J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted By RT540

I don't know the answer, but are they suggesting the 0 to 20- angles in order to make the Hans/neck restraints more effective? Because the down angle is a proven spinal issue in accidents, but think the increase in the neck restraint effectiveness might be a better trade off for their design, so I guess we should be noting with or without neck restraint in this discussion.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: E-Ticket] #2125734
08/05/16 02:36 PM
08/05/16 02:36 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Some of you guys just give plain scary incorrect advice, my guess based on nothing more than your opinion.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: Al_Alguire] #2125770
08/05/16 03:14 PM
08/05/16 03:14 PM
Odessa, Fl
B
blowndart Offline
super stock
blowndart  Offline
super stock
B

Odessa, Fl
Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
Some of you guys just give plain scary incorrect advice, my guess based on nothing more than your opinion.

This is the internet. That's what you're supposed to do. whistling

Last edited by blowndart; 08/05/16 03:15 PM.
Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: E-Ticket] #2125875
08/05/16 05:16 PM
08/05/16 05:16 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
I have built 6 sec Pro-Mods JCC and they pass tech. Because I do what the rulebook and belt makers say. See the link above for how Simpson says to mount their belts.....either level or below shoulder line, which is EXACTLY what I said. Hans or not, the angle is still the same but changes the relative shoulder placement, because of the added height. But I guess Simpson has no clue either. Is that what you are saying JCC?

According to you, block makers, the NHRA, SFI, chassis builders, belt makers and about everyone else has no idea what they are doing. Apparently all they need to do is call you and you could solve all the problems.......Hell, maybe you should run for president and fix that mess as well

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 08/05/16 05:21 PM.
Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: Monte_Smith] #2126158
08/05/16 10:47 PM
08/05/16 10:47 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
I have built 6 sec Pro-Mods JCC and they pass tech. Because I do what the rulebook and belt makers say. See the link above for how Simpson says to mount their belts.....either level or below shoulder line, which is EXACTLY what I said. Hans or not, the angle is still the same but changes the relative shoulder placement, because of the added height. But I guess Simpson has no clue either. Is that what you are saying JCC?

According to you, block makers, the NHRA, SFI, chassis builders, belt makers and about everyone else has no idea what they are doing. Apparently all they need to do is call you and you could solve all the problems.......Hell, maybe you should run for president and fix that mess as well

The problem here is you only seem to get about 40% of what I write. You have yet to address the serious already noted spinal compression issue. Not sure if you even understand how that actually occurs, Additionally, most, if not all the current online references describing harness angles with a picture/diagram and a seated helmeted driver, are showing a neck restraint system (hans, etc), that is a relatively new development, especially in the lower classes. It would be interesting to know what percentage here have/use a neck restraint. Before and during the roll out of neck restraints, shoulder harnesses were instructed to be level (perpendicular to spine), or even slightly higher angle, after the spinal compression issue arose. However it is easy to see with current neck restraints to function properly, they are in a more preferred orientation if the shoulder harness is angled lower with a neck restraint then without. I already mentioned there is likely a benefit of head restraint with potential spinal compression vs no head/neck restraint. I also suspect for legal liability, and sales, all drawn references show a head/neck restraint, ask the lawyers why.

I stand by my original statement, that you were wrong in your statement if you were implying shoulder harnesses are intended to keep you down in the seat. I never commented on the NHRA (the guys with the 2 year rule), SFI, etc

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: E-Ticket] #2126174
08/05/16 11:10 PM
08/05/16 11:10 PM
Charlotte, North Carolina
sgcuda Offline
master
sgcuda  Offline
master

Charlotte, North Carolina
shoulder harnesses were instructed to be level (perpendicular to spine),

Can't be both. Level to shoulders would put the mounting point much higher than perpendicular to spine since seats are always tilted back. If mounted perpendicular to spine, and lap belts were cinched down properly, in the event of an abrupt stop, the torso would act as a pivot point, head and shoulders trying to go forward. There would be no compression force on the spine since that would be a perpendicular motion to the straps.

[image][/image]
Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: sgcuda] #2126198
08/05/16 11:31 PM
08/05/16 11:31 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
You are right, can't be both if spine is off vertical, I think the point was anything lower then perpendicular was too great of risk of spinal compression. The more reclined the seat however, in a frontal impact, more force goes into seat bottom, and less into shoulder harness. I think we all also understand we are normally speaking upright seating, not formula reclining stuff here.

Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: E-Ticket] #2126224
08/06/16 12:05 AM
08/06/16 12:05 AM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
http://www.sfifoundation.com/wp-content/...%2006-05-12.pdf

"Butler Racing seats:
Shoulder Harness
Shoulder harnesses should be positioned in such a manner to pull perpendicular to the drivers spine."

Per SFI:
"The Anatomy of a Seat Belt

A restraint assembly consists of several components, each with a specific function. The shoulder harness is a belt assembly, one strap for each shoulder, intended to restrain movement of the upper torso and shoulder regions. An optional cross strap across the chest can be used to hold the shoulder harness together. The lap belt restrains movement of the pelvis and the anti-submarine strap prevents the pelvis from slipping forward from under the lap belt in the event of an accident."

The harness assembly is intended to keep you from moving in the seat; up, down, sideways, whatever direction you consider.

All of the information specifies that the mounting point should be no higher horizontally than the top of the shoulders and no lower than perpendicular to the spine, which if the seat is laid back 25 degrees would be a few inches below the top of the shoulders. Which brings us right back to the drawing in the rulebook which indicates the same thing. No one is specifying (or advocating) the mount to be lower than 90 degrees beyond spine angle, nor higher than level with the shoulders, which would be 65 degrees if the seat is laid back 25.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: E-Ticket] #2126234
08/06/16 12:16 AM
08/06/16 12:16 AM
Australia
O
ozymaxwedge Offline
super stock
ozymaxwedge  Offline
super stock
O

Australia
I have just fitted this seat to my sons street strip car, just setting it up but the hole for the belts in the seat is way to low.

1963 Plymouth Max Wedge
1971 Barracuda
Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: ozymaxwedge] #2126257
08/06/16 12:39 AM
08/06/16 12:39 AM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted By ozymaxwedge
I have just fitted this seat to my sons street strip car, just setting it up but the hole for the belts in the seat is way to low.

Looks like it's laid waaay back. Is that where it goes? Getting the right seat angle is a combination of getting the height, visibility, arm and leg room, head room (don't want the top of the helmet above the hoop), and comfort right for the driver. Beyond that, the harness mount and/or crossbar will need to be at the correct height in relation to shoulder height. You may need to move the crossbar up or down or fab a new harness mount. If the opening in the seat is lower than the shoulders and would cause the belts to be deflected, a different seat may be needed. Also, the belts need to be beside each other on the crossbar and some type of retainer used to keep them in place.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 08/06/16 12:40 AM.

Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: E-Ticket] #2126281
08/06/16 01:15 AM
08/06/16 01:15 AM
Australia
O
ozymaxwedge Offline
super stock
ozymaxwedge  Offline
super stock
O

Australia
CMcAllister, pic is a bit deceiving, seat position is great, top of rear bar is only about 1" below shoulder, just the hole in seat is low, we are not tall guys either. is it a big NO NO to have the belts over the seat as in the pic ? when strapped in it feel good.

1963 Plymouth Max Wedge
1971 Barracuda
Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: E-Ticket] #2126445
08/06/16 11:40 AM
08/06/16 11:40 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Online sleepy
master
cudaman1969  Online Sleepy
master
C

fredericksburg,va
I always thought the lap belt keep one from going up and foward, shoulder belts keep the upper body from going foward. The lap belt being the most important part. But I can see the belts should be custom fit for each driver, not one size fits all. Glad this post came up, now I know a little more when I put my belts in, thanks

Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: Crizila] #2126463
08/06/16 12:05 PM
08/06/16 12:05 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Other than me and one other, I see no one posting pics on this subject - although lots of discussion - and interpretations of "the right way".

seat back support.jpgrace seat.jpg

Fastest 300
Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: cudaman1969] #2126485
08/06/16 12:23 PM
08/06/16 12:23 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted By cudaman1969
I always thought the lap belt keep one from going up and foward, shoulder belts keep the upper body from going foward. The lap belt being the most important part. But I can see the belts should be custom fit for each driver, not one size fits all. Glad this post came up, now I know a little more when I put my belts in, thanks

I believe you have the most correct understanding. Shoulder harnesses do a very poor job of restricting any upper body motion other then forward. A well designed racing seat restricts the other directions much better, Surprised a racing seat manufacturer doesn't plainly state that. I also believe one if the reasons the "Y" shoulder belt was no longer approved is, in a sideways incident, the Y shoulder harness induced a lot of forces on the neck in trying to restrain sideways body movement. the neck is not a good place to apply force to restrain body movement. Same applies to our typical shoulder harness today. The Lap belt is the key component here.

The BUtler quote also mentions the submarine belt purpose. Consider, if a typical belted driver weighs 200lbs, the upper torso/head has approx 40%? of the upper body mass restrained in a forward direction by the shoulder harnesses, or 80lbs. In a 10g forward impact, that stresses the two shoulder harnesses with 800lbs of force. Assuming no frictional loss going over the shoulder, that means ea end (4) of ea shoulder harness sees 200lbs of force during the impact. That means the lap belt has additional forces pulling up (parallel to to the spine?) of 400lbs. If the lap belt is mounted at its intended angle, the lap belt wants to rotate upwards with this lower shoulder belt induced force. The abdomen, above the pelvis, is very delicate with a lot of fragile organs, and a dangerous area to impact. That upward movement is mainly resisted by a properly positioned "submarine" belt. IMO a submarine belt is mis labeled for upright seating.

Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: jcc] #2126567
08/06/16 02:52 PM
08/06/16 02:52 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Online sleepy
master
cudaman1969  Online Sleepy
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted By jcc

I believe you have the most correct understanding. Shoulder harnesses do a very poor job of restricting any upper body motion other then forward. A well designed racing seat restricts the other directions much better, Surprised a racing seat manufacturer doesn't plainly state that. I also believe one if the reasons the "Y" shoulder belt was no longer approved is, in a sideways incident, the Y shoulder harness induced a lot of forces on the neck in trying to restrain sideways body movement. the neck is not a good place to apply force to restrain body movement. Same applies to our typical shoulder harness today. The Lap belt is the key component here.

The BUtler quote also mentions the submarine belt purpose. Consider, if a typical belted driver weighs 200lbs, the upper torso/head has approx 40%? of the upper body mass restrained in a forward direction by the shoulder harnesses, or 80lbs. In a 10g forward impact, that stresses the two shoulder harnesses with 800lbs of force. Assuming no frictional loss going over the shoulder, that means ea end (4) of ea shoulder harness sees 200lbs of force during the impact. That means the lap belt has additional forces pulling up (parallel to to the spine?) of 400lbs. If the lap belt is mounted at its intended angle, the lap belt wants to rotate upwards with this lower shoulder belt induced force. The abdomen, above the pelvis, is very delicate with a lot of fragile organs, and a dangerous area to impact. That upward movement is mainly resisted by a properly positioned "submarine" belt. IMO a submarine belt is mis labeled for upright seating.

I went to the other post on proper seat belt position and read the FAA guidelines from the test they did. Very interesting read, good pics, same as what you're saying, crotch belt is very important in keeping the other belts, and the person, in the right place. NHRA rules have been out a long time and I don't know if they're up to speed with the new info of today. I mean, who has more money and clout, NHRA or the FAA to do all the test?

Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: ozymaxwedge] #2126576
08/06/16 03:28 PM
08/06/16 03:28 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted By ozymaxwedge
CMcAllister, pic is a bit deceiving, seat position is great, top of rear bar is only about 1" below shoulder, just the hole in seat is low, we are not tall guys either. is it a big NO NO to have the belts over the seat as in the pic ? when strapped in it feel good.

1" below the shoulder should be fine. The problem with your current setup is it would easy for the driver to get out from under the shoulder harness in an accident situation. The shoulder belts should come together behind the neck and be side by side at the mounting point. I use a combination couple of short "D" shaped loops with a mount for the seat brace. I've seen people use something as simple as a couple of muffler clamps to keep the belts in place. The last one I did I also had to move the hole in the seat to get a straight shot to the shoulders and prevent the belt from being deflected. Not hard with an aluminum seat. Another reason I like to use aluminum. It could be done with a poly seat, but I would want to reinforce it once I had a hole in the correct place.

Re: Poly Seat or Aluminum?? [Re: cudaman1969] #2127133
08/07/16 02:14 PM
08/07/16 02:14 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted By jcc

I went to the other post on proper seat belt position and read the FAA guidelines from the test they did. Very interesting read, good pics, same as what you're saying, crotch belt is very important in keeping the other belts, and the person, in the right place. NHRA rules have been out a long time and I don't know if they're up to speed with the new info of today. I mean, who has more money and clout, NHRA or the FAA to do all the test?

I meant to quickly clarify my comment above on submarime/shoulder harness belts loads, but was not able to get back online. Mainly, the loads/numbers I used above were more for illustration that the shoulder harness applies forces on both ends, the roll bar mount and the lap belt. The numbers I used are from the hip and likely not very precise, the variables in trying to exactly calculate, are many, and if precise numbers were needed in the real world, they could only be verified by actual testing. I hope I did get my point across even taking this liberty.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3