Los Angeles CA
xyxxjx Offline OP
enthusiast
xyxxjx  Offline OP
enthusiast

Los Angeles CA
Originally Posted By minivan
Originally Posted By xyxxjx
I took the cap off it apears to be new, and it was completely dry. The spark plug wires visually apeared ok. The idle is still not too good but appears slightly better than a few days ago so maybe something is drying up. The idle seems ok in park when the engine has warmed up a bit, but terrible for the first few minutes. When I put it in drive the rpm drops and the car is shaking a lot, feels like it wants to stall. The first video is shifting from park to drive and back again. If you turn up the sound you can hear it better. Also what is the high pitched sound over the rumble of the engine? Seems like it got a bit louder. The second video is of the firewall in the engine compartment.

Even a slight amount of moisture inside your cap will cause problems, my reason for recommending a "water displacer"...
Did you at least blow it out with air?

Unfortunately I didn't have access to air but it felt bone dry when I ran my finger inside.

1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 automatic transmission. Curb weight: 3800 lbs. All stock so far. Goal: Reliable everday driveable warmed up 400 as close to 400hp as possible, then a 470 stroker if need be. Don't protect a feminist when the collapse comes!
Re: Car wants to stall after car wash [Re: xyxxjx] #2079687
05/25/16 12:20 AM
05/25/16 12:20 AM
Keizer, Oregon U.S.A.
E
elmor353 Offline
super stock
elmor353  Offline
super stock
E

Keizer, Oregon U.S.A.
Spray the inside of the cap with WD-40. It doesn't take much moisture to cause problems.

Re: Car wants to stall after car wash [Re: xyxxjx] #2079718
05/25/16 12:56 AM
05/25/16 12:56 AM
Its a TRAP!
DARTH V8Я Offline
Oh No!! I just had a moron attack!
DARTH V8Я  Offline
Oh No!! I just had a moron attack!

Its a TRAP!
I took the cap off it apears to be new, and it was completely dry. The spark plug wires visually apeared ok. The idle is still not too good but appears slightly better than a few days ago so maybe something is drying up. The idle seems ok in park when the engine has warmed up a bit, but terrible for the first few minutes. When I put it in drive the rpm drops and the car is shaking a lot, feels like it wants to stall. The first video is shifting from park to drive and back again. If you turn up the sound you can hear it better. Also what is the high pitched sound over the rumble of the engine? Seems like it got a bit louder. The second video is of the firewall in the engine compartment.

Even a slight amount of moisture inside your cap will cause problems, my reason for recommending a "water displacer"...

Unfortunately I didn't have access to air but it felt bone dry when I ran my finger inside.

Hairdryer.. or you can buy cans of compressed air at a computer store. Handy to have when thing get wet but not in a fun way.

When it takes more than a sweet mullet to prove you rule at the trailer park..
Re: Car wants to stall after car wash [Re: DARTH V8Я] #2079785
05/25/16 02:53 AM
05/25/16 02:53 AM
Los Angeles CA
xyxxjx Offline OP
enthusiast
xyxxjx  Offline OP
enthusiast

Los Angeles CA
Originally Posted By DARTH V8R

Hairdryer.. or you can buy cans of compressed air at a computer store. Handy to have when thing get wet but not in a fun way.

I'll buy some compressed air in a can tomorrow and try. Would you recommend also trying to spray the bulkhead and all those wire on the firewall? Since they may also have been hit with water. I think I'll buy a set of these http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/40252/10002/-1. Just to eliminate the spark plug wires.

1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 automatic transmission. Curb weight: 3800 lbs. All stock so far. Goal: Reliable everday driveable warmed up 400 as close to 400hp as possible, then a 470 stroker if need be. Don't protect a feminist when the collapse comes!
Re: Car wants to stall after car wash [Re: xyxxjx] #2079852
05/25/16 09:28 AM
05/25/16 09:28 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Best on the bulkhead connector is to remove it and visually inspect. Look for signs of corrosion and heat, especially on the heavy power feed wires. After inspection, clean as best possible, grease it and re-install. I like the spray lithium grease for this but any grease will work.

If you find signs of heat and/or heavy corrosion, best to bypass using one of the many strategies (search Madd Electrical Bypass for example). This is a good idea anyhow for reliability.

Re: Car wants to stall after car wash [Re: ahy] #2080180
05/25/16 06:35 PM
05/25/16 06:35 PM
Los Angeles CA
xyxxjx Offline OP
enthusiast
xyxxjx  Offline OP
enthusiast

Los Angeles CA
Originally Posted By ahy
Best on the bulkhead connector is to remove it and visually inspect. Look for signs of corrosion and heat, especially on the heavy power feed wires. After inspection, clean as best possible, grease it and re-install. I like the spray lithium grease for this but any grease will work.

If you find signs of heat and/or heavy corrosion, best to bypass using one of the many strategies (search Madd Electrical Bypass for example). This is a good idea anyhow for reliability.

You mean this page? http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Re: Car wants to stall after car wash [Re: xyxxjx] #2080286
05/25/16 10:02 PM
05/25/16 10:02 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Originally Posted By ahy

You mean this page? http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Yep... that's the one. The bulkhead connector and ammeter (if equipped) are the trouble spots. Also to a lesser extent fusible link connections near the fender relay. I have had trouble with the bulkhead and fusible link. Others have difficulties with the ammeter. The bulkhead and fusible link can be sensitive to water.

There are several approaches to fix this... the madelectric way is one of the good ones.

Re: Car wants to stall after car wash [Re: ahy] #2080459
05/26/16 01:45 AM
05/26/16 01:45 AM
Los Angeles CA
xyxxjx Offline OP
enthusiast
xyxxjx  Offline OP
enthusiast

Los Angeles CA
Originally Posted By ahy
Originally Posted By ahy

Yep... that's the one. The bulkhead connector and ammeter (if equipped) are the trouble spots. Also to a lesser extent fusible link connections near the fender relay. I have had trouble with the bulkhead and fusible link. Others have difficulties with the ammeter. The bulkhead and fusible link can be sensitive to water.

There are several approaches to fix this... the madelectric way is one of the good ones.

I tried to unhook leftmost connector on the bulk the platic clip? Broke right off, barely touched it at all. I wasn't able to locate the fusible link could you explain in detail where it is?

Re: Car wants to stall after car wash [Re: xyxxjx] #2080619
05/26/16 12:23 PM
05/26/16 12:23 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
follow the main power line from the starter relay large battery stud to the bulkhead, it should have a molded tag on it to ID it. it was fine before the car wash water was introduced so I would continue to blow dry everything and the blast may have also undid something a bit that is causing this

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Page 2 of 2 1 2