05/14/16 07:55 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
Originally Posted By jcc
A belt that keeps you in the seat is the better design, rather then merely attached to the floor, IMO. The theory being, if the seat moves, and the belt does not, the belt then becomes loose.

That sounds reasonable, but more likely I (and the seat) will be moving forwards in a crash as the front of the car crumples in deceleration, so the belt will become tighter...

It doesn't do any good to stay strapped in the seat if the seat doesn't stay attached to the floor. whistling

Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: DrCharles] #2073538
05/14/16 10:08 PM
05/14/16 10:08 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted By DrCharles
Originally Posted By jcc
A belt that keeps you in the seat is the better design, rather then merely attached to the floor, IMO. The theory being, if the seat moves, and the belt does not, the belt then becomes loose.

That sounds reasonable, but more likely I (and the seat) will be moving forwards in a crash as the front of the car crumples in deceleration, so the belt will become tighter...

It doesn't do any good to stay strapped in the seat if the seat doesn't stay attached to the floor. whistling

I'll notify the OEM's as soon as I get a chance.

Actually I think you missed the point, no big deal, its not me in the seat. grin

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: DrCharles] #2073552
05/14/16 10:32 PM
05/14/16 10:32 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
Then how about explaining it another way, instead of being snarky?

Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: jcc] #2073555
05/14/16 10:38 PM
05/14/16 10:38 PM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted By jcc

He already explained it...^^^

1970 Challenger, all aluminum 528 Hemi, HDK suspension, Tremec 5 speed manual
Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: DrCharles] #2073567
05/14/16 10:50 PM
05/14/16 10:50 PM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
All the seats mentioned in this thread are awesome, I needed to find something more affordable for my big block Duster so I bought sport seats off ebay for a total of $200 shipped for the pair, even came with slider brackets which I always bolt straight to the floor for head room.
I think for the money they are great, I'm 6'2 230# so I wish they were a little wider but they're fine and they hold you in place very well if you do any cornering.

20151004_175018.jpg

Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: DrCharles] #2073568
05/14/16 10:52 PM
05/14/16 10:52 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
And I implied a question, which he (and you) have not answered so I will ask again explicitly:

If the seat and the driver are moving forward, and the belt is not (because it is fastened securely to the body), why does the belt not become tighter?

Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: jbc426] #2073662
05/15/16 01:16 AM
05/15/16 01:16 AM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Originally Posted By jbc426
I bought a set of Corbeau seats from Racing Seats USA. They are the wider version of their race seat. I absolutely love then. I opted for the leather version, and ordered the mounting brackets for my car. I did cut about an inch out of the brackets and re-welded them with a bit more reward tilt. They recline, slide forward and back significantly and are super comfortable with my 6'2", 260 lbs body, even on day long drives. Everyone who rides in the car wants them for their cars too.

I also ordered the shoulder/lap belts for the car, but they are not shown in this picture. They attach to the rear seatbelt mounting bolt with a single removable strap that splits into a double shoulder restraint before passing through the holes in the seatback. They connect to the lap belt. They do not have the anti-submarining strap that goes between your crotch, which is an option.

Just an observation. They do look good in that A body vert

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln
Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: DrCharles] #2073835
05/15/16 02:00 PM
05/15/16 02:00 PM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
And I implied a question, which he (and you) have not answered so I will ask again explicitly:

If the seat and the driver are moving forward, and the belt is not (because it is fastened securely to the body), why does the belt not become tighter?

It will become tighter when moving forward as long as it is secured correctly and doesn't rip out of the floor. But if you bounce off a wall or guardrail and end up going backwards it will become real loose. It's also very possible to back it into a wall or object during an incident.

With that said, my Duster has 3" lap belts just bolted to the floor with large washers. I need to decide on a factory shoulder harness or something else. This is my first street only build, I'm use to having a 5-way harness mounted to a roll cage.

Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: DrCharles] #2073871
05/15/16 03:22 PM
05/15/16 03:22 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
True, it only gets tighter going forward... although the frontal impact is most likely, at least on a street car.

I suspect another reason for having the seat and belts attached together is that it's quicker on the assembly line! work

Anyhow I think I'm going to buy new shoulder/lap belts, manual adjust, that fit the original mounting points (on the floor and roof). 3" sounds like a good idea, to reduce the loading per unit area on my body...

I have never liked retractors since they eventually get "sticky", and I worry that they may not lock when I need them to. I ran a car off the road once at 55 mph and went through the median ditch, flew up in the air and hit my head fairly hard on the roof. The belt never locked with the vertical acceleration, so fat lot of good it did me for that impact! shock

Incidentally, is there any value to the old bench seats? The driver's spot is, of course, worn out, but the rest is OK. Maybe they should just go to the dump...

Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: DrCharles] #2073949
05/15/16 05:17 PM
05/15/16 05:17 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
"succintness" is sometimes misinterpreted as "snarkiness". The strongest counterpoint to your stated conclusion has been addressed by others already, ie accidents happen in 3d, and can have have multiple impacts. My main original point, ANYTHING that allows a restraining seatbelt to loosen, has a bad outcome.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: DrCharles] #2074119
05/15/16 09:27 PM
05/15/16 09:27 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
Quote:

And which category do you think that remark belongs to?

Yes, of course if the belt loosens there is a bad outcome! And MY main original point was that I don't want to rely on my homemade brackets to restrain my weight plus that of the seat.

I plan to use "old-school" manually adjustable belts as I mentioned previously. No retractors or other inertial-locking devices. One less thing to worry about loosening.

Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: DrCharles] #2074130
05/15/16 09:40 PM
05/15/16 09:40 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I had a set of L-Body (Charger or Daytona/Laser) seats in a 67 Dart and they were very comfortable, but probably not easy to find nowadays. shruggy

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: DrCharles] #2074154
05/15/16 10:00 PM
05/15/16 10:00 PM
WI
W
wannadrag Offline
pro stock
wannadrag  Offline
pro stock
W

WI
Don't pitch the old seat as guys are looking for them.

Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: DrCharles] #2074178
05/15/16 10:23 PM
05/15/16 10:23 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
I agree, bolt the belts to the original floor mount locations . choice of belt is up to you.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: DrCharles] #2074225
05/15/16 11:30 PM
05/15/16 11:30 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

And which category do you think that remark belongs to?

I'm not sure, extreme soft sarcasm or maybe borderline snarky, does it really matter, because I think it made my point loud and clear. If it hurt your feelings, that was not the intent.

Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: DrCharles] #2074318
05/16/16 02:10 AM
05/16/16 02:10 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Might I point out that if you are concerned about your homemade seat brackets supporting you and the seat with the seat belts attached to the seat, how are you so sure the seat brackets will keep the seat in its proper location in a crash? If the seat moves, belts attached to the floor pan are worthless.

How did you make your seat brackets?
If the seats are attached to the homemade brackets with bolts in the original location on the seat, and the angle brackets are bolted to the floors with at least 2 3/8" diameter grade 8 bolts per side, a 3" diameter washer or 1/8" flat steel plate on the bottom side of the floor pan will keep the seat from moving, provided the floor pan remains intact. Modern day seat mounting brackets are attached to the floors on reinforcing plates that run from door to trans tunnel. 2" x 2" x 1/8" angle is heaver gauge metal the the seat frame is made of, and is thicker material then the floor pan is, unless its at a reinforced pan are.

The seat belts have been added to the seat frames because it is safer. Belts attached to the seat keep you in the seat, and don't loosen up nearly as easily. Seat mounting brackets properly secured to a solid floor pan stay put in most accidents. Given a choice, if things fail, I would much prefer the added protection of me and the seat staying together rather then having a loose seat beating me up as well as me flying around inside the car.

As a side note, modern day (since the early 90s) seat belt retractors are much more sensitive to locking then the earlier versions were. Modern ones lock with a swinging weight on a lever. If it gets the least bit off center, it locks, until then its pretty easy.

I've been involved with a few rod builds that have been real life crash tested. Gene

Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: poorboy] #2074630
05/16/16 05:49 PM
05/16/16 05:49 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
You realize that very few cars have the belts attached to the seats, right?

The Intrepid seats he is using only have the belt buckle attached to the seat. The retractor is attached to the car. If his seat breaks free it will simply spin around backwards and spit him out. A big lot of good that will do him.

The other thing to consider is that the belt he uses may not be 100% compatible with the buckle. It might click but will it fit properly?

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Seats for the large driver? [Re: feets] #2074852
05/17/16 12:02 AM
05/17/16 12:02 AM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline OP
master
DrCharles  Offline OP
master

West Plains, MO
Originally Posted By feets
You realize that very few cars have the belts attached to the seats, right?

The Intrepid seats he is using only have the belt buckle attached to the seat. The retractor is attached to the car. If his seat breaks free it will simply spin around backwards and spit him out. A big lot of good that will do him.

The other thing to consider is that the belt he uses may not be 100% compatible with the buckle. It might click but will it fit properly?

I'm either going to remove the Intrepid buckle end, cut it off, or just pretend for a while that it's not there... but won't be plugging a possibly incompatible tongue into it, definitely.

I also don't want one end of the belt attached to the seat and one or two of the other points fastened to the car. I'm planning to use the factory original mounting points (which are all on the car). And not an $8 Chinese seat belt either.

Anyhow, any system is only as strong as its weakest point. I may upgrade the fasteners and floor pan reinforcements. Gene, thanks for the info, can you tell me more about those "real world crash tests"?

Some day I'll have a roll bar or cage, then a whole new set of issues arises.

Page 2 of 2 1 2