rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
Originally Posted By xyxxjx
Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:
Are you sure the rust is from underneath?

Hmmm, let's See ... under the primer you have metal. On top of the primer you have ... nothing. Yeah, I`m pretty sure its from underneath !!

I sanded down a small area that had rust on the primer. The rust disappears half way through the primer, there's no rust on the metal. But will sand down anyway to be sure.

Primer is pretty thin, at least it normally is. You say it disappeared, the only other way rust would be on top of the primer is if your car was subjected to a metal dusting of some sort . I would review the Eastwood web site for chemical rust removers . They have a lot of tips also . Do not grind the primer off, Use a DA sander with 80-100 grit paper, you do not want to damage the metal, just remove the primer, then the rust.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Removing rust spots on primer [Re: rowin4] #2076845
05/19/16 11:52 PM
05/19/16 11:52 PM
Los Angeles CA
xyxxjx Offline OP
enthusiast
xyxxjx  Offline OP
enthusiast

Los Angeles CA
Originally Posted By rowin4
Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:
Are you sure the rust is from underneath?

Hmmm, let's See ... under the primer you have metal. On top of the primer you have ... nothing. Yeah, I`m pretty sure its from underneath !!

I sanded down a small area that had rust on the primer. The rust disappears half way through the primer, there's no rust on the metal. But will sand down anyway to be sure.

Primer is pretty thin, at least it normally is. You say it disappeared, the only other way rust would be on top of the primer is if your car was subjected to a metal dusting of some sort . I would review the Eastwood web site for chemical rust removers . They have a lot of tips also . Do not grind the primer off, Use a DA sander with 80-100 grit paper, you do not want to damage the metal, just remove the primer, then the rust.

Yes I think it's metal dust, but I'll sand down anyway to make sure. Will check out the eastwood stuff.

1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 automatic transmission. Curb weight: 3800 lbs. All stock so far. Goal: Reliable everday driveable warmed up 400 as close to 400hp as possible, then a 470 stroker if need be. Don't protect a feminist when the collapse comes!
Re: Removing rust spots on primer [Re: xyxxjx] #2076846
05/19/16 11:58 PM
05/19/16 11:58 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Originally Posted By ahy
This one is best for the first coat or two: "Rusty Metal Primer. The automotive primer in red or grey over the rusty metal primer would be optional to help smooth it. The auto primer sands better.

If you use Rustoleum best to observe label directions on re-coat time. Usually it will say "re-coat within 2 hours or wait 48 hours". I usually apply the primer in two coats about 10 minutes apart, wait a half hour or so to let it set up then apply the finish coat. If you re-coat between 2 hours and 48 hours it may wrinkle or lift.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/rusty-metal-primer-spray/

So basically I would do the following:

1. Sand down to bare metal
2. Clean with wax and oil remover
3. Spray with two coats 10 minutes apart with this product
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/rusty-metal-primer-spray/

4. After 30 minutes spray this product. How many coats?
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/automotive-primer-spray

How many passes with the spray can, would you consider one coat?

One pass would be one coat. Usually best to overlap the passes about 50%. The first pass should cover (barely) the metal and the second pass about the same thickness should cover completely.

The primer needs a top coat of some sort to last. You have several choices after applying the rusty metal primer. If you plan to replace the vinyl top shortly, best to apply some Rustoleum enamel (finish paint) in a color similar to your car... then cover it up later with vinyl.

If you want to finish paint the top and no vinyl, then a smooth surface would improve appearance. In that case, wait 1/2 hour and apply the auto primer. Wait a couple of days, sand with 220 to smooth and apply the finish paint.

With painting, more coats of primer + more sanding makes it smoother. Several coats of auto primer + sanding may be needed to get it completely smooth if you want a painted surface.

For vinyl, get it protected with primer and finish paint and lay on the vinyl.

Re: Removing rust spots on primer [Re: ahy] #2077522
05/21/16 02:57 AM
05/21/16 02:57 AM
Los Angeles CA
xyxxjx Offline OP
enthusiast
xyxxjx  Offline OP
enthusiast

Los Angeles CA
I
Originally Posted By ahy
Originally Posted By ahy
This one is best for the first coat or two: "Rusty Metal Primer. The automotive primer in red or grey over the rusty metal primer would be optional to help smooth it. The auto primer sands better.

If you use Rustoleum best to observe label directions on re-coat time. Usually it will say "re-coat within 2 hours or wait 48 hours". I usually apply the primer in two coats about 10 minutes apart, wait a half hour or so to let it set up then apply the finish coat. If you re-coat between 2 hours and 48 hours it may wrinkle or lift.

So basically I would do the following:

1. Sand down to bare metal
2. Clean with wax and oil remover
3. Spray with two coats 10 minutes apart with this product

4. After 30 minutes spray this product. How many coats?
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/automotive-primer-spray

How many passes with the spray can, would you consider one coat?

One pass would be one coat. Usually best to overlap the passes about 50%. The first pass should cover (barely) the metal and the second pass about the same thickness should cover completely.

The primer needs a top coat of some sort to last. You have several choices after applying the rusty metal primer. If you plan to replace the vinyl top shortly, best to apply some Rustoleum enamel (finish paint) in a color similar to your car... then cover it up later with vinyl.

If you want to finish paint the top and no vinyl, then a smooth surface would improve appearance. In that case, wait 1/2 hour and apply the auto primer. Wait a couple of days, sand with 220 to smooth and apply the finish paint.

With painting, more coats of primer + more sanding makes it smoother. Several coats of auto primer + sanding may be needed to get it completely smooth if you want a painted surface.

For vinyl, get it protected with primer and finish paint and lay on the vinyl.

Great, I think I have enough information to go on now.

1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 automatic transmission. Curb weight: 3800 lbs. All stock so far. Goal: Reliable everday driveable warmed up 400 as close to 400hp as possible, then a 470 stroker if need be. Don't protect a feminist when the collapse comes!
Page 2 of 2 1 2