Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline OP
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline OP
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Bonefish I am using 273 rockers so I am going to get my lash there. Evil, people can beat an issue to death & the solution for people who are bored with it is to scroll down to the next (interesting) post and I cant say I have ever seen it at least not on Q&A (maybe I just missed it cuz it was not an issue (for me) at the time) & you mentioned preload, what I am doing is raising up the hyd lifter cup (with a steel sleeve underneath) so it is at the height which will give me the lash Ma wants for that solid cam (28-32) and (1) or (2) threads showing underneath the rocker. Since I am cutting the sleeve to any length I want to achieve the above (lash/threads) I cut it to where I wanted it & no coincidence it (cup height) ended up pretty much where the cup is on a solid lifter cuz these p rod I priorly used (Ma's cut to fit ones) on a prior eng with those 273 rockers. To recap: new solid cam/new hyd lifters (converted to solid functioning). Skicker it is a 2bbl class & yes a bit more cam that I would like but the price was right & I gotta cut a few corners here and there ($$$), not a corner I would like to have cut but it is what it is. For gears I'm gonna start out with a 4:10 7&1/4 with the 2-3 shift valve blocked (4.10x1.45=5.95) then if the 7&1/4 grenades I'm swap in the 5:57 8&3/4 and unblock that shift valve. Lilcuda you left coast guys always have the cool factor (I hope it dont grenade). However "I feel lucky". I knew there were ramp differences (hyd vs solid lifters (but this is solid cam/converted into solid lifter) and there is no ramp issue at all but I did not know that there might be a radius issue difference on the lifter bottom so I was willing to call a cam mfr Monday but if there is no issue I will continue on. Unless I am missing something (which is why I post) from eyeballin the lifter innards on both I dont see an issue with me securely blocking the cup higher as it appears that they machine the step to a certain depth & I checked both solid and hyd lifters to do my homework here & the step OD/cup ID is the same & I am just shifting it back up. I am makeing a solid lifter out of a hyd lifter (just to get the cup higher) and it appears to be (now) identical to a solid lifter to go on my solid cam with 273 adj rockers. Actually I am more worried about the 7&1/4 than I am anything else. At least on test & tune night there will be few people there so I'm gonna beat on that 7&1/4 (I'll post how it goes/if it grenades) as opposed to a DNF in the first lap on opening night! (with the crowds watching plus local TV) & yes I talked up how good I'm gonna do this year & this is the first year its gonna be televised

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: using new hyd lifters on a solid cam, a question [Re: RapidRobert] #2021665
02/29/16 02:18 AM
02/29/16 02:18 AM
Western Md.
skicker Offline
"The Champ"
skicker  Offline
"The Champ"

Western Md.
I don't know what your running for heads but I had much better luck with the smaller intake valve heads with the 2 bbl. 1.88's made a lot more torque than the 2.02's did...
500 Holley 2 bbl?

...FAFO...
Re: using new hyd lifters on a solid cam, a question [Re: skicker] #2021912
02/29/16 03:48 PM
02/29/16 03:48 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Blazin' Bob, don't listen to this gaggle of old ladies. They don't:
1. Understand the question
2. Seem to think that $200 is a lot of money
3. Understand your solution to the problem
4. Understand that the lifters have exactly the same radius, the only possibility on 0.904 lifters is the low taper 440 six pack cam and lifters.
5. Think out of the tissue wrapper inside the box, much less outside the box.

To my mechanical engineering mind, and I have done a lot of Value Engineering studies, this sounds like a slam dunk win.

How come most of the old ladies are younger than I am? Oh well, off to the Assisted Living facility for them.

R.

Re: using new hyd lifters on a solid cam, a question [Re: RapidRobert] #2022040
02/29/16 07:50 PM
02/29/16 07:50 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
I agree the 7 1/4" worries me way more. As long as the shock of the lash doesn't knock the retaining clip out of the lifter I don't see any issue. I've seen solid lifters that were 2 piece with a clip.
Doug

Re: using new hyd lifters on a solid cam, a question [Re: skicker] #2022049
02/29/16 08:04 PM
02/29/16 08:04 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline OP
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline OP
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
(1) Skicker it is a rochester 2bbl (class rules) one modified by "jet" & sold by speedway. they changed the rules and EQ mag heads are legal now but I'm having a problem getting the head gasket cooling passages to seal in that eng (wont hold 15 psi/drilled addit'l head/deck/gasket cooling holes/changed gaskets twice/eyeballed everything)) & I ain't resolved it yet so this is a backup with 308 heads (Indy rebuilt ones that have been on the shelf for years/not a good choice but I gotta get going). (2) I can always count on my buddy Dog! yes I'm thinking they were thinking ramp issues as opposed to foot radius which other than the one you mentioned they sure should be the same I would think & yeah I'm just solidly locking the cup higher but I had to ask cuz I dont know everything & I ain't a cam/lifter guru

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: using new hyd lifters on a solid cam, a question [Re: RapidRobert] #2022455
03/01/16 11:06 AM
03/01/16 11:06 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
knowledge is usually gained by doing the exact opposite of accepted practice and seeing just what happens, and if there are gains, losses or ????? and seeing just how long the results [good or bad] last. this also proves what you expect[suspect] does, or does not occur. as they say : "your results may vary......."
beer

Re: using new hyd lifters on a solid cam, a question [Re: moparx] #2022502
03/01/16 12:01 PM
03/01/16 12:01 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline OP
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline OP
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska