Cut and Shoot, TX
kentj340 Offline
top fuel
kentj340  Offline
top fuel

Cut and Shoot, TX
Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:
For large parts like doors, trunk lid, and fenders, I'm planning to abandon Evapo-Rust and use de-rusting by electrolysis in a child's wading pool. Plenty of YouTube videos on that.

So how are you planning to remove all the paint, undercaoting/sound deadener first ????

Good questions, and I appreciate helpful comments. Exterior paint will be chemically stripped by the body shop afterwards or maybe by me. I'm just trying to remove and arrest the rust inside the pieces. Hopefully the process might even remove rust sandwiched between tight layers of steel - this is the implication in videos where rusty mechanisms like door latches work again.

The sound deadener in the doors: Not sure, but I'll take suggestions. My guess is if the deadener is tightly adhering, there's not likely to be any rust underneath. If that deadener is about the same as undercoating, I found no rust under the undercoating, and there was a slightly oily tar-like residue on the metal protecting it.

The deadener may have to go anyhow in order to remove the dozens of door dings. The undercoating was readily removable by tapping with a mallet on a non-sparking/copper based paint scraper. The relatively less hard copper base metal caused no damage or scratching at all to the steel floor pan. I guess this would be the way to go on the deadener, but it will definitely be hard to access. I could rent another heated pressure washer, but that would be a lot of trouble and cost a few $hundred.

If you don't see two dolphins, you need a vacation.
Re: Evaporust on heavy rusty metal. [Re: Dodge33] #2054706
04/15/16 12:58 AM
04/15/16 12:58 AM
Pa.
340cpe Offline
mopar
340cpe  Offline
mopar

Pa.
I have had luck after, derusting to maintain a natural metal finish, using Fluid Film. It is an aerosol, spray it on wipe it down and your good to go. I like rpm also but I do not have much luck with it in cast parts, spindles master cylinders etc. it does not seem to get into the pores of the cast metal even if heating the part.

Page 2 of 2 1 2