01/27/06 02:04 PM
01/27/06 02:04 PM
Tulsa, OK
73cudaproject Offline
super stock
73cudaproject  Offline
super stock

Tulsa, OK
69Chargeryeehaa here is my situation. I have been sidetracked from working on my '73 barracuda project by a '65 F-100 stepside pickup I picked up real cheap (I kick myself for getting side tracked by this project and just want to get it completed and out of the way...) I have completed sand blasting the truck and welding in patch panels. This weekend I planned on doing my first spraying by applying a coat of epoxy primer then starting the filler, sanding, primer, etc. work until I had it ready for paint. I happen to have a can of the Rustoleum rusty metal primer at home which I have never openned and consider using on the floor boards. I have been told to apply epoxy primer first then body filler and the rest of the body work. I want to give this method a try on this truck. Should I just give it a roll-on coat of primer, then do the body work then give this method a try or do you recommend putting filler directly over the bare metal and I believe you said to apply this paint directly over filler? Thanks!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 73cudaproject] #21591
01/27/06 02:14 PM
01/27/06 02:14 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

69Chargeryeehaa here is my situation. I have been sidetracked from working on my '73 barracuda project by a '65 F-100 stepside pickup I picked up real cheap (I kick myself for getting side tracked by this project and just want to get it completed and out of the way...) I have completed sand blasting the truck and welding in patch panels. This weekend I planned on doing my first spraying by applying a coat of epoxy primer then starting the filler, sanding, primer, etc. work until I had it ready for paint. I happen to have a can of the Rustoleum rusty metal primer at home which I have never openned and consider using on the floor boards. I have been told to apply epoxy primer first then body filler and the rest of the body work. I want to give this method a try on this truck. Should I just give it a roll-on coat of primer, then do the body work then give this method a try or do you recommend putting filler directly over the bare metal and I believe you said to apply this paint directly over filler? Thanks!

i did'nt use any primer, just did the repairs and bodywork using bondo, but i did'nt have and major rust to speak of, just dents, scratchs, and chips mostly. i just put bondo right over bare metal, then followed by just the paint, that's it. as long as no water gets in from behind then it should be ok. if you can access the back of the pannel you're repairing then spray some undercoating, i use the professional "rubberized" undercoat (not the ashfault stuff) and it's never let me down, that stuff is awesome and is even paintable after your done. Make sure you have all the "cancer" out of the metal and then go a little more to get rid of any "oxidized" metal so rust does'nt start. Keep in mind that the rust paint is formulated to go over BARE and RUSTED METAL, so like i said before if you can't sleep at night because u did'nt use primer or epoxy sealer then do it, but it's just a waste of time in my opinion. The 74 orange beetle was done 6 yrs ago, goes in the rain, i've put 35,000mi on the car and i have no issues with any rust at all, and there is a little bondo on it but no holes before paint. as for getting it smooth i would just use a fine grain bondo, try to keep the layers down, the thinner the better, just enough to make it straight, and block sand the bondo to get it arrow straight, then go straight to paint, hope that helps....

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21592
01/27/06 03:23 PM
01/27/06 03:23 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm a seasoned veteran of these roller jobs before using Tremclad and the technique just like he said. Always came out great!!! Especially when you live in an apt complex and can't make too much of a stink in the building. It do work good!

One note though where I have to disagree... I went to repaint one of my cars that were rollered in Tremclad, this was years ago too, and when I sanded the tremclad, it found it clogged the sandpaper up bad and found it very gummy...(rust paint never really hardens, and thats why it rolls out so smooth) maybe the paint has improved over the years but my experience is that if you ever decide to repaint it in a proper automotive paint then you'll have to strip the car down...

I have used the Duplicolor to spray too, that worked awesome as well...

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Shawns_Cuda] #21593
01/27/06 03:24 PM
01/27/06 03:24 PM
Columbus Ga
R
reflections7 Offline
master
reflections7  Offline
master
R

Columbus Ga
Your gonna put me out of buisness !!!

Here is an article about this same issue.
http://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/bb/bb70556.htm

A lot of body shops have went to a roll on primer. No masking, no moving it to a booth to keep overspray off other cars ect. You have to use roll on primer not 2k spray on. They sell the rollers white foam ones and pans at the PPG store. If you try 2k it will solvent pop and be to rough. You end up sanding it all back off. The other work well. I think Ill try this on an old fender just to see.
BTW if someone wants to spray base clear cheap try Matrix brand. the clear is like 50 with hardner.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21594
01/27/06 03:29 PM
01/27/06 03:29 PM
Near Denver
D
DAISYDUSTER Offline
mopar addict
DAISYDUSTER  Offline
mopar addict
D

Near Denver
I'm not trying to steal this thread but have you ever used the Car Skin product for polishing enamel. I'm from NC and haven't been able to find the product for over 10 years, if was the best and I hope it is still being made. We have been using Rustoleum paint for years and I can say it will last 6 years without any maintenance and if I could find some Car Skin to polish the old paint I would bet it would shine like new. All the old cars were painted with enamel years ago except for those that could afford laquer. I would rather use enamel over any of the plastic based products being sold today but then I'm old and like the look of enamel's warmth moreso that the clearcoat plastic glitter stuff.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21595
01/27/06 03:57 PM
01/27/06 03:57 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I'm a seasoned veteran of these roller jobs before using Tremclad and the technique just like he said. Always came out great!!! Especially when you live in an apt complex and can't make too much of a stink in the building. It do work good!

One note though where I have to disagree... I went to repaint one of my cars that were rollered in Tremclad, this was years ago too, and when I sanded the tremclad, it found it clogged the sandpaper up bad and found it very gummy...(rust paint never really hardens, and thats why it rolls out so smooth) maybe the paint has improved over the years but my experience is that if you ever decide to repaint it in a proper automotive paint then you'll have to strip the car down...

I have used the Duplicolor to spray too, that worked awesome as well...

did you use mineral spririts to thin down the paint? i think that is the key to get the paint to "harden" when i first tried this paint 12 years ago i did notice that it never really got hard, but i can say that all the other jobs i did starting with my 74 orange beetle i used mineral spirits to thin the paint, that seemed to be the trick, weather it was over-night or a year later the paint reached the right "hardness" the mineral spirits seemed to "flash" the paint, much like a reducer would on a acrylic enamel. i have painted a car over with the rust paint and had macco to a cheepy paint job that was a single stage, they had no issues to sand the paint, but i do know what you're describing, that happened to me when i did'nt use mineral spirits as a reducer. letterally overnight it is completely dry and i wetsand the next day.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: DAISYDUSTER] #21596
01/27/06 04:02 PM
01/27/06 04:02 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I'm not trying to steal this thread but have you ever used the Car Skin product for polishing enamel. I'm from NC and haven't been able to find the product for over 10 years, if was the best and I hope it is still being made. We have been using Rustoleum paint for years and I can say it will last 6 years without any maintenance and if I could find some Car Skin to polish the old paint I would bet it would shine like new. All the old cars were painted with enamel years ago except for those that could afford laquer. I would rather use enamel over any of the plastic based products being sold today but then I'm old and like the look of enamel's warmth moreso that the clearcoat plastic glitter stuff.

i have a shelf full of polishing compounds, mothers, mequires, ect....know what works the best? the cheapest one!!! turtle wax polishing compound in the white paste, $3, polish ANY enamel with a electric random orbit polisher and you'll be impressed......... and just a tip if you try it keep the buffing bonnet WET, have a spray bottle full of water and spray it on the bonnet each time u load up the polish paste, be very generous with both.

Any way to do clear coat? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21597
01/27/06 04:04 PM
01/27/06 04:04 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I looked at the Rustoleum site, and they had a clear product as well. Rustoleum 7701 is the clear stuff.

Just curious.

Thanks. Great knowledge here.

Greg

Re: Any way to do clear coat? #21598
01/27/06 04:12 PM
01/27/06 04:12 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I looked at the Rustoleum site, and they had a clear product as well. Rustoleum 7701 is the clear stuff.

Just curious.

Thanks. Great knowledge here.

Greg

i saw that stuff too, i even bought it, but after buffing and testing a peice with and with out, i noticed no real huge difference, plus with no clear if i get even a deep scratch i can touch it up, wetsand, polish and it's gone, with clear it would be alot harder.

Re: Any way to do clear coat? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21599
01/27/06 05:17 PM
01/27/06 05:17 PM
Michigan
MNobody Offline
master
MNobody  Offline
master

Michigan
i just tried it on 1/2 of a hood and i must not have it thinned enough because it's not laying down well and has little bubbles in it. do you have any kind of a paint/mineral spirits ratio to start with?

Re: Any way to do clear coat? [Re: MNobody] #21600
01/27/06 05:31 PM
01/27/06 05:31 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
He mentioned 20% as a place to start, so 4 parts paint 1 part thinner.

Was it near the consistency of water when you tried?

Re: Any way to do clear coat? [Re: Exit1965] #21601
01/27/06 05:34 PM
01/27/06 05:34 PM
Michigan
MNobody Offline
master
MNobody  Offline
master

Michigan
nope i must be too thick.

Re: Any way to do clear coat? [Re: MNobody] #21602
01/27/06 05:37 PM
01/27/06 05:37 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

i just tried it on 1/2 of a hood and i must not have it thinned enough because it's not laying down well and has little bubbles in it. do you have any kind of a paint/mineral spirits ratio to start with?

to answer your question, no lol, anyways, i'm wondering if you had the paint shaken? as a rule of thumb you NEVER shake enamel unless you want bubbles in the paint for a week, allways stir the paint. seccondly, all i can recomend is to thin it down with the mineral spirits until it is just a bit thicker than water, so it runs off a brush or whatever just a bit thicker than water, you could allways go a bit thicker, test it out and thin it until you get the right thickness. as for the bubbles, you could also make sure you really stired the paint and mixed it well, if u see bubbles in the paint in you pan then mix more until there is no bubbles, if there's still bubbles in the paint when u mixed it really well then get some paper towel and "skim" the surface to get rid of the bubbles. if you get bubbles when your painting your pushing down on the roller too hard, lighten it up a bit, let the paint sit for 1 minute after you've spread it out nice, then just run the roller over the area VERY gently using only the weight of the roller, then turn around, have a smoke after you've done the pannel, and when your done your smoke, turn around and you'll see it has "self leveled" before your eyes. if your doing a vertical section just apply a tiny amount of pressure as if it were the weight alone of the roller. it's really tricky to do, i could lay it down perfectly level but i have done it alot, you have to "read" the paint, listen carefully, it will tell you what to to . hope this helps.

Re: Any way to do clear coat? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21603
01/27/06 05:43 PM
01/27/06 05:43 PM
Newburgh, NY
Old_Moparz Offline
master
Old_Moparz  Offline
master

Newburgh, NY
Hey 69chargeryeehaa,

Glad you took the time to post all of this, it's a lot of work. I copied & pasted it to my computer because I seriously doubt anyone will take this serious enough to archive. I just witnessed more people than ever on this site, jumping into a stale project with some true real inspiration than ever before. The only time that seems to happen otherwise, is when someone makes a comment on a BJ auction with a "rebody" & then there's 12 pages of it. There's always going to be arguments like the one's posted, that's because this is Moparts.com & arguments are a way of life here.

Thanks for posting, Bob

Saran wrap, huh?

Re: Any way to do clear coat? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21604
01/27/06 06:16 PM
01/27/06 06:16 PM
Michigan
MNobody Offline
master
MNobody  Offline
master

Michigan
well of course i shook the paint lol, i only do things to make my job tougher......thanks for all the info i didn't think i was going to get it perfect the first try anyway but i gotta get out of the garage i'm gettin a heck of a buzzzzz.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: BSharp] #21605
01/27/06 06:30 PM
01/27/06 06:30 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I was gonna say, if you are going to roll on a metallic, you better have awful fast arms to get the flakes dispersed so they don't look like a pattern.........hey, a pattern..checkerboard metallics anyone?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: reflections7] #21606
01/27/06 06:38 PM
01/27/06 06:38 PM
Tulsa, OK
73cudaproject Offline
super stock
73cudaproject  Offline
super stock

Tulsa, OK
I called a paint supply store and asked about roll-on primer. I was told any epoxy primer, 2K primer, etc. can be rolled on. He did not mention what reducer to use. Any advice? My current application is just on a beater type truck but I want fairly good results. The metal is currently bare and I want to prime before I use body filler. The link provided earlier indicates the primer needs to be a direct to metal type.

Last edited by 73cudaproject; 01/27/06 06:40 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 73cudaproject] #21607
01/27/06 06:41 PM
01/27/06 06:41 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

According to that article, make sure its a DTM product. I don't think even all epoxies are spec'd for direct to metal. There are additives that make it DTM. Double check before you jump in.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21608
01/27/06 07:00 PM
01/27/06 07:00 PM
Tulsa, OK
73cudaproject Offline
super stock
73cudaproject  Offline
super stock

Tulsa, OK
I will double check to make sure the primer I get is DTM. It is suppose to rain this weekend so I will not be able to roll the truck outside and spray. My shop is full of other project cars so I want to avoid overspray and the difficulties of making a temporary spray booth just for the first coat of primer. I am excited about the roll-on method! I might just use the Rustoleum primer and save some money.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 73cudaproject] #21609
01/27/06 07:15 PM
01/27/06 07:15 PM
Va. Beach, Va
69superbee383 Offline
master
69superbee383  Offline
master

Va. Beach, Va
I did an old Duster fender last night using this method and also using a spray bomb of rustoleum. I just wet sanded them and applied the next coat and can tell that it does have the potential to do a decent job. To be honest both the roller applied and sprayed on parts of the panel look decent. I did not do a lot of surface prep I really just wanted to test the concept out. One key seems to be the roller itself. The high density foam one that is white with the rounded edges. I was having trouble getting it applied to the contours so I tried doing the spray and then immediatly applying around it with the roller and I cant tell where one ends and the other begins.

On a side note a few years ago I painted a Harley tank and fenders with Rustoleum spray and then used the clear coat and the thing looked awesome.

77 Macho Power Wagon LWB factory 440 70 Coronet 440 N code 3 speed
Page 6 of 85 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 84 85