHO the early/first run of ABS cores gave them such a bad wrap that it has followed them...

I currently (awaiting install) have a 70 Cuda 3 speaker ABS core pad that I bought off Ebay/Dash Pros last year, the detail and grain of the dash are again very nice, and very close to the factory pad,only a side by side comparison yields any minute detail difference, in car you'd be hard pressed to see any difference...

But the only issue with these pads from Dash Pro is purchasing them, as I and Tav have mentioned the delays/communication when sending in a pad, or trying to buy a pad thru them directly, even an ABS core pad, there's always some issue, that's why I suggest a purchase thru EBay when they're offered, because either you get a pad, or your money back from PayPal/EBay, not a song and dance as to when your pad will be ready?

Mike

Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: shakerjoe] #2000694
01/28/16 08:52 PM
01/28/16 08:52 PM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
Thanks Mike, always wondered the answer to that question. Sounds like plastic is a good option going forward.

I got a steel one from Arizona Nicks' group buy a few years back and was put off to the plastic option.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: DAYCLONA] #2001071
01/29/16 11:34 AM
01/29/16 11:34 AM
Berwyn, IL
challenger70 Offline
master
challenger70  Offline
master

Berwyn, IL
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
They also used correct rivets and reattached my VIN and cut the holes so I could add a 3 speaker dash. Might want to consider it if you care about music at all. The correct '70 only speaker grills (with J/R and J/L on the back) are a pain to track down though, since all the other e-bodies used a slightly different grill with B/R and B/L on the back.

Hmmmmm?... when did Just Dashes start attaching VINs?, from what I recall since their inception in the late 80's, they warned any dash sent to them with a VIN would have it removed and destroyed and not returned,...I'd appreciate any pics you might have of your 70 Challenger Just Dashes dash, as I currently have a 70 Challenger convertible project needing a dash redone, I'd consider still going with Dash Pros 70 Chall dash as the one that I have from them in my hardtop Challenger is quite rather nice,...from what I've seen in the past in person regarding 70 Cuda or Challenger dashes done by Just Dashes, they appeared too "puffy", or details were "lost", esp the 70 Challenger pad regarding the stitch and emblem detail area around the emblem

Mike

Been a while... if I was to hazzard a guess, it was about 2003-2005ish . I can take some pictures when I get my car back, if I remember or you remind me. At that time the choices were pretty much Ultimate Rides (or whatever they had recently changed there name to so they could avoid there reputation), which were considered junk by most at the time and just dashes. I would not even have considered sending them my dash if they was any discussion of destroying vins. The only reason I even breifly considered ultimate rides was the chrome plated Challenger lettering.

Any idea why they were destroying vin's? Seems like an old ratty dash and a nice new one with the same vin on it, is legally the same thing.

Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: challenger70] #2001207
01/29/16 03:11 PM
01/29/16 03:11 PM
Colorado
D
denfireguy Offline
top fuel
denfireguy  Offline
top fuel
D

Colorado
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

Mike

Been a while... if I was to hazzard a guess, it was about 2003-2005ish . I can take some pictures when I get my car back, if I remember or you remind me. At that time the choices were pretty much Ultimate Rides (or whatever they had recently changed there name to so they could avoid there reputation), which were considered junk by most at the time and just dashes. I would not even have considered sending them my dash if they was any discussion of destroying vins. The only reason I even breifly considered ultimate rides was the chrome plated Challenger lettering.

Any idea why they were destroying vin's? Seems like an old ratty dash and a nice new one with the same vin on it, is legally the same thing.
When I was looking four years ago, Just Dashes said not to leave the VIN on the dash. I purchased the proper rivets before removing the plate. I also bought a core on Ebay so I could keep using the car while they worked on the new pad.
Meanwhile, I went with Nick in AZ group buy on here with Ultimate. I did have issues on delivery, loss of core, etc. Nick was a great agent to deal with Ultimate as he had leverage of many buyers as opposed to me as a single purchaser. The dash needed trimming (as all of them seem to do) but fit well and looks great.
Grizzley, if you need a core, I still have my original and I think I am local to you.
Craig

Last edited by denfireguy; 01/29/16 03:12 PM.

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado
Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: shakerjoe] #2001222
01/29/16 03:26 PM
01/29/16 03:26 PM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
Thanks for the offer, Craig! Nick got me looked after, and now I'll have an extra to give back when the time comes. up

DSCN1224.JPG

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: shakerjoe] #2195644
11/13/16 11:12 AM
11/13/16 11:12 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Any other comments on the ABS core dashes? Price point fits my budget pretty well as uts about $250 less expensive and no Core drama..

has the quality improved overall? Longevity in hot climates?

http://www.dashpadpros.com

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2195768
11/13/16 04:15 PM
11/13/16 04:15 PM
Washington/Las Vegas
1971 Gran Coupe Offline
super stock
1971 Gran Coupe  Offline
super stock

Washington/Las Vegas
Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
Any other comments on the ABS core dashes? Price point fits my budget pretty well as uts about $250 less expensive and no Core drama..

Save your money and buy a steel core dash. It will look nice at first, but in time IT WILL warp and then all you have in a ruffled dash pad with no cracks. twocents

Re: best option for a "new" steel core E body rally dash [Re: 1971 Gran Coupe] #2195796
11/13/16 04:59 PM
11/13/16 04:59 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By 1971 Gran Coupe
Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda

Save your money and buy a steel core dash. It will look nice at first, but in time IT WILL warp and then all you have in a ruffled dash pad with no cracks. twocents

Your basing this on what facts or info? I've got 2 ABS core E body dashes, the oldest being approx 5+ yrs old with ZERO issues on either unit

Page 1 of 2 1 2